Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 29, 2011, 06:40 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Default Album Scans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodo Kast View Post
I so no reason to completely scan a page in the booklet with Japanese text, since that will inefficiently use storage space.
If you worry for vmgdb storage space.. you should not.
If the scans all have a reasonable size, it's fine.

It's very frustrating to have incomplete scans, but i can understand.
But my question was more about our new scan caption names.
Since the booklet is incomplete, we do really have to indicate what the page are representing and not "numbers" at all.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
If you worry for vmgdb storage space.. you should not.
If the scans all have a reasonable size, it's fine.

It's very frustrating to have incomplete scans, but i can understand.
But my question was more about our new scan caption names.
Since the booklet is incomplete, we do really have to indicate what the page are representing and not "numbers" at all.
I can assure you that you are not missing anything relevant. It is unhealthy and a sort of "madness" for you to want "complete" scans of the booklet, since much of the booklet does not have anything useful.

The point of the booklet scans is to provide textual information. If the artwork is important, then you should buy the CD yourself.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
If the artwork is important, then you should buy the CD yourself.
Really??!! This place is to archive things like that.

Last edited by PerfectZer0; Jan 30, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:08 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodo Kast View Post
I can assure you that you are not missing anything relevant. It is unhealthy and a sort of "madness" for you to want "complete" scans of the booklet, since much of the booklet does not have anything useful.

The point of the booklet scans is to provide textual information. If the artwork is important, then you should buy the CD yourself.
The point Myrkul is making is, if we have a complete set of scans we know for sure all the info there is. Is something is missing we don't.
We need to label properly when a scan set isn't complete.

Some members, particulary for old albums, use scans to check if the copy they got from auctions is complete (ex.- we have obi scans, but their copy doesn't > incomplete, ripoff).
Other like myself read the JP liner notes to extract unlisted credits, which most owners can't do themselves, etc.

If you click on an scan you can see the number of views. It's almost always very low with like 3 views. Even popular albums like FF13 have only ~50.
In other words, I doubt anybody will use your scans for piracy and replacing the whole album without buying it.
Of course it's your choice to upload stuff or not, and completely reasonable and respectable. Just wanting to point out we use scans here for archiving, not collecting or piracy.

(BTW I added an English tracklist)

Last edited by Dag; Jan 30, 2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Just wanting to point out we use scans here for archiving, not collecting or piracy.

(BTW I added an English tracklist)
Thanks for adding the TL. I also don't believe you're using the scans for piracy, nor was I implying that. I just feel it's more efficient to scan the text in liner notes (when there is a lot of it) and delete the remainder of the image.

I'm not clear, though, why it's legal to upload some information (the artwork) and illegal to upload other information (the music). I'm not implying the music should be available. I'm just curious as to why images (data) are somehow different from music (data). Both the music and the artwork were made by humans, which probably don't want their work copied.

Logically, one would surmise that uploading the cover art should be illegal, since it is a part of the album.

Also, logically, since you're archiving the artwork, you should also archive the music. Since the artwork is not being used for piracy, the music could also not be used for piracy. From this angle, it becomes clear that, through logic, there is something wrong with making a distinction between artwork and music.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:09 PM
VGMdb Administrator

There are some other legitimate reasons for archive scans, namely so owners can verify the integrity of their product, and to assure that it isn't a bootleg. We do however recognize that scans are the most questionable thing we do here.

However, the gulf in opinion is wide. This is not a productive topic to argue here.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I'm not clear, though, why it's legal to upload some information (the artwork) and illegal to upload other information (the music). I'm not implying the music should be available. I'm just curious as to why images (data) are somehow different from music (data). Both the music and the artwork were made by humans, which probably don't want their work copied.

Logically, one would surmise that uploading the cover art should be illegal, since it is a part of the album.

Also, logically, since you're archiving the artwork, you should also archive the music. Since the artwork is not being used for piracy, the music could also not be used for piracy. From this angle, it becomes clear that, through logic, there is something wrong with making a distinction between artwork and music.
With an album, the primary thing being sold is the music itself. The physical object (including artwork) is usually a secondary consideration. That's probably the main reason.