VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:30 AM

Default MUSIC IN ONGOING ANIME TV SERIES: Your Thoughts

Hi there friends,

I created thread for fall season while ago but it seems to not be best idea because of its focus on one anime season.
So I am creating this thread which should not to be dependable on anime season.
New season is already starting so it will be interesting to read few of your thoughts:

RED DATA GIRL (Hikaru Nanase):
I quite starting like this anime and music in last episode was excellent. There is really nice visual style of anime with lot o f nature images and score based mostly of piano help to create atmosphere.

All the best
Porter
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:09 AM

I was watching Date a Live: Episode 1 (Go Sakabe) and first I was surprised with dark orchestral opening theme and then pantsu shot (atmosphere was killed) and comedy music - one of better cases with guitar melody reminding me 30´s jazz music something like what you could hear during playing Mafia I. Overall music was good but anime not and I don´t know if I have enough strenght to watch second episode.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:48 AM

Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge had some excellent pieces. The tune is very menacing and ominous so far. Seems like this is going to be a comedy/horror anime and to honest that's a combination i haven't Takanashi do before. I know he's done horror before but this is a combo i'm excited to see .
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:50 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
I was watching Date a Live: Episode 1 (Go Sakabe) and first I was surprised with dark orchestral opening theme and then pantsu shot (atmosphere was killed) and comedy music - one of better cases with guitar melody reminding me 30´s jazz music something like what you could hear during playing Mafia I. Overall music was good but anime not and I don´t know if I have enough strenght to watch second episode.
Well it sounds like it might have some interesting music if the character PVs are anything to go by. This is the composer's first soundtrack so it's hard for me to say much else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t0gUBVQlXE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlLn5nDRXM4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AytCKBRQJu0

I'm not going to watch it because it's obviously mindless nonsense (and not in a good way).
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherhead333
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge had some excellent pieces. The tune is very menacing and ominous so far. Seems like this is going to be a comedy/horror anime and to honest that's a combination i haven't Takanashi do before. I know he's done horror before but this is a combo i'm excited to see .
It's been 3 years since Shiki so it's great to hear this kind of music from Takanashi again. There wasn't a whole lot of music in the first episode but I'll be keeping up with this one.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 02:21 PM
Trusted Editor

I checked out the first episode of The Severing Crime Edge today. While the story seems to be totally stupid, the music itself is really beautiful. I don't think I'm going to continue watching this, but I'm keeping an eye out for a soundtrack release.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:22 AM
VGMdb Staff

Fukasawa's ominous atmospheric soundtrack for Aku no Hana was all ambient/electronic with some light piano here and there. He said before it aired that he had to create unusual music for this unusual anime... and it certainly was unusual.

Shingeki no Kyojin (Sawano) didn't have much music during the first episode, at least until the end. Lots of chorus and percussion going on in those last 5 minutes of the show. It's definitely Sawano and we'll certainly be getting more orchestral music when the action starts. And, of course, he recorded a vocal theme with Mika Kobayashi as usual.

Last, but not least, Majestic Prince has some great orchestral music. It's Toshiyuki Watanabe doing what he does best: scoring a sci-fi/action series. Will be one of the best soundtracks this season for sure and it's 2-cour so expect a good amount of music.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 04:33 AM

AKU NO HANA: strange and also little bit interesting anime and music really helps to create weird atmosphere - electronica and piano works great in anime but I can´t imagine to listen this music from CD.

MAJESTIC PRINCE: Orchestral and "brassy". I am always thinking that "Mecha" genre can inspire composers to creating their best work. Hope for soundtrack CD

UTA NO PRINCE SAMA 2: In style of first series there is really beautiful uplifting music with light strings and some jazzy influences by dynamite duo of Elements Garden - Junpei Fujita and Hitoshi Fujima. This will be no brainer for me even if KICA will again release soundtracks in DVD+CD combo packs, damn it!

HYAKKA RYORAN SAMURAI GIRLS: It is standard Kato what is great, but I will wait for more music in next episodes.

DEVIL SURVIVOR 2: Anime so so, but I will probably watch this because I didn´t remmber lot of music from this...only some electronica-ambient driven tracks

PHOTO KANO: Certainly in top three - light string arrangemens with piano and some good groovy keyboards. Anime...ehm don´t know what to think about it...

YAHARI ORE NO SEISHUN: I don´t remember music from this anime at all but quite like a concept. I am curious what will brings this in next episodes

KARNEVAL: Hamaguchi!...and so far also very little music which I recall from this but anime concept is good.

HATARAKU MAOU-SAMA: Best from anime this season I really like it and also notice music more than in Karneval so...high hopes for this
Old Apr 8, 2013, 08:38 AM

I'm genuinely surprised at how good the music in Photo Kano is. I thought it would be some cliche slice of life tunes but i actually enjoyed every track that i heard in it. Had a good variety and awesome piano pieces.

If it didn't have so much Takanashi bias i'd put it at the top this season :P.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 08:47 AM
Trusted Editor

Photo Kano more or less distracted with me with this high amount of boob/panty shots...
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:49 PM

Suisei No Gargantia |Taro Iwashiro|
Beautiful orchestral music by Taro Iwashiro with interesting action music and quite well noticable - one of best this season.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:57 AM
Trusted Editor

@Porter: Agreed. But not only the music seems interesting, the whole anime is. Perfect first episode in my opinion, hopefully they can keep up that level.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:05 AM
VGMdb Staff

^ watched the second ep too (promo bluray with the first two eps was released well before tv airing), great stuff. imho it's extremely promising show: art, animation, story, the feel of the world is just that good atm. Oh yeah music is quite nice.
Still, being another Urobuchi show, who knows what horror awaits lol

If it stays good and sells well, maybe there'll be another season, who knows... (only 12 episodes planned).

Last edited by Efendija; Apr 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:38 PM
Trusted Editor

I gave Aku no Hana a try. Very impressive visuals -- I kinda like the almost rotoscaped character animation. And the story is deeply disturbing. Definitely continuing this one too.

EDIT: Should say something about the music as well. Not exactly music here, but more like soundscape. I can only say that it really emphasizes the images here. This brooding ambience plus the piano... woah...
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:11 PM
Trusted Editor

Read some more bits about Aku no Hana and the animation technique really seems to employ rotoscoping. Gives some very distinct visuals -- not for everyone I guess, but at least they try something different.

Also watched ep2 of Suisei no Gargantia. Music and story continues to be great. This is one of the few shows which really has this immersive effect. When the episode ended I was like: "WTF, it is over already?" -- if this were a book, I'd probably read it in one session

I probably also like it since it shares some similarity with Full Metal Panic! on the mecha level (relationship between pilot and mecha AI).

Then I gave Shingeki no Kyojin a try. But it's probably going to stay a try. First ep already put me off. The brat is extremely annoying and I have this general feeling that it's going to be a lot of this "exaggerated" drama -- something which I can't connect to. Also the music didn't strike me as particularly interesting (sorry nextday!).
Old Apr 13, 2013, 04:25 PM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, it seems like they go all out on drama.. and showcasing budget of course (that 3D bell xD); sometimes I'm fine with it. Not in this case though. I'll watch it a bit more before I definitely drop it, just to be sure I guess... And seriously most of the characters Yuki Kaji is voicing are annoying as hell and this is no exception.

Gargantia on the other hand is a pleasure to watch.

I've started Hataraku Maou-sama which could be a totally ok short comedy show. Music doesn't stand out which is probably good.

btw I'm not watching Aku no Hana but have seen some flaming threads It really isn't for everyone, it appears so. Although one more complaint I've read is the rotoscoped style is poorly done, as in it could have been much better... along with comparison youtube video from a part of some other show (that uses the same technique apparently) or something... The highly detailed background art is praised though. Regardless, people just don't seem to like this obviously much, much more realistic style probably because they're used to seeing what 90% of the shows throw at them.

inb4 was this off-topic too much??? Nope, impossible haha
Old Apr 14, 2013, 01:13 AM

Karneval 2nd episode - This time I notice music - some light orchestral stuff during big cat presentation and nice guitar based funky track during flight to Circus ship and also some dark themes. Hope for more good tracks in next episode.

Just watched Valvrave and Akira Senju delivered great score - beautiful orchestral melodies with solo femal voice. Anime...I like the mecha design and fight scenes.

@LiquidAcid: Full Metal Panic! this was amazing anime with great score by Toshihiko Sahashi.

My favorite track (M9)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icOqM8yc-io

Last edited by Porter; Apr 14, 2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:14 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
@LiquidAcid: Full Metal Panic! this was amazing anime with great score by Toshihiko Sahashi.

My favorite track (M9)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icOqM8yc-io
It's still my favorite mecha anime and also generally ranks very high among the anime which I've watched. I don't think I've seen a better hero/heroine pairing in another work, a pairing where neither the male nor the female part feels superfluous at time. Just a really beautiful mix.

Until another season of the anime comes out (if it ever will *sigh*), I keep on reading the translated FMP! Sigma manga. I don't think anyone is seriously working on the light novels atm (which were finished IIRC?).

From the first season I especially like Counterattack (which should be one the OST Vol. 2). It gives this really epic herioc feeling

From the TSR season I'd say Victory, the last track on the OST before the ED theme.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 02:26 PM
Trusted Editor

Update:
Watched Aku no Hana, ep3 just now and it still creeps me out. Which is good, because that's just how it's supposed to be! *g*

Also inspired by my thoughts about FMP! I deciced to rewatch this. Taking into consideration that the first season by GONZO is from 2002 (!), this masterpiece hasn't aged at all and still retains its charm.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:19 PM

Attack on Titan and Valvrave are the two tops this season imo.

I really hope no tracks are left out in the ost release of attack on titian. I don't think i've come across one reused track so far. And all of them are splendid.
Old May 8, 2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherhead333 View Post
Attack on Titan and Valvrave are the two tops this season imo.

I really hope no tracks are left out in the ost release of attack on titian. I don't think i've come across one reused track so far. And all of them are splendid.
I want just write that Valvrave score is going better and better with each episode but with Senju on composing duties it is no surprise.

Also really like music in Karneval - in last episode was used some great tunes - specially like use of choir in one chasing scene.

This season mecha scores are awesome. Iwashiro, Senju and Watanabe composed excellent music.
Old May 27, 2013, 02:49 AM

Oh man I REALLY hope Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge doesn't get shafted and ends up not getting an OST release. I'm really hoping some solid info on it's release date shows up soon or i'll be very worried . There are so many tracks that have captivated me so far and it's only getting better.
Old May 27, 2013, 04:53 AM
VGMdb Staff

The BD/DVD don't have bonus CDs included so that implies Pony Canyon will release the soundtrack. They released his Fairy Tail soundtracks and Oda Nobuna so they have been trustworthy so far.

I guess they are just a bit late with this one.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:04 AM

I certainly hope so D:

Btw has Majestic Prince gotten a release date yet? I searched for it and nothing came up on here or cdjapan.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I certainly hope so D:

Btw has Majestic Prince gotten a release date yet? I searched for it and nothing came up on here or cdjapan.
I hope this won´t be case ala Space Brothers animation Box Sets with bonus soundtracks...
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:02 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
I certainly hope so D:

TOHO's catalog looks like this right now.

THCS-60000: Majestic Prince OP
THCS-60001: Majestic Prince ED
THCS-60002: ???
THCS-60003: ???
THCS-60004: Fantasista Doll OP
THCS-60005: Fantasista Doll ED

Either the missing ones are new OP/ED or 2CD soundtrack. Majestic Prince currently has drama CDs listed for all 9 blu-ray volumes.

EDIT: Is new OP/ED, not soundtrack. So the soundtrack, if released, is going to be released later than August 21st...

Quote:
Oh man I REALLY hope Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge doesn't get shafted and ends up not getting an OST release. I'm really hoping some solid info on it's release date shows up soon or i'll be very worried . There are so many tracks that have captivated me so far and it's only getting better.
Possibly bad news. Blu-rays were originally listed with no bonus CDs but it updated the other day and now there are bonus CDs. No more info at the moment other than that vol.1 has a drama CD.

Quote:
The soundtrack was mastered today and it is 77 minutes long. So I don't think they are leaving anything out.

Last edited by cal; Jun 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 08:39 AM

Not really TV, but I don't want to start a new thread for a single question.

Has anyone seen the new Code Geass OVA? Any thoughts? I really loved Ichiko Hashimoto's work on RahXephon and I was wondering what she'd do with another anime score.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:14 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
Well it sounds like it might have some interesting music if the character PVs are anything to go by. This is the composer's first soundtrack so it's hard for me to say much else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t0gUBVQlXE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlLn5nDRXM4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AytCKBRQJu0

I'm not going to watch it because it's obviously mindless nonsense (and not in a good way).
Little bit off-topic.
I am listening soundtrack now and there is lot of amazing music like killer funky track "Cycling" but what I am enjoying most is inclusion of pipe organ in track 2 and 5. Also really good orchestration there.
Interesting action track "Zadkiel" reminds me little bit Goldsmith´s style of writting.
This is case where music is really better than anime tv series
Even I am now curious how some tracks work in anime...
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:31 AM

Default SUMMER ANIME MUSIC SEASON 2013

New anime season started friends and I am awaiting some coments here

1. Kamisama No Inai (Hiromi Mizutani): Mixed feeling from anime, but music was quite good in sort of chamber gentle mode.

2. Inu To Hasami (Nijine): I don´t know what to think about this anime - dog and masochistic woman writter with scissors...
Music was so so, string orchestra moments were good, rock track also...comedy music awful as always No really breathtaking moment so far...
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:30 PM

Brothers Conflict is pain to watch because of reverse harem but music by Takeshi Nakatsuka was excellent. Nice strings writting in beginning and then interesting jazzy and big band music with nice solos - flute one was specially good.
I really hope there will be soundtrack.

Last edited by Porter; Jul 3, 2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:18 PM
VGMdb Staff

If you're a fan of Nakagawa check out C3-bu. There's this 4 minute long jazzy track near the end of the first episode and it's excellent.

Fun show too.