VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 20, 2009, 06:34 AM

Default Search function strips out words that are important

Today, while attempting to write a review for Echoes of Betrayal, Light of Redemption, I performed a search for the Final Fantasy IV Original Soundtrack. However, I couldn't even find the soundtrack because when I typed the search terms into the search box and pressed [ENTER], a message stated that the term "iv" was ignored.

As a result, I received results with a number of other soundtracks, from games like FF7 and FF8, but was unable to locate the game number I was looking for.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 06:49 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Put double quotes around the title, i.e. "final fantasy iv". That makes it a phrase search and you'll get your desired result.

We strip out words below three characters because search does partial matching, and those would return too many results. I suppose I'll put up a search tip whenever a search term is discarded.

(Does your browser have an in-page search function?)
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:48 AM

Great, that works. Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:57 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

What do you think of having the screen display an option to repeat the search with quotes added? You know, to skip having to add the quotes yourself afterward.