VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Miscellaneous > Archives > Game Remixes Forum Archive 2009-2012
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 9, 2009, 06:16 AM

Default Reviews

Although I've been trying to advertise more action being taken in reviews in most of my posts on the forum, I don't feel like anyone's really taking it seriously even though reviewing is something that we can do not to only improve others' abilities, but also improve our own through really being able to flesh out what we like and dislike in others' works. Instead of reviews, what we have is people making empty remarks in the forum or empty votes on our pieces. These actions serve nothing of substance to anyone, really.

Therefore, I again implore you all to start reviewing rather than just rating. And I'm not talking about just reviewing your favorite song; no song in the competition is perfect and we all need everyone's assistance. I personally have not yet voted on everyone's song yet because I'm taking the time to think about each and every one and am trying to give feedback based on what I hear. And, most importantly, I'm trying to be critically constructive, pointing out what I perceive as both the good and the bad, rather than posting something that may piss someone off (I don't say this because I think someone else has; rather, based on the forum posts I can't say that people will necessarily be well poised. I feel like, Kidd, you may think that as a shot to you since I commented on it in the other thread, but it's not; actually, your review of dabeat's song is a good example of something that people should do more of).

In short, review, be constructive, and aid us all.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 04:55 PM

Default Agreed

I agree. I'm new to remixing and I find it incredibly disappointing that people take the time to be ignorant a-holes and rate every one of my remixes one star with no real feedback as opposed to actually reviewing them. And this has happened with every single one of my remixes. (I mean jeez, they can't be that bad XD)
Old Mar 1, 2010, 08:18 PM

umm... where is this all taking place? There's no songs on your comp page. Are they on the new site or...?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 06:39 AM

I wanted to point out that the experience system provides a point for each detailed review posted. While I haven't yet completed the ways to spend experience, experience points are currently accumulating on the site and they will not be reset as more experience-based features are added.

Hopefully the prospect of gaining experience will encourage people to post reviews. If you want to earn a few quick points, review a few songs and you can keep track of the experience gained by selecting "manage experience" from the menu bar.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 06:24 PM

Smile

Quote:
umm... where is this all taking place? There's no songs on your comp page. Are they on the new site or...?
They're kinda new, my first uploaded was in mid-January. Since then I've uploaded five WIPs. Not quite sure why you couldn't find them EDIT: I'm sorry, I read that as "are they new on the site" for some reason. . . they're on remixSite. But all of the one star votes seem to have. . . magically disappeared now or something? Before one of my songs had only one rating of one star, and now it has two votes with 6.5 stars. And my other mixes have boosted in ratings also, as if they were never rated one star. Idk, go figure, lol XD

I like that idea, Quintin. I really have nothing to add because I'm kind of a n00b to the site and wouldn't know what I'm talking about, but I'd just like to say that I like your intentions with this site, and would love to see it do well in the future. People who join here have the freedom to share their own interpretations of VG music, but don't have to have skills like those which OC require. And I think that's a great thing.

Last edited by TheGuitahHeroe; Mar 4, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:11 PM

@ TheGuitahHeroe
It's not just you, I didn't/couldn't find anything. Sorry about that I would definitely have listened by now. I'll check tomorrow anyway if I have time and good luck! EDIT:!!! Quintin might still have the site set up to mask votes. In that case you won't know your score until after the whole thing has finished. Bot posts random scores.

@ Quintin
People are as people do. Although your idea will help no end, let's not forget that people review for their own reasons too, even without incentive. Just don't want you or anyone else to feel that we don't review for any other reason than "we can't right now".

Last edited by Omnomnomnom; Mar 4, 2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 10:42 AM

I've found that when people say they are "too busy" to do something, it really comes down to "I don't want to do it." For example, if I called someone and asked him or her to go snowtubing, as I did recently, and (s)he says that (s)he's "too busy," it really means that (s)he would rather do other things. In this case, the person went on a trip to Philly for the weekend instead. If I had offered the person a free vacation to a tropical island, then (s)he would have have been "too busy" to go to Philly.

Even comparisons between work and leisure activities can be looked at this way. Take someone who is "too busy" in work to play video games. What that really means is that the person wants to work harder in order to get a raise, or to impress the boss, or to simply retain the position. If the person was a Final Fantasy diehard fan, though, then I wouldn't bet on him being too busy at work for games on Tuesday.

The idea of experience points is to make reviewing just a tiny bit more important. With enough visitors, at least one person will be tipped over that edge of not being able to review right now and will tell someone else they are "too busy" while they finish writing the review
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:02 PM

Incent all you want. If I'm "too busy" or "couldn't be arsed" I won't post. Regardless of "points". It's no disrespect to anyone, I can be honestly enthusiastic about someones work, and not post anything, because I am, legitimately busy. I make games, play games, have 2 bands, run my house, etc.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:24 AM

dont censor my posts. there's nothing personal about business and there was no personal attack here. mods can go back and revert the changes and see for themselves.
http://www.tempsoundsolutions.com

Last edited by shawnphase; Mar 10, 2010 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Post was censored because it was a personal attack.