VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 9, 2009, 09:52 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)
Default Games Without Soundtracks

Sup all.

I was just thinking of discussing some awesome Video Game Music that has not yet received an official soundtrack release.

First up is some music that I've been obsessed with for quite awhile and I feel that it definitely deserves a soundtrack release: Mega Man Network Transmission. The music for this game was composed/remixed by Shinji Hosoe, Ayako Saso and Yosuke Yasui and most of the songs are techno style with some rock infusions, there are some industrial styles too.

I hope that the following link is alright to post here, but for those of you that have never heard the music to this game, here's where you can listen to the entire game rip: The Mega Man Network. My favorite songs from this game are: VS. Zero, Abnormal Gravity Area - GravityMan Stage, Garden System - NeedleMan Stage, Power Plant - ElecMan Stage, Zero Account - Zero Stage, Internet Area - Basic Stage, Relaxation, VS. Life Virus R, Blazing Internet - FireMan Stage, and Old Generation Area - SwordMan Stage.

I wonder why other Rockman/Mega Man games received a soundtrack release but not this one with all of its great music. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the game itself wasn't all too popular, although, I have read several game reviews that almost always highlight the music to this game as being "catchy" and 'the best part of the game'. For me personally, I can't think of a single Rockman title that sounds as catchy as Network Transmission other then, possibly, Rockman 8 Metal Heroes Original Soundtrack.

Several months ago, I posted in the "Other Soundtracks That You Want Published" thread on the Cocoebiz Forum (here) requesting that this music be published, but that was a long time ago and I don't think that many persons were interested in that time.

So anyway, that was my input on this music, feel free to continue the discussion or discuss about other Video Game Music that you think is worthy of a soundtrack. Cyaz.

- KeyLogic

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old May 9, 2009, 10:37 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I've always had a peculiar fondness for the music from Drakan: Order of the Flame. It's usually attributed to Tim Ebling, but according to this page he only wrote two tracks while the rest were presumably contributed by contractor studios.

This is the particular track that I loved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIKzAvy4o-8
Old May 9, 2009, 11:22 PM

I'd kill for an official Resident Evil Survivor release. Also, who the hell is Shiro Kohmoto? Has he done anything else?
Old May 10, 2009, 06:15 PM

if there is a series that deserves big, beautiful box-set release, it's Monkey Island.
Old May 11, 2009, 04:44 AM

Armed Police Batrider.
Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Zero Mission, together.
Old May 11, 2009, 05:52 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conker 64 View Post
if there is a series that deserves big, beautiful box-set release, it's Monkey Island.
Agree, i would love a Lucas Arts adventure game music box, with monkey island, indiana jones, maniac mension, day of the tentacle, full throtle, sam & max, zak...

Some recent adventure games music would deserve more attention too.
I am thinking about Benoit Sokal games.. etc..
Old May 11, 2009, 05:56 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgb View Post
Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Zero Mission, together.
And almost every Nintendo game in the last 5 years. Metroid Prime 2, Prime 3, Zero Mission. Zelda: Twilight Princess. The last few Fire Emblem games (5-track "premium" albums don't cut it). Mario Kart Wii.

Simply put, Nintendo's new "no soundtracks" policy is stupid.

Some albums that I wish existed:

Elnard (7th Saga) OST
Forever Kingdom (Evergrace II) OST
Illusion of Gaia OST
Konchuu Wars (Drone Tactics) OST -- Nintendo DS game, Sakuraba composed
Langrisser IV OST
Xenosaga Ep. II In-Game Music (Shinji Hosoe)
Old May 11, 2009, 07:12 AM
Trusted Editor

I am still waiting for Liarsoft to release a soundtrack for their 13th project, SEVEN-BRIDGE. All that exists is a fanclub exclusive drama CD but this does not nearly do justice to the excellent music in the game.

The game contains more than 80 BGM tracks which is an insane amount of music for a visual novel, yet all of them are named BGM No_01 ~ BGM No_85.

Also it is still unknown who composed the music. The official website credits "Elements Garden and more". The ending video specifically credits Elements Garden for the OP theme and Blueberry&Yogurt for the ED theme. Another website credits ZIZZ for the BGM but there is no confirmation whatsoever.

The game contains music from all over the world and all eras: swing (In The Mood, Sing Sing Sing), tango, Irish folk, anthems (Marseillaise, Land of Hope and Glory) and traditional music, such as a beautiful piano version of "My Grandfather's Clock". And probably a lot I didn't identify so far.

Besides that there is a fair amount of original music that is just as good, quite a few sad piano themes, some ambient music, occasionally music that I could just describe as "railroad travel adventure music", and even some downright weird tracks towards the end.

edit: Actually, forget about that! It's for the most part production library music from GMP Music. Now I'm wondering if it even has any exclusive BGM aside from the OP/ED. So after all most of the music is by people like James Hardman, it seems...
Guess now I'm a fan of James Hardman..

The ED theme however, Inliyor (by Blueberry&Yogurt, performed by Rita) is a classic that seems to be the closing track in a lot of vocal albums and has even been performed unplugged.

The trailer music can be found here, Inliyor can be heard here. Unfortunately the "SEVEN-BRIDGE Opening Theme" has been deleted from Youtube

Last edited by Teioh; May 11, 2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old May 11, 2009, 07:27 AM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
And almost every Nintendo game in the last 5 years. Metroid Prime 2, Prime 3, Zero Mission. Zelda: Twilight Princess. The last few Fire Emblem games (5-track "premium" albums don't cut it). Mario Kart Wii.
And let's not forget a complete soundtrack to Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Some other games that I would love soundtracks for are:

Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future
Shenmue II
Rocket Knight Adventure (or an arrange album)
Sonic 3D Blast (Sega Genesis version)
Sonic & Knuckles (the original soundtrack, not the remix)
Star Fox Adventures

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old May 11, 2009, 08:54 AM

Super Mario Kart, Sim City, Pilotwings. They've been represented to some extent on various releases, but none of them had a dedicated OST release

Also, Jewel Master.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:27 AM

Was thinking about creating a thread like this 2 weeks ago, nice timing.
Anyway, there's some alreay mentioned, like Zelda TP and SSMB, but those are a given, of course. For me, one I can think at the moment is Zedblade. I'd kill for a Manabu Namiki Early Collection, it is that fun.
Oh, and every MD Sonic game, of course.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old May 11, 2009, 10:33 AM
VGMdb Staff

Also the Capcom's "Dungeons & Dragons:Tower of Doom" doesn't have a dedicated OST.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:48 PM

The 16-bit Sonic era has deserved a box set of some kind for quite a while now.

Ditto the Fire Emblem stuff, too.
Old May 11, 2009, 02:50 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

God, I have too many too list. Many of my all time favorite soundtracks have no album releases. Here are just a few:

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - I'd go to great lengths for a Full Sound Version of this.
Dragon Valor - Neat PS1 soundtrack done by some little known composers.
Ikaruga - Would be cool to have some arrangements on the album from SuperSweep/Basiscape.
Jet Moto 1 & 2 - These have Red Book Audio, but a CD containing both soundtracks could easily be done.
The Ninja Warriors Again - My favorite Hiroyuki Iwatsuki album!
Opoona - Best Basiscape album since FFXII. Better than Odin Sphere or any of that junk.
Plok! - The soundtrack that introduced me to the greatness of Tim Follin.
Ratchet & Clank series - Specifically Deadlocked, Going Commando, and Up Your Arsenal.
Old May 11, 2009, 03:20 PM
Trusted Editor

Along what have been already mentioned, Golden Suns do need a soundtrack release.
Old May 11, 2009, 05:22 PM

Marvel vs. Capcom 2's soundtrack was never released as far as I know. The player select screen's theme is one of the catchiest tunes I've ever heard and I wouldn't mind buying the album just because of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n_qfTVjyJo

And I also wanted soundtrack releases for Langrisser IV and Ikaruga...
Old May 16, 2009, 09:20 AM

Opoona immediately comes to mind. One of Basiscape's finest soundtracks, and unfortunately, one the very few without an official release.

Last edited by strugglepoo; May 16, 2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old May 17, 2009, 05:56 AM

I would sell my kidney for a Beyond Good & Evil cd release.
Old May 17, 2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika View Post
I would sell my kidney for a Beyond Good & Evil cd release.
I never got to hear this soundtrack but I heard that it was good. But come on, a kidney?! You could probably get it for a spleen or something.

Old May 24, 2009, 06:19 PM

I don't think Digimon World 3 for the PSX ever had an official soundtrack release. It has some surprisingly good music for a game nobody has played. That's probably why nobody ever made a rip of it.
Old May 26, 2009, 06:34 AM

I would like a Golden Sun OST Box and a Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars OST. The ZOE rips have an annoying noise.
Old May 26, 2009, 07:42 AM

I'm all up for an official Golden Sun release, and would love it if they include some arranged pieces, as well.
Old May 26, 2009, 10:57 AM

Castlevania Legends and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, both in one album please.
Old May 26, 2009, 01:06 PM

I still think the music to Tomba! and Tomba! 2 was beyond awesome, they deserve better than crappy gamerips :/

Otherwise more XBLA games should release at least free soundtracks. I thought PowerUp Forever and Hexic HD had strangely addictive atmospheric soundtracks...
Old May 26, 2009, 02:57 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance Wolf View Post
I don't think Digimon World 3 for the PSX ever had an official soundtrack release. It has some surprisingly good music for a game nobody has played. That's probably why nobody ever made a rip of it.
I think the FIRST Digimon World had an OST release, and none after that did.
Old May 26, 2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
Castlevania Legends and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, both in one album please.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Soundscape View Post
I still think the music to Tomba! and Tomba! 2 was beyond awesome, they deserve better than crappy gamerips :/

Otherwise more XBLA games should release at least free soundtracks.[...]
AgreedĀ²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
I think the FIRST Digimon World had an OST release, and none after that did.
And that is correct; it was this one.
Old May 26, 2009, 04:02 PM

Oh yeah, I agree re: Opoona. I'm getting that game based on the music played in the youtube vids of it!

Some other stuff I wouldn't mind being released include:
a COMPLETE Worms Armaggedon OST
Flipnic (PS2, I even hunted down the composer but he didn't have the rights to the music D: )
Age of Booty (XBLA)
Mutant Storm Reloaded & Mutant Storm Empires (XBLA)
Old Jun 22, 2009, 08:19 PM

A COMPLETE Donkey Country Trilogy soundtrack would be great, as well a COMPLETE Banjo-Kazooie/Banjo-Tooie Soundtrack.

- Batman NES (Nobuyuki Hara, Naoki Kodaka)
- Complete Bionic Commando NES Soundtrack (Junko Tamiya (Gondamin))
- Castlevania III Famicom Version Soundtrack
- Dracula X SNES Soundtrack
- Complete Contra & Super C Album
- Contra Hard Corps
- Crystalis (Yoko Osaka)
- Double Dragon NES Trilogy Soundtrack
- Rygar NES Soundtrack
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time Arcade & SNES Soundtrack
- Sunset Riders Arcade & SNES Soundtrack
- Final Fantasy Origins Soundtrack
- Lufia 1 & 2 Soundtrack
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:25 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think these already have soundtrack releases:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukaCola View Post
- Castlevania III Famicom Version Soundtrack
- Final Fantasy Origins Soundtrack
- Lufia 1 & 2 Soundtrack
The original title of the first game is Akumajou Densetsu which can be found on the Akumajo Dracula Famicom Best compilation album. The English version of the game that has downgraded music capabilities however, does not have an official release.

The second game, if you're talking about the PlayStation versions are simply known as Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy II. The PlayStation FFI+II music (and probably PSP which should sound the same) can be found in the Final Fantasy I & II Original Soundtrack. I'm pretty sure most other version FFI+II music (e.g. Bandai WonderSwan, Gameboy Advance, etc) have not been officially released.

The third game is known as Estpolis Denki and both of the games' music can be found on the Estpolis - Game Sound Legend Consumer Series Biography Estpolis Sound Track.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 08:23 PM

Kudos to Kaleb.G for mentioning The Ninja Warriors Again: An awesome sleeper SNES title with a great soundtrack. Also, to NukaCola for bringing up Dracula X SNES. This game takes way too much flak, so its good to see some love.

Man, if I could have any album released... what would it be? Probably a Hitoshi Sakimoto Mega Drive collection with Midnight Resistance, Verytex and Gauntlet IV.