VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:48 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Products database - Preview stage

Editors and staff should be able to check out the new product database (do a refresh if you can't see the product icon on the nav bar). You can't link products to albums or tracks yet, but you can browse, add and edit.

A quick explanation of the product classes: Franchises are collections of titles, and titles may consist of many releases. Releases are the "physical product" that consumers can actually obtain, so albums and tracks will ultimately be linked to these entries. There may be some cases where a title has no releases, or where all releases of a title share the same music; in this case the music can be directly linked to the title.

As for product browsing, eventually I plan to only have franchises and titles listed; releases can be summarized according to their platforms.

To add a franchise or a title independently, you can use the "+" button on the nav bar; to add a title to a franchise, use the franchise's edit page. Similarly you can add releases to a title using the title's edit page.

You can leave feedback regarding the interface in this thread.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:13 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Looks pretty interesting, if a bit daunting (massive number of titles). Some quick suggestions:

- Being able to add franchises to franchises would make sense.
e.g.- Megami Tensei (franchise) -> Persona (franchise) -> Persona 3 (title) -> etc
That way you can check both the "parent" and "children" franchises. If it isn't possible (db issues and that), maybe an "add titles to this franchise from this other franchise" option, or a "superfranchise" for these cases?

- Some special denomination for "spiritual" franchises?
e.g.- Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma basically aren't related but they are more or less a trilogy. I'm not sure if "franchise" would be an appropiate term for these titles. Another example could be Love-de-Lic's spawns (Moon, Giftpia, Chulip, etc) which aren't related at all, but share key staff and similar themes. Of course it could be debatable when a bunch of titles deserve their own franchise.

- A search/link system when adding titles to a franchise.
Like when you link an artist to an album and it automatically tries to closest ones. IMO it would better to separate the addition of new titles and franchises, and link between them later.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Your points can be taken care of when I implement custom relations. The relation entries you see right now are franchise->title->release relations which are read-only since modifying those will likely result in complications (although I'll make that restriction apply only for title->release relations). You'll be able to manually add relations on top of those, so you can have multiple layers of franchises or titles if you want. You can denote other relationships between products of the same class -- will have to work out the nomenclature.

Presently you can add titles and franchises separately. When I implement custom relations the interface will involve search/link (and I'll be using a similar interface for linking from albums).
Old Jun 18, 2010, 05:27 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I thought I'd give this a bump. I've been trying to wrap my mind around the problem of finding the right levels of of complexity and differentiation in the hierarchy.

For example, unless I'm mistaken most titles will have either one game or one anime series. Yet, you have to drop 2 levels from a franchise to get there*. Something about this hasn't seemed right to me, but I don't have a better solution.

* granted, album links should propagate upward, so you may find what you need at the title level

As for custom relations, I think that all that's needed is that franchises can contain both titles and franchises.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:41 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I've done a bunch of work for this, implementing the edit queue, website submission, and the basics of album-product linkup. I bet you can guess what I used for our first album.

There's still a lot to think about before anything is finalized.