VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
I think the best response to this would be to have a list of games the artist worked on and also write their sound-related roles (composer, arranger, performer, SE) next to each, like a resume (which was what Wikipedia ultimately had). Not only does this cover games without OSTs, but it can also fill the gap in the bottom-left corner of the artists pages perfectly.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:31 AM
VGMdb Administrator

You mean on VGMdb? I think we are going to be moving towards this goal in time.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
You mean on VGMdb? I think we are going to be moving towards this goal in time.
Well when you get to it, you have both my vote and my support in its creation. Just don't give me responsibility over anyone too obscure, OK?

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 28, 2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:43 AM

Photograph debunked:

http://www.maedakosen.jp/recruit/ngr...er_kimura.html
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:25 PM

i said that a while ago but no-one listened
Old Aug 5, 2010, 06:15 AM

I wish he'd quit HAL so he wouldn't have to do Kirby games anymore. When's the last time he composed something... (I know I'm gonna get flak for this) ...serious?
Old Aug 7, 2010, 08:42 AM

anyone with the means might wanna give OCR the headsup to remove the photo they're hosting as well. i think (hope) it isn't hosted anywhere else, and i just deleted one that was still on Last FM...

Quote:
I wish he'd quit HAL so he wouldn't have to do Kirby games anymore. When's the last time he composed something... (I know I'm gonna get flak for this) ...serious?
10 years ago pretty much, with Kirby 64, depending on what you mean by serious :B I love his Kirby material, but even considering that, the last Kirby game he's worked on directly (with certainty) was Canvas Curse, 5 years ago, and that was largely covers of older songs. KSSU only had a handful of new songs (nonetheless, very nice), and other titles he's worked on recently like Picross 3D aren't nearly as grandiose. for some unaccountable reason he has had very minor/no(?) role in the big HAL titles like SSBM, SSBB, Air Ride... while I have my fingers crossed that he'll be involved with Epic Yarn, I also have my reservations. but if it's Ando or Sakai I'll still be happy. hard to go wrong with HAL sound staff.

it would be nice to see him tackle a major project again. i can't imagine him freelancing.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 06:52 AM

Epic Yarn is by Good Feel (the developer that did Wario Land Shake Dimension), so I expect their composer Tomoya Tomita to do it.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 07:23 PM

Ok, Kirby's Epic Yarn got an Iwata Asks interview, and two of the interviewees are Jun Ishikawa and Hirokazu Ando, including photos. Currently Japanese only but I'm sure a translation will appear later like with most Iwata Asks interviews.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 03:14 AM

outstanding. it's good to finally put all that confusion over Ishikawa to bed. can't wait for a translation.

tomita is pictured as well so you are probably right.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:03 AM

translation has been posted:

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/kirbyse...vol1_page1.jsp

looks like Ando and Ishikawa wrote music afterall.

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; Oct 22, 2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 01:57 PM

You can faintly hear some music from the new Kirby Wii game in this video here:

Area 1
Area 2
Area 3
Sword power-up... + sudden talking!
Area 4
Boss 1
Boss 2

Definitely hearing some Ishikawa there. Some more here. Too lazy to break this one up.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 02:32 AM

yeah that's some ishikawa for sure, think i hear some ando too though! hope it's just those two working on it. with sakai working on mass attack that seems likely.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:35 PM

The music for Return to Dreamland is soooo good.

Edit: Lol, credits already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...b6sU7Mg#t=771s

Last edited by strugglepoo; Oct 24, 2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:43 AM

surprise surprise

that's exactly what i wanted to read. two of my favouritest musicians ev0r, working side by side on a brand new soundtrack again. can't wait to play this game myself. and it's nice that Sakai got the opportunity to go solo with mass attack. i love HAL so much. *gush*
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:27 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I somehow managed to hold off listening to Return to Dream Land's music until I played the game, which was probably the stupidest thing I've ever done in my life because the soundtrack is fantastic holy crapppppppppppp. As good as Sakai and Ikegami are, I'm so glad to have Ishikawa and Ando back in the saddle, taking stylistic cues from pretty much every other Kirby soundtrack. Even a little Smash in there too (finally fought that boss Lunar, so good).

I need to gush somewhere because I finished world five last night and the new themes for that area are all orgasmic. Best map theme, probably my favorite original stage theme so far, an Epic Yarn-influenced Grape Gardens arrangement that just socks you in the face when you start that level, a brutal boss theme, and a super ability arrangement that's something else (dem distorted synths). Man I just want to replay this entire world.

I can't wait to get really angry a month or two from now when it sinks in that there will never be a soundtrack release for this.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:16 AM

Quote:
probably my favorite original stage theme so far
yes ugh, those are some of the highlights for me too. i love the ishikawa-ised version of the castle music but i can't find it on youtube right now. it's called "basil bridge" in the rip i have.

Quote:
a brutal boss theme
KIRBY IS KIDDY SHIT right?

Quote:
I can't wait to get really angry a month or two from now when it sinks in that there will never be a soundtrack release for this.
:<
that is a shame, because this is up there with my favourite soundtracks... ever probably. there was a rip posted up at ffshrine which is missing a few songs and some of the titles are a bit weird, but it'll have to do for now. the quality is fine though.
the main benefit of a soundtrack for me would be official track credits, but fortunately it seems hugely obvious to me who wrote what. i'm almost certain all of what you linked are ando's work except the map theme, for instance.

i would link some favourites of mine, but there's just too many... plus it's too much effort when the youtube song titles don't correspond with my rip.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:31 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I was a bit flippant in that last post – we got the Super Star remake, after all! – but I try not to get too optimistic about Nintendo soundtrack releases. I'm satisfied by rips and sound tests, since 99% of the time I'm not listening to a CD in a player anyway, but I like being able to throw money at things I love.

Quote:
the main benefit of a soundtrack for me would be official track credits, but fortunately it seems hugely obvious to me who wrote what. i'm almost certain all of what you linked are ando's work except the map theme, for instance.
As much as I love 'em, I don't really feel qualified to differentiate between Ishikawa and Ando. But based on what I think I know, I don't disagree with your picks. Ishikawa for the map theme (has that wistfulness of KDL3) and Ando for the castle theme (pure KA) and boss theme (Smash) I'm preeeeeeetty sure about, and the other two are toss-ups for me. Whoever arranged Grape Gardens for sure also arranged Butter Building for Epic Yarn, and both of those originals are from Adventure so Ando's attractive.

Quote:
i would link some favourites of mine, but there's just too many... plus it's too much effort when the youtube song titles don't correspond with my rip.
And another benefit of soundtrack releases: canonical track titles!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Whoever arranged Grape Gardens for sure also arranged Butter Building for Epic Yarn, and both of those originals are from Adventure so Ando's attractive.
yeah i suppose that they're originally Ando's songs helps matters. in the Iwata Asks interview, Ando talked about "using his hands" or something along those lines, by playing as many instruments as he could when composing. In the Butter Building arrangement that melodica that you can see him playing on the video was used. he also mentions being accomplished on the electone in that smash bros staff interview from years ago, so i think most songs where you can clearly hear live piano across kirby games is his work.

I think what also helps though is that Ishikawa's music often sounds (to me) quite clinical and it's often entirely electronic/sample based and mouse-sequenced. Even with Ando's sequenced soundtracks like SSB you can tell some of it was played in live. I'd put money on all the "classic" sounding songs with retro samples being Ishikawa's work, while the majority of the fully produced ones with synths (and certainly the orchestrated ones) are Ando's -- but not all of them. We can always cross-reference to other soundtracks and songs that we know they're individually responsible for. There's a bunch of other little musical things I notice as well, just consistent things that the composers each do on their respective scores. probably too annoying to try and sum up here, and maybe other people notice different things to me.

having an absolute tracklist to do this with would definitely make life easier
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
KIRBY IS KIDDY SHIT right?
RIGHT!

Somewhat unrelated, but just had to link it as a Kirby fan.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:49 AM

... ... ... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. .. . . . .

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:29 AM.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 02:31 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm not sure there's a confirmed instance, but Canvas Curse has a number of arrangements of Adventure and Dream Land 2 and I'm inclined to believe that soundtrack was mostly Ishikawa's work.

Ando definitely does cover Ishikawa more than vice versa.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist500 View Post
Has Ishikawa ever arranged an Ando piece before? I've noticed that Ando often arranges Ishikawa's classic pieces but has it ever been the other way around?
Return to Dreamland has at least a few, I think. Lunar mentioned "Basil Bridge" above, that's the most obvious one.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 03:51 PM

Yeah the most Ando covers Ishikawa's ever done is Canvas Curse, although he is fond of bringing up Egg Catcher and the Boss Battle theme from Adventure.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 02:02 PM

has anyone given the robobot ost a listen? good stuff from ishikawa, albeit very, very strange. but i like strange so it's all good w/ me.
Old May 1, 2016, 11:45 AM

posted this on the hirokazu ando board but it's relevant here, too, because the split between ando and ishikawa songs on robobot is about on part w/ return to dreamland

GilvaSunner (THE REAL ONE) is uploading robobot tracks w/ composer credits so i can only assume the sound test is similar to triple deluxe's.

JUST BE AWARE THERE ARE SPOILERS IN THE TITLES OF SOME OF THEM so if you don't want to be spoiled, don't click. here ya go.
Old May 1, 2016, 05:42 PM
Trusted Editor

More color coded sound tests? If only other games had this...
Old May 2, 2016, 01:47 AM

Yes, this is the best news. Thank you for the link, I will keep an eye on it. Hope he provides a download link for our convenience when he is finished!

I got the impression from listening that Ando once again handled the lion's share of the score, but there was also plenty of original and reprised songs by Ishikawa. Honestly, I'm just relieved that none of us have to guess at it :P
Old Aug 12, 2016, 02:31 PM

so how about that kirby cafe cd eh?

way, way, way more ishikawa than i first thought.