VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 5, 2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
It's the truth
You mean it's the truth that you frequently see conversations about Sakuraba that bring up his tendency to produce the same sound over and over again, or it's the truth that these conversations are "more popular" to elicit? Because those statements effectively say two different things; one says you simply notice an incredibly large amount of people all saying the same thing about a particular composer, and the other says you think these people are all agreeing on that same thing just because it seems "cooler" to do so. One is a pretty plainly true statement while the other is a pretty plainly offensive statement.

I'd ask you to let me know which one you really think is the case, but to be honest with you I don't care either way so please don't bother to answer. Trying to dissect people of varying opinions into two different groups in order to label one type of person the "lesser" of the two groups is pretty inane and perhaps you've noticed that it's always the group that likes ___ composer doing this to the people who dislike ___ composer because they tend to find themselves on the "more understanding" end and thus can look down on the people who "just can't appreciate something". When a large quantity of people voice a common opinion, it shouldn't matter whether the opinion is positive or negative so long as it's honest, but unfortunately, people who like something seem to be incapable of understanding that.

At any rate, seems pretty clear who the real "haters" are; those intolerant of others' honest opinions.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:07 PM

I'm sure he is talking about NeoGaf or Gamefaqs conversations where it is popular to talk shit about Sakuraba, specially for those who never listened a Sakuraba soundtrack aside Tales of.
And a lot of people saying progressive rock is instrument bashing and things like that, it's pretty terrible to read music conversations in those boards.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFGalaxy View Post
You mean it's the truth that you frequently see conversations about Sakuraba that bring up his tendency to produce the same sound over and over again, or it's the truth that these conversations are "more popular" to elicit?
Maybe read the whole paragraph of which you quote a part of:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Bashing Sakuraba is more popular than praising him, has been that way since the fatigue that apparently set in somewhere after Baten Kaitos 1. I personally think there is enough diversity to be had to actually pick the pieces one likes (and considering the sheer amount of work old and new I'd think it should be helpful and interesting to many). But everywhere Sakuraba is discussed beyond a simple name drop the train always takes the predictable "all the same anyway" turn before it even gets to that point.
By "everywhere" I'm talking about English speaking sites that I frequent or can find on google (for the sake of keeping up with more obscure news usually). It's true others (like German and some other languages I partly understand) are more positive, but often they aren't much beyond a name drop.

Also the negativity, or rather strong filtering of works, is not a Sakuraba-specific thing. It seems in general composers are too often rated by their popular work and the rest may as well not exist. Uematsu appreciation is still very common, but his new work is barely noticed regardless of quality. Mitsuda did a lot of work for the Inazuma Eleven games and anime, but all I read so far (not much at all, mind you) is essentially dismissing those as kiddy stuff. And so on.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that it's a sad state of affair that there is little effort to point to more obscure unique pieces that people may like but many reminders of "this sounds the same as that, which I already disliked".
Old Dec 8, 2015, 04:44 PM

Oh, so you were talking about websites in general? My bad then. You only picked a thread where people were saying stuff you didn't like about Sakuraba to make that statement in, so perhaps you can understand my confusion

Ironically, Sakuraba's "different" stuff is not nearly as enjoyable as his "samey" stuff - at least, to me. Didn't want to go on about it and be even more "negative" but people have mentioned Labyrinth no Kanata a couple of times in this thread and I find that soundtrack incredibly boring. I listened to it twice through and to this day there is not a single song from it I ever revisit. I would take any "samey" Star Ocean or Tales soundtrack over Labyrinth no Kanata. I credit him for doing something different, but at the rate it sounds like that, I kind of don't care. I'd rather him do... this, Star Ocean 5.

*shrug* Anyway, I'm doing being "just another Sakuraba basher", carry on about Star Ocean 5

(Which by the way sounds like a perfectly fine soundtrack if not a little familiar.)

Last edited by RFGalaxy; Dec 8, 2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:30 AM

An example of what Datschge said:

from Gamefaqs:
"On the other hand, basically everything he's done since SO3 has ranged from forgettable to garbage."

Baten Kaitos, Baten Kaitos 2, Valkyrie Profile 2 and Arrange/Live/Voice Mix Albums, Trusty Bell, End of Eternity, Infinite Undiscovery, Golden Sun 3, Dark Souls, Tales of Rebirth, Tales of Destiny DC, Tales of the Abyss, Valhalla Knights 3, Star Ocean 4, Labyrinth no Kanata, Forest of Glass, Passage, After All/What's Up, Valkyrie Profile DS, Kid Icarus, Phantasy Star Nova, etc. everything is garbage or forgettable.

And talking on-topic, from the Streaming we have listened new themes and he is on-fire, the new town and dungeon themes are gorgeous.