VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:41 AM

There are two different translations about tracklists.
2. Emerald Woodlands , The Green Green Woodlands.
6. The Millennial Azure Woodlands , The Thousand Year Old Cerulean Woods
8. The Fallen Capital of Shinjuku , The Capital of Shinjuku
13. Bird-Shaped Vane on the Roof , Bird-Shaped Vane on the Triangular Roof

Which one is correct? Would anyone explain why the translation is appropriate? If there is an official english translation, please let me know...

And if the latter is correct, please modify the tracklists in 'Live Music by Piano and Strings : Sekaiju no MeiQ 1 & 2' album to fit the translation.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:24 AM
Trusted Editor

I'll check when I get home but this just sounds like literal translation vs. translator poetic justice. There also may be a case for changing the track titles to reflect the US game translation. Sometimes there will be an initial translation and then later when the US version comes out, people will go back and change character names and locations to the US specifics. Green Green Woodlands just sounds outright terrible, though.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:32 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toor21 View Post
There are two different translations about tracklists.
2. Emerald Woodlands , The Green Green Woodlands.
6. The Millennial Azure Woodlands , The Thousand Year Old Cerulean Woods
8. The Fallen Capital of Shinjuku , The Capital of Shinjuku
13. Bird-Shaped Vane on the Roof , Bird-Shaped Vane on the Triangular Roof

Which one is correct? Would anyone explain why the translation is appropriate? If there is an official english translation, please let me know...

And if the latter is correct, please modify the tracklists in 'Live Music by Piano and Strings : Sekaiju no MeiQ 1 & 2' album to fit the translation.
Green Green Woodlands is just a bad translation, probably the first one that happened, and it probably spread around the Internet because of that. The Emerald Green Woodland makes more sense, although Emerald Woodlands makes sense as it's a very "green" green. I would say Emerald Green Woodlands is a relatively literal translation, Emerald Woodland is taking a bit of poetic license (which is fine in this case).

Millennial Azure Woodlands is also bad, the second is much better. I don't know if I would use the word "Cerulean" over "Azure" but since you're using "Emerald" for the other labyrinth track, it makes sense. I like the sound of Azure better, but it's not very specific.

The Fallen Capital Shinjuku is correct, The Capital of Shinjuku is NOT correct. There is no 'の', and the first kanji I believe describes the capital as fallen or destroyed. Omitting that is omitting a significant meaning.

The Bird-Shaped Roof one is up in the air. The kanji means "triangle/triangle" + "roof" + of + "domestic chicken" + "decoration", so I think both are an accurate description. Is triangular necessary? Probably not in the Western world, where triangular roofs are the norm. You could arguably replace "Bird-shaped Vane" with "Weather Vane", although it loses some of it's context.

Also, I haven't played Etrian Odyssey but the Woodlands locations should be pretty easy to verify what the English names are in a walkthrough.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:37 PM

The stratum levels in the English version are:

Labyrinth I: Emerald Grove
Labyrinth II: Primitive Jungle
Labyrinth III: Azure Rainforest
Labyrinth IV: Sandy Barrens
Labyrinth V: Lost Shinjuku
Labyrinth VI: Claret Hollows

Clearly, there is some poetic license with some of the translations, but based on the way the stratum looks, I'd definitely agree with their decision.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:47 PM
Trusted Editor

I edited the tracklist to include those, but I kept it as "Lost Capital Shinjuku".
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:58 PM

Whoever wrote the tracklist must be punished. I played the game, but it was after reading the big spoiler.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:52 AM

Thank you very much!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
The Bird-Shaped Roof one is up in the air. The kanji means "triangle/triangle" + "roof" + of + "domestic chicken" + "decoration", so I think both are an accurate description. Is triangular necessary? Probably not in the Western world, where triangular roofs are the norm. You could arguably replace "Bird-shaped Vane" with "Weather Vane", although it loses some of it's context.
Weathercock on a Gable Roof
describes what you're going for, though haven't seen the japanese
Old Jan 13, 2019, 01:41 PM
Trusted Editor

Linking changes from Sekaiju no MeiQ OST to here, see https://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10034 for justification.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 06:20 PM

From an OSV interview with Emi Evans in 2010:

Quote:
OSV: As an aside, we noticed you list Etrian Odyssey 1 and 2 on your videogame credits. We know a singer named Rebecca Evans worked on the SUPER ARRANGE VERSION albums that were released for these games, but we couldn’t find your name in the credits. Can you tell us about your work on these titles?

Evans: Rebecca Evans is me too! My full name is Emiko Rebecca Evans and Rebecca Evans was just the name I was using at the time. The composer Norihiko Hibino asked me to write lyrics in English and sing for a few of the tracks on Super Arrange Version. I was rather busy at the time so I asked my Dad, who is fabulous lyricist and poet in his spare time to write the lyrics for me and then I recorded the vocals. Mr. Hibino seemed very pleased with the result and I was happy to have been able to do a little family collaboration!
So should her father be credited as the lyricist instead? I dunno where we'd find her father's name though, or if that's too much personal prying.