VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 7, 2012, 01:54 AM

Post Need Help: 100 Greatest Video Game Music for Orchestra

I have been listening to ''100 best film classics'' and 100 best opera, beethoven, concertos. and so on.

I also noticed in a Classical Music forum they had top 200, 100 and 50 lists.

I would like to put together a ''100 Greatest Video Game Music for Orchestra''. So that means any VGM for orchestra from soundtracks or albums.

I will no doubt miss a lot out if it was up to me. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The order of he tracks doesn't matter it's just 100 greatest.

I hope people can use this list as a quick way to hear the greatest vgm if they are new to it or like classical music and film music.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 02:47 AM

I developped an allergy to top# list, however I have a little question
that list is only never-orchestrated (edit: or arranged) vgm or it can count already orchestrated tunes?

Last edited by Phonograph; Jan 7, 2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 03:40 AM

Also, only tracks performed by real orchestra qualify? Or totally synthesized ones are allowed? I have no time to make an ordered list, but "Rebirth" From Sand Storm from Ace Combat Assault Horizon was the last year's exceptional tracks, I hope they appear on your list.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 04:17 PM

I was going to ask the same thing, Cedille.

The list would be much more accurate if we could include all VGM "intended" for an orchestra, whether it's synthesized or not. I don't think I could come close to naming 100 truly great orchestral VGM tracks that are performed by a real orchestra.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 06:28 PM

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard, but it'd be heavily unbalanced for obvious reasons.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 07:20 PM

I'd really have to scrape the bottom of the barrel. The effort that goes into some VGM orchestral recordings is abysmal.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltlick View Post
I also noticed in a Classical Music forum they had top 200, 100 and 50 lists.
Talkclassical, isn't it? It seems the internet is a very small place.

Well, your intention of creating a ''100 Greatest Video Game Music for Orchestra" is praiseworthy, but a bit difficult to achieve. If you want to get an acceptable number of participants in this task, maybe you should reduce your list at 50 entries.

Anyway, the first of all is to define what you consider "vgm for orchestra", that is to say, just pieces performed by real orchestras and nothing more or pieces of orchestral nature but performed by other means (synths, hybrid instrumentation, no traditional orchestra set-up, et cetera).

The diversity in the realm of video game music is astonishing (orchestrated or not), so you're going to have to give us more input if you want any output.

By the way, this thread can be useful for recommendations at the task at hand. Just take a look at it.

Last edited by isdapi; Jan 9, 2012 at 05:03 AM.