VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 25, 2011, 01:24 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Today must be the "ask Kaida" day, because I too sent her an email before seeing this thread. She must be like "wtf, why are people asking now". Better chance for a response I guess.

To hell with remakes! Actually I don't hate all of them. Only those that reek of laziness, keeping the same game and changing just the graphics or basic tweaks. Give me something new, life is short! Put them in the virtual console or something. Actual remakes like Romancing Saga Minstrel Song, Tales of Destiny PS2 or even Lufia 2 DS are cool.

Btw, didn't the BoF team became the Dead Rising team? Anyway the series closure with Dragon Quarter was so good, we need no more. Chances are they'll never surpass it anyway. Ha!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 01:29 PM

is there a PSF set in existence that has tracknames matching the special box? or alternatively, any way you could clarify which songs those are in accordance with the old OST/psf set?

i'm probably going to end up retagging all this crap, too :P
Old Aug 25, 2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Today must be the "ask Kaida" day, because I too sent her an email before seeing this thread. She must be like "wtf, why are people asking now". Better chance for a response I guess.

To hell with remakes! Actually I don't hate all of them. Only those that reek of laziness, keeping the same game and changing just the graphics or basic tweaks. Give me something new, life is short! Put them in the virtual console or something. Actual remakes like Romancing Saga Minstrel Song, Tales of Destiny PS2 or even Lufia 2 DS are cool.

Btw, didn't the BoF team became the Dead Rising team? Anyway the series closure with Dragon Quarter was so good, we need no more. Chances are they'll never surpass it anyway. Ha!
This will help corroborate my story! In my email, I mentioned that a bunch of us were trying to figure out the tracklist, etc.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:00 PM

let's massmail other composers for having details on albums which have no details =)
or a petition

revolution: we want details, details, details
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
is there a PSF set in existence that has tracknames matching the special box? or alternatively, any way you could clarify which songs those are in accordance with the old OST/psf set?

I don't think so, but I just re-downloaded the PSF set so I'll work on matching the tracklists.

(If I can pull myself away from playing Xenoblade, that is...)
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post

OK, it's done!
Attached Files
File Type: txt BREATH OF FIRE III OST-PSF TRACKS.txt (5.4 KB, 5 views)
Old Aug 28, 2011, 04:08 PM

dankeschon! will propegate these tomorrow~
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:02 AM

great, that's done finally. thanks again for whipping up that text file. i've updated the set with the three most recently confirmed songs, too. so i make that 10 confirmed songs thus far, 9 if you don't include the sigh of the fairy acid jazz track from the first disc (#101 #105 #119 #206 #234 #301 #311 #322 #324 on the special box - let me know if somehow missed any that are also known.) not bad! certainly insightful. going to refamiliarise myself with your guesses now.

is it worth adding all these credits to the special box album notes at this point do you think? or maybe it'd be best to wait and see what Ms. Kaida says. the older album has the credits in the notes but not the newest three songs (assuming they're even on it anyway.) really hoping she helps us out here :>
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:39 PM

Here's the response from Kaida.

Hi Don,
Sorry for the delay to this message.
Well, unfortunately I cant answer to you about this because CAPCOM has all rights reserved for the tunes of "BOFIII", although me and Yoshino wrote all the tunes. For us this is pretty easy to remember which wrote which if CAPCOM allow us to tell. I am sure it's not something like they wanna prohibit about this though, we, the people who do not work for them anymore basically can not say something that they dont allow us about their products. We also do not want to have any issues/prbs whichs not needed, between us and them. We could tell you this probably when you get a permission from them for us to do that. So actually me or Yoshino are not the one who you ask for that. CAPCOM it'self is the one.
Please underrstand.

Akari.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:41 PM
VGMdb Advisor

That's about the same response I got when asking Saori Maeda for a composer breakdown to Biohazard 3, but ended up getting one from Masami Ueda, hehe. Maybe you can get one from Yoshino.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:48 AM

yup, same response i got from yousuke yasui regarding mega man network transmission (funnily, i got wagyan paradise credits from eriko imura without any hesitation, so it really depends on the company/individual...)

it probably isn't an issue for either capcom or the composers in reality, NDAs are just there as a matter of procedure to cover the company's ass, but Kaida is right to be cautious about revealing any undisclosed info. i am glad she gave a fair explanation at least! i'm not quite sure exactly who at capcom one would have to e-mail, and even then who knows if they'd even be receptive to randomers on the internet. seems like something the composers themselves should ask about if they're interested enough, being former employees they would hold more sway.

i guess we could try contacting capcom. if they don't reply, ask once more if she would be interested in getting permission from capcom herself (i would assume she doesn't want to go out of her way for something like this, but who knows... maybe she would love to release this info) or yeah, ask Aoki... i expect you'd get the same answer from her though.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:11 AM

Yeah, I talk with Tetsuya Shibata fairly often. I can see what Yoshino would have to say, but given they are pretty close, I'd imagine she would also say the same thing. As for Capcom, I'm not sure who to contact either. Maybe Seth Killian from Capcom?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:46 PM

Then again, when I asked about specific tracks (from BoF3 and Suikoden Tierkreis) Aoki confirmed. Perhaps the strategy should be to ask one-by-one.
Old May 18, 2014, 06:28 PM

"Healing" and "Chase" confirmed to be Kaida via liner notes from Breath of Fire Special Box (thanks Game Music Online!)

Two more correct guesses, yay!
Old May 19, 2014, 04:52 AM

Good good one day this will be cracked, or at least enough of it will be cracked that the rest is fairly easy to decipher (I struggle in separating the two composers as I'm just not familiar with each of them in isolation.)

One thing though, for some reason I have #322 retagged as Kaida already. Was that falsely confirmed before or something? It isn't confirmed in your list. Could just be a mistake on my part, but I'm sure I wouldn't have done it for no reason...
Old May 19, 2014, 06:36 PM

No, "Stairs ~Ending~" wasn't ever confirmed. It does use the main theme, which is confirmed as Kaida.

(It's totally Kaida, though)
Old May 31, 2014, 01:44 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Some more for you, Jorm: http://www.vgmonline.net/akarikaidainterview/

Kaida: Country Living, To a Distant Place, Do Your Best!, Chickens in the Night

Also: "the cutscene music for each area was basically written by the composer who wrote the background music for that area. Of course, there were exceptions."
Old May 31, 2014, 02:16 PM

Awesome! Thanks CHz. That last bit should help clarify other pieces, but it's been so long since I played the game. Will have to replay sometime soon.
Old May 31, 2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz
To a Distant Place
Hooooooly shit and there it is. Fave BoF3 song and honestly one of my favourite tunes in the history of everything. It makes sense that it's Kaida's, but what threw me off is that Aoki sometimes writes very similar sounding music with the same kinds of chords. Namely, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLzPUXH3QGM

So tantalizing getting scraps from the table each time though! I thought she said she couldn't answer because of an NDA? *frown frown*