VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jul 28, 2013, 07:14 AM

Question TOKUSATSU, TV DRAMA, MOVIE submissions

FIRST: Sorry friends for this long post.

SECOND: I just get notice about deletion of Shinkenger soundtrack submission because of "tokusatsu nature"

In this case for example these two entries should be deleted for same reason:
TYCY-5361 Complete Works of Godzilla 17 Godzilla vs Biollante
TYCY-5122 GODZILLA VS BIOLLANTE ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK

THIRD: It is also interesting to see all kind of TV and movie entries non related to anime and games allowed for Joe Hisaishi and no for other composers

It would be interesting to know some definitive fair rule for TV and movie submissions or there is applied rule ala 'All composers are equal, but some composers are more equal than others.'
There are non-anime/game related albums for Toshihiko Sahashi, Naoki Sato, Kotaro Nakagawa, Yugo Kanno, Takayuki Hattori, Akira Senju etc. but I didn´t find fair that all theses non-anime/game submissions are allowed only for Joe Hisaishi
If it is about productivity - first three mentioned composer are really productive anime composers like Hisaishi

I know that we can find some rational solution for this.

All the best
Porter
Old Jul 28, 2013, 08:55 AM
Trusted Editor

Joe's stuff is allowed here, well... because he's Joe! He's got the Joe bonus! I mean, everyone loves Joe!

No, seriously, he really is kind of an exception. And we've got Hisaishi expert dancey here, so less likelihood of screwed up submissions.
While I certainly agree that at least some of your listed composers are notable, I don't think it's a wise idea to start adding all their albums (except for anime and VGM). At least not at the moment.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 01:40 PM
VGMdb Staff

I'm not even sure what our standards on this topic are like exactly these days, so you don't need to feel bad for being confused about this situation. We originally had a category called 'Works', which was intended to be used as a way to enable inclusion of non-VGM related albums by prolific and famous composers (e.g. Uematsu's 'Phantasmagoria' album). The Godzilla albums you mention fell into this category as well. The album submission page/system has since been overhauled, so some older entries might not be properly marked as 'original work'.

As for which artists can have their albums added under this category, we never had this very clearly defined. My opinion was/is that it should be used sparingly, reserved for a small number of albums by people who are almost exclusively know for VGM/anime work.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:59 PM

We used to have a (if slightly) clearer standard, but nowadays we set a standard like 'if quality is fine everything is allowed', so that's why Western anime, novel, TV, vocaloid, or etc. are here. I know that would not be very plausible for some people, and the source of unfairness and inconsistency though. In other words, if one's submissions don't leave any works for staffs, they will be approved.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:09 AM

I would like to submit Hayato Matsuo's Gekijoban Kamen Rider 555 (Faizu) Theatrical Feature Paradise Lost Original Soundtrack + TV Main Theme album, but while researching I found out about this 5-disc box that has more complete versions of his TV show and movie soundtracks, plus a whole CD (and extra karaoke CD) of songs written/arranged by several other artists in the database. If I submitted that and put in the ton of information, obviously I'd prefer it not be deleted. So if I do a good job, would the album and box set be safe despite their tokusatsu nature?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:09 AM
VGMdb Staff

As long as the quality of a submission is good and the submitter believes it is of interest to other users, then I don't think the submission will cause any problems.