VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 16, 2009, 04:19 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I made the romaji title the default for this album because I'm pretty sure that no one ever actually calls this game "Great Magic Strategy."
Old May 15, 2009, 09:11 AM

They don't. The bootup screen for GMD writes "GREAT MAHOU DAISAKUSEN", so it's definitely official, at least for Capcom.
Old May 15, 2009, 12:00 PM

GMD is the third in the series, this the first game. But yeah, took me a while to find this release on here before because of the odd translation (differs from the official western title).
Old May 15, 2009, 05:16 PM

A point, but I see little reason to change an official romanization by one character just like that. But again, this is Capcom.
Old May 19, 2009, 09:38 AM

Did you misunderstand me perhaps? And maybe it doesn't matter, but... This release is for the first game, called Mahou Daisakusen (Raizing/Able), Sorcer Striker is its official western title. I don't know where the hell "Great Magic Strategy" comes from, and old OST rip that's been in circulation? Part two is Shippu Mahou Daisakusen (Raizing/Eighting), Kingdom Grandprix in the west. Part three (and this is where Capcom comes in as a distributor for the first time) is Great Mahou Daisakusen (Raizing/Eighting/Capcom), Dimahoo in the west (a pretty clever pun?).

So as far as I know, the official Japanese romanizations have always been consistent, while localizations (and the unofficial (?) "Great Magic Strategy" translation) add confusion. None of them were hits outside of Japan, so that's probably why they didn't bother to keep the titles coherent througout the series.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 05:41 AM

No, I understand fine. This is all just a breakdown in communication, maybe.

CHz had stated that he made the romaji title the default, and I simply confirmed it. Before I had made my first post in this thread, the album title was missing a "u" at the end of Mahou, as Dimahoo states... I should have noted that I had changed it and directed my explanation towards that.

Actually, there is a "semi-official" translation, but it's probably barely semi-official; "magic armagedon" can be found on the "Stage <number>" signs before every level in Mahou Daisakusen.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:25 AM

Can I get a consensus check on whether or not it would be okay to put "Magic Armagedon" up as an alternate title? As far as I'm concerned, the phrase is official enough, and could be used as a synonym for "war" (popular interpretation of certain wars, especially the World Wars, suggests this).

I do believe there is a better Japanese wording for "armageddon": 黙示録, which technically refers to *the Apocalypse*, though it has been used in situations where a word for a battle of closure would be appropriate.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:33 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Magic Armageddon may be an official translation of the Japanese phrase "魔法大作戦", but it's not an official translation of the game's title. They chose to call the game Sorcer Striker here. The distinction we make here is that it's the title of the game that qualify it for inclusion in the title field, and not its meaning.

So the official translations are:

Game: 魔法大作戦 ---> Sorcer Striker
Phrase: 魔法大作戦 ---> Magic Armageddon

Literal translations of the title can be put in the notes.

We don't make this distinction for other parts of the title, such as "Official Music Collection" or subtitles in drama albums. It's just the game titles.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 01:46 PM

I wasn't asking to put it as the title, I was asking to put it as an alternative title.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 02:22 PM
VGMdb Administrator

My rationale applies to the whole title block.