VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:20 AM

Default Where are catalog numbers obtained from in older video game soundtracks?

Hi, I completed a submission on Discogs for the Super Mario 64 soundtrack CD, and the release date and catalog number were obtained from the vgmdb. Discogs users are questioning the validity of the catalog number (2090-Fall97) and release date (November 1, 1996). I often see similar catalog number formatting on older Nintendo soundtrack CDs on the vgmdb, and I am wondering where these catalog numbers are obtained from. In addition, why would the catalog number contain 'Fall97' while the release date was in Fall '96? Thank you.

https://www.discogs.com/Unknown-Arti...release/613185

http://vgmdb.net/album/4869
Old Jan 12, 2018, 04:47 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Discogs users are questioning the validity of the catalog number (2090-Fall97)
Those albums were available for purchase through seasonal Super Power Supplies Catalogs from Nintendo Power magazine, and those catalog numbers seem to be constructed from their item numbers and the catalogs they appeared in. So the Super Mario 64 CD was item #2090 in the fall '97 catalog (page 11), for instance.

This strikes me as an incredibly bad way to assign catalog numbers, because it could also be 1660-Winter96 or 1060-Spring97 or 4520-Spring98 or—

If they aren't present on these albums at all, which they don't appear to be, then we should delete them.

Quote:
and release date (November 1, 1996)
These seem like they're based on whichever catalog they were first available in. I have no idea how accurate the specific day and month are.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 08:54 AM

Wow, thank you for that info! So it seems like the appropriate thing to do would be to remove the catalog number entirely and possibly just keep the release date of 'November 1996' since that's probably the month that the Winter 1996 catalog was issued.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 02:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The ability to specify an incomplete release date was a feature that was added later on so there might be a few album entries that were missed during the cleanup.

But yeah, the release day and catalog number have been removed.