VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 16, 2020, 11:49 PM
VGMdb Staff

Lots of compilations/albums have mixed stuff game/animation or animation/live action and they mantain a single color which depends from leading category with this grade: game > animation > etc..
Is there a plan to convert them to mixed colors just to recognize them without using the advanced search form by categories?

@SS, pink is good to me about live action stuff
Old May 17, 2020, 05:15 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Based on feedback, there are now 3 new categories: Live Action, Tokusatsu/Puppetry, and Multimedia Franchise.

This should be easier to understand, and have been given unique colors. I will add similar new categories to products soon.
Old May 17, 2020, 05:36 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
Lots of compilations/albums have mixed stuff game/animation or animation/live action and they mantain a single color which depends from leading category with this grade: game > animation > etc..
Is there a plan to convert them to mixed colors just to recognize them without using the advanced search form by categories?
I am not sure there is a good way to do that. If each line were a rainbow, I don't think it would be readable.
Old May 19, 2020, 08:00 PM

Thank you for being so meticulous about this, true to the site's purpose. I've always been unsure whether or not certain kinds of albums were "actually allowed".

Oooon the other hand, "only experienced users should submit these" seems way too vague to be meaningful. Every instance of it could be completely stricken out and change nothing about the regulations. "Do not submit large numbers of these" is a similar case. A collective cataloguing effort needs rules, not guidelines.
Old May 20, 2020, 04:20 PM

i have to admit. the color for tokusatsu hurts my eyes, badly, just looking at it. :/
I feel like i grey copulated with pink and gave that color.
Old May 25, 2020, 12:44 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanticScent View Post
i have to admit. the color for tokusatsu hurts my eyes, badly, just looking at it. :/
I feel like i grey copulated with pink and gave that color.
I feel now little bit guilty that I have these "outrageous" pink albums in my collection
Great funny color fit like a glove tokusatsu genre. Keep it!
Old Jun 20, 2020, 07:21 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Small change:

Added this to the Category 3 submission rules. I find that it helps a lot.

Quote:
If you submit an album in this category, please post in the album's discussion thread the name of one artist whose discography it fills and a VGMDB link of the album on which they have a Composer or Arranger credit for BGM in a game or animation. (You can post a name and a url with info if there are no albums in the database.)
Old Jul 15, 2020, 02:15 PM

Just confirming, but why would we forbid Western mainstream and film/TV music but not global mainstream and film/TV music, whether Japanese or otherwise? Just seems weird to single out music region in the world? If a game composer was featured on a Western film or mainstream album, wouldn't we want to catalog that under the filling out a discography allowance?
Old Jul 15, 2020, 02:31 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcubalis View Post
Just confirming, but why would we forbid Western mainstream and film/TV music but not global mainstream and film/TV music, whether Japanese or otherwise? Just seems weird to single out music region in the world? If a game composer was featured on a Western film or mainstream album, wouldn't we want to catalog that under the filling out a discography allowance?
I think that case would be covered by this:

Quote:
(under Category 4 rules) On rare occasion, staff may submit certain Category 2 and Category 3 eligible albums here.
Though this is reserved for special cases. Michael Jackson is a game music composer (in the sense that he has at least one credit for composing BGM in a game), but we ave no plans to include his full discography here. The category 4 restriction is what prevents someone from submitting those albums.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 09:25 PM

Fair enough. But doesn’t explain why Western mainstream and TV/film are not allowed as it implies Japanese or “Eastern” mainstream music and film/TV are.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 04:29 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Added clarification for Category 3 about referenced or covers of a composer/arranger's work -- they don't trigger eligibility.