VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 13, 2007, 05:57 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The picture of the back of the case actually shows the proper artists. I've moved Yoshiharu Kabuto and Kohichi Ohta down to the arrangers field, and put Yukiharu Urita as composer.

This resource may be useful: http://www.geocities.co.jp/Hollywood/4764/gmcd/cd33.htm
Old Nov 7, 2009, 03:58 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Just to confirm: I know "The Eternal Recurrence" seems to be the subtitle given to the PC Engine version of the game. Whereas the MSX2 version (according to GameFAQs) was "Tower of Gazelle" (which had an EGG MUSIC digital release).

So what I don't understand is this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/turb...ta/916167.html

Check out that release date. 1994! This CD, for "The Eternal Recurrence," came in June '93. IS THIS FOR THE TCD VERSION? I think it might actually be for the MSX2 version. That or gamefaqs has bad data (that wouldn't be a big surprise I suppose...)

Just doing research on this in preparation for a review on RPGFan.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:24 PM

xak precious package: the tower of gazzel is a different game, a sort of bridge between xak ii and iii, and was released for a bunch of platforms itself.

the eternal recurrence is the subtitle of all xak iii versions; pc-98, fm towns, and pc engine cd. pc-98 is original, of course; fm towns and pc engine cd seem to have been published around the same time and likely share the same soundtrack.

the cover for this album is the boxart for the pc engine cd version, but everything else suggests this album is for the pc-98 version. that version allows you to select cm-64 as output; all the tracks listed for it on this album are different there, iirc. i'm not sure what "Dawn before" is from, though.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;_;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

edit: this album sounds just like the pc-98 version. the fm towns version is more like the pc-98 one, but the fm implementation sounds a bit different. there are also a few tracks on the cd that play at certain times.

Last edited by Despatche; Nov 3, 2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:25 AM
VGMdb Staff

I tried my hand at a translation of this tracklist. Just let me know if there are any issues with it.

Translation notes:
since I haven't played the game I can't be sure of some of the more ambiguous tracktitles.

list of names where i could only guess as to how they were intended to be written
(and since the game was never officially released in english it might not even be possible to say for certain):

ファーランド / Farland?
ウェービス / Webis?
ギンガヌール / Ginganuru?
ガフー / Gafu?
ガロア / Galois?
ゾム・ディザエ / Zomu Dizae?

kanji notes/questions:

出航: Does it imply a depature by a specific means of travel? If so a more specific wording might be in order.
暗黒大陸: It seems this can be used to refer to the African continent, but I'm guessing that's not what is meant here?
夜叉: I guessing it's safe to assume this refers to a Yaksha?

Also, I re-added the サーク III 全曲集 title even though we don't have any visual confirmation(?), since it's pretty much unanimously used on Japanese pages about the album and since it was a common naming scheme for this publisher at the time.

Last edited by seanne; Nov 3, 2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:02 PM

Sorry to cram all of these into two giant paragraphs but:

Farland should be fine, e.g. Farland Story. XyZ uses "Wavis", "Ginganul", "Goloa", but they also use "Gahoe" and "Zekishis"; these are likely taken from or sent to the translation. I think we should keep what's official; I'm not sure whether we should use "Gahoo" for ガフー or not (it's another case of switching fu for hu, something I'm torn on, but it's done "right" here), but "Xexis" is perfect. I thought "fearless" was フアレス? フアレス seems like "fairless", which is also what the album and games use. "Zomu Dizae" should be fine, I don't think there's any other way to romanize those crazy names (other than Zamu Gospel, of course).

出航 seems to have more to do with ships than anything else, and you do get a ship around that point. XyZ refers to 暗黒大陸 as the "Land of Darkness", and apparently there was a "Land of Fire" in the first game; small change, I think. I don't know whether to call "Tera incognita" clever or official; the Wavis claim that it is a forbidden land generally unknown to them etc. Also, decided to change 妖精界 to "fairy" for some reason, that's what people like to use.

Yes, we desperately need material. I heard there's a guidebook for Xak III but I'm not sure how official it would be.

The CM-64 section is not material made for the disc, it's a sound option for the PC-98 and FM Towns versions; I think at least one of the songs sounds entirely different from the FM original. I'm not sure how to gracefully note it's part of the game while keeping the album's statement.

edit: whoa, this album has an extra bit to "The voice of Moon" that I've never heard before. i think this ost has more than it looks. wonder if the egg version has any of this, other than the complete cm-64 soundtrack.

Last edited by Despatche; Nov 3, 2012 at 05:21 PM.