VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:18 PM

Default Explicit "mark as read"

There is one thing that bugs me: It seems that every time I visit VGMdb, all forum posts are marked as read, regardless of which site section I visit. Many times, I only want to look up info for some CD - but "unread topics" of the forum get reset as well. Would it be possible to limit this reset only to me explicitly clicking the "Mark forums read" link?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:42 AM

agreed. every time I come on the site to look something up, I have to check the forums as well to make sure I don't miss something. I guess it'd mean either making the threads remain unread between visits, or changing the design of the site so that using anything except the forums doesn't log you in to the forums.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 04:57 AM
VGMdb Administrator

This is the default Vbulletin behavior. The read counters reset whenever your session logs out from the site, so that next time you visit, only threads that have seen activity since your last session are marked as unread.

It is possible to do what you'd like, but it is definitely more resource intensive. Here is a discussion on the subject:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=172692
Old Jan 31, 2011, 08:19 AM

This is my first post to the forum, and I haven't posted here specifically because of this issue. I'd much rather have a 'catch up' button and allow everything not read to linger as unread.
Another option, perhaps better, would be to only mark as 'visited' to the forums if you specifically enter the forums. I dunno if that'd be better or worse that the first option, or even possible with the way the site is set up.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 07:02 AM

...so....anyone have more thoughts/input/"hahaha deal with it"/etc on this?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:50 PM

hahaha deal with it

(While it would be nice to have, Secret Squirrel stating right above you that that's definitely more resource intensive tells me it's unlikely to be changed that way.)
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:43 AM

Is there a way that an upgrade of the software to whatever is latest (4.1.2) may fix some of these problems? or would it cause more? If for the better, it may be smart to ask for donations or something to upgrade. If it hurts the forums, nevermind then.