VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 31, 2010, 05:57 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Anyone know what this guy's been up to lately? I love his work on Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and I'm kinda rediscovering his work on Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year-Door which is really good.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:29 PM

Indeed! I, too, am wondering if this guy's been up to other things.

Can anyone help us out?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:14 PM
VGMdb Administrator

His MySpace bio says that he's a freelancer now (was he ever properly an employee of Intelligent Systems?), but he doesn't seem to list any new game works there or on his homepage since the Nintendo stuff from 2007/2008.

Only thing I saw that looked interesting is that he did "jingle production" for some Japanese radio show, Kakiiin. The show started in 2007, but Hirano doesn't say when he worked on it or what the extent was.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 05:53 PM

A "Taishi Senda" was credited for Advance Wars and Mario Story, but all other Advance Wars games (2 and DS feature music straight from AW) are credited to Hirano here. There doesn't seem to be any other information on this Taishi Senda whatsoever; I'm really curious where the kanji (泉田大志) come from, though Google gives some entertaining results.

Considering that all further Advance Wars and Paper Mario games were then credited to Hirano, with all of these being the first sightings of Hirano, I believe Taishi Senda is a pseudonym.

(ugh, mobygames decided to "update" too. yet another "domain squatter"-looking site, though it does look better than generation-msx's take on the concept...)
Old Sep 19, 2013, 06:36 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despatche View Post
I'm really curious where the kanji (泉田大志) come from
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge's credits are mixed J/E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despatche View Post
Considering that all further Advance Wars and Paper Mario games were then credited to Hirano, with all of these being the first sightings of Hirano, I believe Taishi Senda is a pseudonym.
Probably not. This is (likely) Senda's Facebook account, and this is (likely) Hirano's.

Purely subjectively, I'd toss in that I thought the new songs written for AW2 and AWDS were way better than the tunes carried over from AW1, and that can be explained narratively if the composer switched from Senda to Hirano.

Last edited by CHz; Sep 19, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 03:04 PM

Ah, didn't know he did Pokemon de Panepon. I did see that Facebook, but I get the impression that's a different person, even if the kanji's the same. Thing is, the new music in 2 sounds very similar, to me; I get the feeling Paper Mario is the same way. And then DS and DoR sound completely different, though the DoR CO themes evoke older AW a little... I dunno, it all just seems a little too weird, not sure what to make of any of it.

(Yeah, I dislike the utility themes in AW1, at least. Some of the (series) CO themes are really good, though... Max, Eagle, Olaf, Sturm.)
Old Sep 21, 2013, 03:28 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I called those Facebook profiles "likely" because both of them are friends with each other and several other (ex-)Intelligent Systems staffers. Neither of them outwardly identify as such themselves, though.

Actually I just realized we have a Twitter account for Hirano, and his pic there is the same as one of the photos he's posted on Facebook, so that's clearly Hirano at least.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:17 AM

I can vouch for Hirano and Senda being two different people. As I have stated before, Hirano is friends with me, but Senda will not accept. Both Senda and Saki Kasuga make comments and posts on his wall. All three are supervised by Yuka Tsujiyoko whom did score most of the games that they seem to be leading the scores with now. Like most other Nintendo series, such as Zelda from being done by Kondo to his subordinates of composers.

Oddly, Junichi Nakatsuru is friends with the IS composers. I noticed that Nakatsuru befriended Yuka first which probably led to the other friendship. I believe that Yuka and Junichi went to Osaka U. together, but not in the same class though. Many animators, illustrators, singers, composers, directors, actors, designers, come from that university. Nintendo has kept very close ties with that university.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:19 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Apparently Hirano is working on Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (!!!)
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:04 AM

Oh, Maan, what to say here?! Hmm? I think I'll start by saying this: Hirano working on Codename S.T.E.A.M. is looking to be very awe-some!!! xD
This Game's Music has both 19th century string-type instruments and rock music for the steam punk. Music is dynamic, to reflect enemy awareness of danger, etc.
Here are some samples of the Game's Soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sATOOAY-14 - Blazing Guitar action!! This song is pretty Awe-Some, I have to admit that much to it!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxCni3bkTn8 - This one is pretty atmospheric, yet, gives you a really good idea of sneaking around!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaLO44y2IqE - Pretty Nice Guitar Chug mixed with other instruments!!

Here are some Trailers to go along with these samples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SezVDf66YA - Nice songs in this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EO6NsPqBRA - HOLY SHIT!!!!!! XDXDXD My hype meter just blew over this one!!!! ROCK N ROLL STYLE FIRE EMBLEM THEME!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO!!! XD

GUYS!!! If you have anything to say over all this, please, tell me! Feed back is always appreciated!!! xD
Old Mar 1, 2015, 03:07 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Hirano is good at that chuggin' guitar action theme thing, but I much prefer his orchestral stuff, especially his strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Blazer View Post
Which is why I was swooning over the first cue in this video when I heard it in the demo. The full version is in the opening movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip01utvNLg4&t=0m36s

HIRANO'S BACK

(Everyone play the demo, the game is Intelligent Systems XCOM and it owns bones)
Old Mar 16, 2015, 04:34 PM
VGMdb Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHqZSWZSNbE&t=8m07s

Quote:
Audio Director/Score Composition Lead: Yoshito Sekigawa
Score Composition: Dimension Cruise Studio, Procyon Studio Co.,Ltd.

Sound Design: Masanobu Matsunaga, Designwave Co.,Ltd, Takeru Kanazaki, Hiroki Morishita
Cinematic Sound Design: Flarewave Inc.
Recording Engineering: Mitsuhiro Tanigawa
Performer Coordination: Nobusada Okamoto

Musical Performance
Violin: Hitomi Nishina, Ayaka Hirota, Ayana Imanishi
Viola: Yuka Kawahara
Cello: Yu Odanagi
Horn: Atsuo Hori
Flute: Natsumi Hirase
So I guess Yoshito Hirano has been Yoshito Sekigawa the whole time? Did he marry Chika Sekigawa?

There's a 関河義人 mentioned in this blog post about a concert by Intelligent Systems employees and he's called a freelancer.

Last edited by CHz; Mar 16, 2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: accidentally a word
Old Mar 17, 2015, 06:43 PM

Since when did the male take the female's surname?

On the blog you have Minanno Chikara posting, so that is possibly Chika's blog name. Then there is also shimashimakun.

I remember visiting this blog before. Yuka had posted a page on her FB wall over a year ago.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 07:44 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't know about its relative rarity compared to other countries, but it's entirely possible in Japan for a husband to take his wife's family name. Typically it's done for a economic (marrying into a better-off family) or lineage (bringing a male heir into a family without one) reasons. I'm 100% guessing that marriage is what happened here though, just want to make that clear.

The blog is a group blog with many authors and the handle of the person who made that post is にゃぁ. I don't think the title is any evidence that Chika Sekigawa is involved with the blog because minna no chikara just means "the strength of everyone" or "combined strength."
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:25 PM
Trusted Editor

It's called mukoyōshi, if anybody is wondering.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:08 AM

The credits of Paper Mario: Color Splash say that Yoshito Sekigawa is a member of Intelligent Systems; I don't know if that means that he rejoined the comapny at some point (he has been doing quite some work for them since Fire Emblem Awakening), or he is still freelance and was contracted and for some reason they have labeled him as part of IS (which would be really weird imo).
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:08 PM
VGMdb Staff

I can ask him if you want.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 02:16 PM

That would be cool, just for clarification.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 05:13 AM
VGMdb Staff

Actually, I don't even need to ask. He added it to his Facebook at some point:

Work: INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS Co., Ltd.
Previous Workplace: MIKIGAKKI Co.,Ltd, INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS
Old Sep 29, 2016, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 10, 2020, 07:42 PM

hes in charge of the new paper mario game

SOUND DIRECTOR / COMPOSITION LEAD

Yoshito Sekigawa

COMPOSITION

Shoh Murakami
Yoshiaki Kimura
Hiroki Morishita
Fumihiro Isobe

SOUND EFFECTS LEAD

Masanobu Matsunaga

SOUND EFFECTS

Yuki Hisamatsu
Kengo Hagiwara
Daichi Ishihara
Yuuki Toujinbara
Kanae Uchiyama

SOUND DESIGN / SOUND EFFECTS

Yuki Kusuhara

HD RUMBLE

Kazuki Komai

SOUND ENGINEER

Yasutoshi Tanaka

RECORDING ENGINEER

Mitsuhiro Tanigawa
Takafumi Wada
Ryosuke Kawasaki

SOUND COORDINATION

Yuriko Kikuchi

INSTRUMENTS / VOCALS

Macoto Hirose (Violin)
Ayana Imanishi (Violin)
Koichiro Muroya (Violin)
Yu Kosakai (Violin)
Akiko Igaki (Violin)
Atoko Noda (Violin)
Wakana Noguchi (Violin)
Yuka Kawahara (Viola)
Hyojin Kim (Viola)
Yu Odanagi (Cello)
Masateru Nishikata (Cello)
Noriko Ozaki (Flute)
Yukari Seki (Flute)
Natsumi Hirase (Flute)
Yuya Deguchi (Oboe)
Erika Hashizume (Oboe)
Sayoko Ito (Clarinet)
Hana Fujita (Clarinet)
Shizuka Matsumoto (Bassoon)
Kwandae Park (Sax)
Takeshi Higashikawauchi (Sax)
Kohei Shibata (Sax)
Atsushi Inoue (Trumpet)
Koji Shionoya (Trumpet)
Michitaro Mochida (Trombone)
Atsuo Hori (Horn)
Yuta Nakagawa (Guitar)
Makiko Naruo (Erhu)
Yuko Nago (Vocal)
Yumiko Fukui (Vocal)
Kiyohito Shimakage (Vocal)
Osamu Matsumori (Vocal)
Yuriko Kikuchi (Vocal)
Katsu Shijima (Vocal)
Ritsuko Shijima (Vocal)
Yoko Shimomura (Vocal)
Shizuka Komatsu (Vocal)
NATSUMI (Vocal)

SOUND SUPPORT

Kenichi Nishimaki
Takeru Kanazaki
Daichi Aoki
Masato Nakamura
Jumpei Ikawa
Shota Fukagawa
Hiroaki Hanaoka
Old Jul 10, 2020, 10:38 PM
VGMdb Staff

That's a nice surprise. I was fully expecting this to be another Kanazaki project.

With Sekigawa in charge, hopefully there will be some TTYD vibes.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:21 PM

That sounds great, even if I was hoping that Yuka Tsujiyoko did contribute to this as well like in the original Paper Mario.

Hopefully, there will be a soundtrack release by Tablier Communications or sort of in the distant future.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 03:07 PM

I contacted Yoshito Sekigawa/Hirano on Facebook, so Chimeratio and I could try asking about composer breakdowns for the Paper Mario games (I specifically referenced TTYD and Origami King). Unfortunately, I got the reply I feared:

Quote:
"残念ながら誰がどの曲を作ったのかは公開されていないためお教えすることができません。申し訳ありません 。"
(Roughly: "unfortunately, who composed what song hasn't been publicized, so I can't share it. I'm sorry." )

After asking him if there was any chance the information would be revealed in the future:

Quote:
"公開につきましては未定となっております。
ただ通例として、もしサウンドトラックが発売されたら作曲者や編曲者など公開される可能性があります。

ご丁寧なメッセージを送って頂いたのに立場上ここまでしかお伝えできなくて申し訳ありません。

英語が話せないため下記にDeeplでの翻訳を載せておきます。

We have not yet decided on a release date.
However, as a general rule, if the soundtrack is released, there is a possibility that the composer and arranger will be revealed.

I'm sorry that I can only tell you this much in spite of your kind message."
(Thanks dowolf for helping to translate; according to him, the "we haven't decided on a release date" is actually more like "We currently have no set plans for releasing it")

Yeah, nothing surprising here, and not exactly new information either, but I felt it was worth noting for the future, just so everyone knows what the official word on this is (and so other people don't waste their time asking the composers themselves). Sadly, it seems as though any composer breakdown for the Paper Mario series shall remain a mystery.

Last edited by KTB; Dec 21, 2020 at 05:57 PM.