VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 22, 2007, 08:14 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The wiki article for the game Psycho Soldier mentions it as being the first game with an in-game vocal.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:48 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Intriguing! I made a change to the artist page for Kaori Shimizu; her kanji name should be 清水香織 instead of 清水香里 (also Kaori Shimizu, but born in 1983 and has many major anime voice roles; she's also done voices for games, so we'll have to careful not to mix up the two if she ever gets entered into the artist database).
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:20 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, that's the one I mention here:

http://www.vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168

I didn't notice the difference in spelling though.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:34 AM

The vocal is actually pretty catchy. I like it. Anyway that pink cassette is just funny.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:41 PM

The character pictured on the cover of the cassette is none other than SNK's top leading lady, Athena Asamiya, who made her debut in this game. Athena was originally voiced by "Rushana" in the game.

Here are the lyrics for "PSYCHO SOLDIER":

PSYCHO SOLDIER!

PSYCHO BEAM ga hikari hatachi
Athena no sugata terashidasu no
PSYCHO POWER wo kokoro ni himete
Hateshinai michi wo hashiru
Ima wa mou aozora mienai kedo

FIRE! FIRE! PSYCHO SOLDIER

PSYCHO SWORD ga yami wo saite
Athena wa yume wo sukui dasu no
Honoo no you ni moeru hitomi
Kibou no kakera wo mitsume
Ima wa mada namida wa misenai wa

PSYCHO BEAM no kagayaki nokoshi
Athena wa mirai wo motome tabidatsu
Dare hitori shiranai ashita
Hi no tori no sugata karite
Dokomademo tsuzuku sora wo tobu no

I am extremely knowledgable on ALL THINGS Ys and LUNAR. If you have a question about either series, ASK AWAY! I will answer it to the best of my ability!

Last edited by Zhane Masaki; Aug 31, 2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:51 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhane Masaki View Post
The character pictured on the cover of the cassette is none other than SNK's top leading lady, Athena Asamiya, who made her debut in this game. Athena was originally voiced by "Rushana" in the game.
The debut of Athena Asamiya was just called "Athena" (1986) -> "Psycho Soldier" is the sequel introducing Sie Kensou
Also I wouldn't call Athena SNK's top lady, this place is reserved for Mai Shiranui.
Thanks for the lyrics, didn't even know about this SNK release! Awesome! It says enclosure, but enclosed with what? A Magazine?

Edit: looks like there is also an alternative print 10TH-114. Perhaps the CD version? Can't find any information.

Last edited by suicider; Aug 31, 2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:10 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Here is some extra info: http://homepage3.nifty.com/foruser/a...fcgallery.html
The cassette credits just "SNK" for composition/lyrics, but actually JASRAC has Eikichi Kawasaki.
(But I wonder, did he really compose them? Kawasaki is (was?) SNK's top boss, weird...).

About 10TH-114, here is some info (the site also has a bunch of obscure albums). Apparently a cassette published by "テイチクレコード", can't find much else.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider View Post
The debut of Athena Asamiya was just called "Athena" (1986) -> "Psycho Soldier" is the sequel introducing Sie Kensou
Also I wouldn't call Athena SNK's top lady, this place is reserved for Mai Shiranui.
Thanks for the lyrics, didn't even know about this SNK release! Awesome! It says enclosure, but enclosed with what? A Magazine?

Edit: looks like there is also an alternative print 10TH-114. Perhaps the CD version? Can't find any information.
Athena is about a "version" of the goddess Athena who fights several greek mythology monsters. Psycho Soldier is somewhat of a sequel, Athena Asamiya is supposed to be the reincarnation or the heir to goddess Athena, she is a Japanese school girl who learns she has psychic powers and fights against alien invaders along with Sie Kensou. Depending on the point of view, Athena is or isn't Athena Asamiya, even SNK and now SNK Playmore have had different views on the subject (i.e. KOF 98 Athena SDM, KOF 97 old heroes ending and SVC Chaos and NGBC).
Athena was SNK's first heroine, just like Michelle Heart was Capcom's, although most people put on top Mai and Chun-li because of the popular fighter games.

The cassette came as a package with the FC version of Athena, that's why is an enclosure.

According to the defunct site JGML, 10TH-114 was a CD and it included karaoke versions of the songs, however, I haven't been able to find any material that can confirm the existence of such CD.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Here is some extra info: http://homepage3.nifty.com/foruser/a...fcgallery.html
The cassette credits just "SNK" for composition/lyrics, but actually JASRAC has Eikichi Kawasaki.
(But I wonder, did he really compose them? Kawasaki is (was?) SNK's top boss, weird...).
I've found scans of the inserts and they clearly say composed by SNK, maybe JASRAC doesn't allow for corporation names to be credited and credited the president of the company instead.

I've edited the tracklist with better translations and wrote them in brackets since the cassette only lists the songs and not the tracks from the videogame. The name of the tracks appeared later in GSM SNK 1, SNK Original Best and Athena the Music, but they're nowhere in this release.

Last edited by emuxer; Nov 10, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:04 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Later I found that this album does clearly credit Kawasaki for composition and lyrics, probably trustworthy. Still weird tho.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:11 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuxer View Post
I've found scans of the inserts and they clearly say composed by SNK, maybe JASRAC doesn't allow for corporation names to be credited and credited the president of the company instead.
I've seen corporations being credited for music by JASRAC. I just checked now and there's even a lot of music credited to "SNK."
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:15 PM

Weird indeed, who knows. Only someone who worked at SNK during those days could clarify that, so I guess we should stay with the JASRAC credit.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 07:55 AM

According to the official strategy guide, there are 2 composers:
Aran Lee (BGM Composer)
Kenny Nishida (theme/ending song composer)