VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 1, 2013, 06:04 PM

Unofficial Composer Breakdown--not that many fans know or care about this extremely obscure game's soundtrack.

HS / Hitoshi Sakimoto
SH / Shinji Hosoe
AS / Ayako Saso

01 Opening (HS)
02 During Lesson (HS)
03 Castle (AS)
04 Castle Town (AS)
05 Church (AS)
06 Sunlight (HS)
07 Lunar Eclipse (AS)
08 Dawn of a Bright Star (AS)
09 Ecstasy (AS)
10 Aaa, Again (AS)
11 Premonition (SH)
12 Tear (SH)
13 Love (HS)
14 National Funeral (AS) [the chord progression is very Sakimoto-like, but feels too restrained for his style]
15 Coronation (HS)
16 Ending (HS)
17 Perfect Prince (HS)

Last edited by Jormungand; Dec 1, 2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 04:44 AM

I purchased and actually played the game but if I remember it correctly, the game has a sound test with official composer breakdown.

You'd be also aware of it, but the 14th track is partly reminiscent of Handel's Sarabande. I've suspected there is a homage.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 03:03 PM

Hmm, someone should get on checking that sound test. I only have the soundtrack CD.

I didn't know about the Sarabande (I'm not especially reliable when it comes to Handel), but I can easily see it. National Funeral is totally baroque.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 08:38 PM

Anybody willing to sell their CD? Preferably for under $1,000. Far under.

Like, really far under.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 07:01 AM
Trusted Editor

Cedille, if you still have the game, you should check the sound test again. I would look into it, but I can't even find info about the game online, haha.

Last edited by dissident93; Dec 5, 2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:31 AM

Yeah, it would be very interesting if someone could look up this.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 01:26 PM

I can only really tell a difference between Hosoe & Saso when they do electronica, but the ones you have listed for Sakimoto are 100% definite. Although, I'd give National Funeral to Sakimoto. He's used that kind of subdued style in other works. I just can't think off the top of my head at the moment.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:37 PM

With huge thanks to a tip from a very kind forum member, this proud new owner of the CD has submitted a new display image!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglepoo View Post
I'd give National Funeral to Sakimoto. He's used that kind of subdued style in other works. I just can't think off the top of my head at the moment.
I think you might be thinking of "Black Sun" from the Legaia DuelSaga soundtrack. They're actually a bit similar, even in melody at the beginning, despite "Black Sun" being based on that game's main theme. I'm inclined to agree "National Funeral" is likely Sakimoto's. But I'm not greatly familiar with Ayako Saso or Shinji Hosoe's non-electronic music.

Hey Jormungand, I'm curious what compositional features make you think Hosoe did the two tracks you attributed to him?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
Hey Jormungand, I'm curious what compositional features make you think Hosoe did the two tracks you attributed to him?
Premonition: the voicing of the minor 7th chord in the beginning, the performance quality of the harpsichord (which is very lilting and nonclassical), and the mellow string sample (well, the whole piece is mellow) make me think of Hosoe. It's obviously not Sakimoto. If it were Saso, I think the keyboard part would be more classical, and the sequencing would be tighter, and brighter.

Tear: General jazz harmony inflections throughout. It's not that Saso doesn't do jazz, but rather that it's that "mellowness" again. The chord progression really isn't something I would expect from Saso. Also, it's sort of an unusual ensemble... piano trio, and jazzy... (but this ain't gypsy jazz. )

These two are really the odd ducks of the small soundtrack, in that, stylistically, they're quite different from the more full-bodied orchestral classicism of the rest.

You're both probably right about National Funeral.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:54 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Tear: General jazz harmony inflections throughout. It's not that Saso doesn't do jazz, but rather that it's that "mellowness" again. The chord progression really isn't something I would expect from Saso. Also, it's sort of an unusual ensemble... piano trio, and jazzy... (but this ain't gypsy jazz. )
then what of this and this? :P

edit: I think I misread you, haha.