VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:52 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Could you post a source and track information for the credits? The usual places don't have much info.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 01:35 PM

Hoping they fixed the sound quality from the previous versions. The music itself has always been fine and well written, but the sound was always thin, pinched and dreadfully lacking any type of low end. Gives me a headache.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 08:16 PM

I agree about the sound quality, but I have to say I've never liked the compositions themselves either. It's like Daisuke Ishiwatari asked himself how he could continue to compose music that sounded exactly like Guilty Gear and ended up with stereotypical, generic versions of it. I love Guilty Gear music even if it is stereotypical and generic rock, and on some level I wouldn't even deny that, but the BlazBlue soundtracks are too much so even for me. BlazBlue songs manage to have so much going on in them and yet find me completely bored the entire time.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 02:04 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Could you post a source and track information for the credits? The usual places don't have much info.
Source was Lantis: http://lantis.jp/release-item2.php?i...622ab21a084a05
Old Nov 18, 2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonJXZ View Post
I agree about the sound quality, but I have to say I've never liked the compositions themselves either. It's like Daisuke Ishiwatari asked himself how he could continue to compose music that sounded exactly like Guilty Gear and ended up with stereotypical, generic versions of it. I love Guilty Gear music even if it is stereotypical and generic rock, and on some level I wouldn't even deny that, but the BlazBlue soundtracks are too much so even for me. BlazBlue songs manage to have so much going on in them and yet find me completely bored the entire time.
I agree. I like about half the songs enough to flip through them on occasion, thin sound quality aside. But the other half, I feel like I can't judge them fairly because of the sound quality. Personal favorites are Bang's Theme, Noel's Theme and Tagger's Theme (how can anyone not love that bassline).

Melodically though, give me Guilty Gear anyday (even though I have various issues with the recording on most of these as well).
Old Nov 19, 2013, 02:22 AM

The recording quality on Guilty Gear XX is absurdly bad. The music's just so absurdly good that it kind of disappears (a *little* bit). Isuka, on the other hand, sounds great to me. At least, I remember that when I first heard it, I marveled at how much better it sounded than XX, and it still has a number of songs I enjoy a lot. As a whole package, XX is my favorite Guilty Gear soundtrack; Isuka has songs I like more, but less songs I like overall (of course, it has less songs in total).

Oh yeah, this is the BlazBlue thread. *yawn* I listened to the first soundtrack once and never turned back to a single song from it. I skimmed the second soundtrack and was equally as impressed.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 06:50 AM

To this day, the original Guilty Gear is my favorite Ishiwatari soundtrack. It suffers from Playstation compression a bit, but you can hear all the layers pretty nicely.

Heavy Rock Tracks has major layering issues, no air between the guitars on most tracks (tracks with synth and guitars fare better). Really hard to hear the underlying harmonies, the melodies are almost too much as the forefront.

XX, the guitars sound harsh, like they weren't recorded right (I mistook them for synth guitars the first time I heard them). The recording takes away the excitement of the music, even though technically it's probably the heaviest GG soundtrack. And they got a little too cute on Holy Orders and Suck a Sage here. No complaints about Isuka, except there isn't enough of it. Overture Vol. 2 (remember that game?) didn't leave enough of an impression on me to remember anything about it.

I don't always agree with the musical direction of the Korean XX #Reload, but it's the best GG soundtrack from a straight sound quality perspective. Nicely layered, great recording, pretty much perfect. And to their credit, they did use a hashtag before it became popular.

And yeah, Blazblue.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
And to their credit, they did use a hashtag before it became popular.
Hahahaha.

I guess I should actually listen to that soundtrack. I forgot about Overture. I liked a few songs on it, but I guess it didn't leave a big impression on me either since I forgot to mention it.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 04:13 AM
VGMdb Advisor

This seems to be missing "Black Onslaught II" (Boss Ragna).
WHAT A BIG BIG MISTAKE, it would have fit disc 3.

EDIT 2018:

List of missing music (after this album)
- Black Onslaught II (Boss Ragna) [Chronophantasma]
- Silent Scream (Terumi) [Centralfiction]
- MUST DIE (Susano'o) [Centralfiction]
- VARIABLE HEART (Mai Natsume) [Centralfiction]
- God of War (Hakumen VS Susano'o) [Centralfiction]
- THE WORLD END (Boss Izanami) [Centralfiction]
- HAKAISHIN (Boss Sunano'o) [Centralfiction]
- END GAZER (Es VS Nine/Celica) [Centralfiction, actually from XBLAZE LOST:MEMORIES OST]
- Stand Unrivaled (Jubei) [Centralfiction]
- Blazblue Chronophantasma 2.0 Arcade Opening
- Blazblue Chronophantasma 2.0 Arcade Ending(?) [Stardust memory variation]
- Blazblue Centralfiction 2.0 Arcade Opening
- Centralfiction system music (title, select, menu, vs, winner, game over, etc)
- Some story tracks (including a few from older games)

Last edited by Dag; Apr 4, 2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 08:53 AM

Well, this album was underwhelming. If this was the first thing from the BlazBlue franchise to (musically) come out, I guess I would probably like it. But as it is, it's like they took the little things that I liked from the original songs out, and this album is the result. Still similar to the original for the most part, still good like the original, but not as good.

Or another way of looking at it is this is 3/4 an original soundtrack and 1/4 an arrange: most of the songs were arranged; all of the guitar solos (and song intros where applicable) are original compositions and pretty much all them not as good.

Again, I am not saying this album is bad, quite the opposite. I just can't find any reason to listen to it when I already have the superior originals. At best, BBIII is overall about on par. At worst you have MOTOR HEAD II (the ultra dark tone of the original is completely gone). Positive exceptions include Sword of Doom II (the interesting monotone vocals are replaced with proper singing) and Alexandrite II (fairly uneventful and slightly boring first minute of the original that I sometimes can't help skipping is updated with a little bit more action).

As for the actual original (new) songs in this album, I pretty much have no complaints and Daisuke Ishiwatari continues to outdo himself. The unfortunate reality is that my track list solely consists of these original compositions. My top tier songs: Science Fiction, Black & White, and SIX-HEROES. Similarly, the guitar solos once again impresses me as always: e.g. Dissonance (2:38-3:12), Justice Sword (2:23-2:54).

P.S. I also find it amusing when certain people (usually self-proclaimed GG music fans) assert that the music of BB pales in comparison to GG music by "virtue" of sounding like "stereotypical" and "generic" heavy rock/metal when the same accusation can be leveled at GG's music. It's similar to the case where certain people (usually self-proclaimed GG game fans) accuse the character design of BB as being "too anime" and therefore "stereotypical" and "cliche" when again, the exact same accusation can be directed towards GG. For fuck's sake, in the beginning, claims were made that BB's character designs were "carbon copies" of GG's character designs (e.g. red badass Sol and red badass Ragna, blue "cool" Ky and blue "cool" Jin, etc).

P.P.S. The liberal use of quote marks in the above P.S. indicates that the views expressed are not necessarily my opinion. If you want to know my opinion, proceed to P.P.P.S.

P.P.P.S. My opinion is that everything Daisuke Ishiwatari touches becomes gold. Apparently he didn't touch the arranges in the BBIII album so my statement is still valid. As for the character designs of BB and GG, I have no complaints or possess major feelings towards/against it, though lean towards positive.

Last edited by layzee; Feb 18, 2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 09:45 AM

"BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma Original Soundtrack

Disc 1

P! - 2,3,4,7,9,10,12,13,14,15,16,17,18
P - 1,5,6,8,11
F -

Disc 2

P! - 1,3,4,5,8,9,10,11,12,15,16
P - 13,14
F - 2,6,7

Disc 3

P! - 4,5,6,7,8,12,24,25
P - 1,9,17,23
F - 2,3,10,11,13,14,15,16,18,19,20,21,22

Notes: Those are some pretty crooked numbers, hardly any cuts until Disc 3 and even then, most of those are minor tracks. So the majority of character and confrontation themes survived unscathed. Of course, the album benefits (or is hurt by, depending on your take) from the samey-ness of a lot of tracks, it carries a strong orchestral/melodic power metal vibe to it. It just happens to do what it does extremely well and it fixes the mixing issues that plagued Calamity Trigger's soundtrack (you have drums and bass that sound like they're recorded in the same room now!). Still, it's a bit much to take in from one sitting. One trend I noticed is anything with "II" after it tends to be excellent, while the newer themes are completely hit or miss. Sword of Doom II is my personal highlight of the album, it features epic Jpop vocals and a soaring, majestic riff that would do the likes of Rhapsody or Stratovarius proud."

My own capsule review of this one (P! is great, P is good/average, F is fail/delete). I really want to like the original Calamity Trigger music, but it's so fatiguing to listen to (power metal in general, I can only take in small doses nowadays).

I do think the characters are at least based off the GG ones and a lot of the newer ones seem to be based on anime stereotypes, especially the females (good thing or bad thing, I'm indifferent but more than once I've mistaken Blaz for a doujin fighter). Now we have the male that everyone mistakes as a female, so we're all set to go!
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:09 PM

Why did they have to remix ALL tracks? Ugh, apart from Bang's theme everything else is really bad. On the other hand the new character's themes are pretty good. I wish there was some sort of soundtrack selection on the game.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 08:03 PM

I'm starting to warm up a bit more towards this OST. Of course this doesn't reach the heights found on GGXX's OST but tunes like Sector 7, Spirit of Fire, and Science Fiction are damn good ones.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 07:30 AM

I remember not enjoying some of the early Blazblue albums and despite the praise this album has received, I was still hesitant to buy it for over a year. I picked this up in my last order at AMZ JP, mainly because the exchange rate is so favorable, and it's so much better than I was expecting. I've only listened to disc 1 and it feels like having discovered something new that tickles tingles titillates tantalizes my brain with vibrant melodies melded by expertly blended combinations of instruments.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:54 AM

Honestly, I think many people have their nostalgia headphones on. As much as I like some of the originals and they provide a fair toss up in some cases, I actually like most of CP's remixes to the originals in most cases.

Some exceptions that stand out like "Awakening the Chaos" the original does sound better to me. However, II isn't that far off from being as great a song.

In other area's like "Catus Carnival II" I like the new version better than the original by a large margin . The orignal is still a great song, but certain aspects added to this version are an actual jump in excellence in my opinion.

Plastic Night II for instance stomps all over the original. Which I found the original way too slow, and very rough.

The new songs are amazing in my opinion such as my favorite: Six Heroes, and Sector 7 and Justice Sword. (Not sure which is my top pick)

I think the complaints on this album miss the mark. The originals for the most part and the new ones seem to set out to do two different things. For instance again Catus Carnival the first (the original) seems to be whimsical, II seems to be set out on being more melodic. Plastic Night seemed to be encaptulating maliciousness in a slower paced style (a set up depiction) while II seems to be faster paced to make it more battle oriented.

Even Lust Sin, the original was more emotionless and seemed to show the state of confusion or manipulation of the character it represented. II seem's to be a progression of their mental state showing a depth expanding from them.

Now some will come down to preference: Queen of Rose I to me is far superior to II. For the most part though this soundtrack was very solid. The only issue in my opinion is the soundtrack discs seems to have a glitch that occurs when ripping a track from disc one. Not sure if it's my copy or not.