VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 6, 2008, 09:10 AM

Default Details about the 5-star rating

Hi,

I think more details should be provided regarding the 5-star rating results. As it stands now, only the rating appears. Perhaps some details could be provided next to the rating to show the users who had voted and the total number of votes, so we can see whether that rating actually means anything. For instance, there's no way to know if a 2.5-star rating was given by only one person or averaged out by ten. The number of votes in this case makes a big difference. I mention showing who votes because by looking at their other ratings, it would be easier to know what type of music each user prefers. It could be that the user who voted didn't like that particular genre or the music simply wasn't that good. Either way, providing details about the rating should give more weight to the rating to users who aren't familiar with a particular soundtrack.

Thanks

PS An option to undo a rating would be great as well.

Last edited by L3000; Dec 6, 2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 09:27 AM
VGMdb Advisor

When you hold your mouse cursor over the stars, a popout will appear which shows the number of votes and the average of those votes (example: "8 votes, 4.44 average").

So at least some of the info you're looking for is currently shown, but I'm not sure if you can bring up a user profile that would list what ratings they've given what albums though.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 09:30 AM

Oh I didn't know about that tidbit, thanks. But hopefully the other things I mentioned can be added in the future.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 09:52 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, we'll definitely have a more detailed breakdown of ratings (for albums and individual users) soon. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 03:49 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

While ratings are a subjective thing, it would be good to make sure everyone is on a level field of thought when making their rating choices, and thus descriptions for each of the star levels would be a very good thing.

E.G.
1 star = Absolute rubbish. Completely devoid of musical and/or production qualities. Akin to hearing nails on a chalkboard.
5 star = Phenomenal. A truly exceptional album that withstands the test of time. Holds its place on a top favorite albums list.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 03:48 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Note that the rating system is now no-refresh single-click AJAX, with the option to cancel an existing rating. That takes care of one of the suggestions.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 04:25 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Note that the rating system is now no-refresh single-click AJAX, with the option to cancel an existing rating. That takes care of one of the suggestions.
I noticed the new rating controls. Super slick stuff. I like it.