VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:43 AM

When it refers to 'Sound Selection' is it safe to assume that this will not be a complete soundtrack?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:25 PM

I almost want to search selections and see if I can find a complete soundtrack now

It probably won't be complete.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:43 PM
Trusted Editor

Interesting! 2 disks looks solid, even if not complete. That is, unless it's like 12 tracks per CD...

Last edited by dissident93; Aug 29, 2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 06:36 AM

It took me by surprise in the last japan Nintendo Direct. This year only 3 albums released by Nintendo. [Sadly no Hyrule Warriors CD]

Last edited by eduhunter; Aug 30, 2014 at 06:39 AM. Reason: correction
Old Aug 30, 2014, 03:19 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduhunter View Post
It took me by surprise in the last japan Nintendo Direct. This year only 3 albums released by Nintendo. [Sadly no Hyrule Warriors CD]
Based on how Nintendo licenses stuff, Koei Tecmo could still release one later this year.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 06:46 AM

Yeah, there's no way this is a complete soundtrack on just 2 CDs. If they had done a full soundtrack for Brawl, it would've been 5 discs or so--and SSB4 is going to have even more tracks than Brawl!

Still, very cool they're releasing something, though (and for free if you register both games).
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:41 AM

Free if you were going to register both games anyway. Quite expensive if you just want the soundtrack :<
Old Sep 10, 2014, 01:48 PM

Well, you could register for the games and sell them back for a small loss. (Would Japanese used buyers be upset over the loss of a register code?) The soundtrack would then be worth the small money you lost. The soundtrack isn't bundled with the game, so you're not devaluing a collector's edition on resale. It certainly has more requirements and a larger down payment to acquire this soundtrack though.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 08:17 PM

*shrug* I guess it isn't much different price-wise from some other enclosure-type soundtracks that come in limited editions that started at like 7980yen or some ridiculous price. A nice deal if you wanted the game and all the other bonuses, an arm and a leg if you just wanted the music CD.

Personally I don't care if I never play Smash Bros ever again, I think it died at Melee, but the soundtracks are always top notch.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 04:31 PM

Partial Tracklisting:

Sample tracks from the "Red" CD

Menu
Super Mario 3D Land Theme /Beach Theme
Gerudo Valley
Green Greens Ver. 2
Star Wolf's Theme / Sector Z
Battle! (Trainer Battle) (Pokémon X / Pokémon Y)
Tortimer Island Medley
Jogging / Countdown
Tomodachi Life
Multi-Man Smash
… and more!

Sample tracks from the "Blue" CD

Battlefield
Egg Planet
Gear Getaway
Ballad of the Goddess / Ghirahim's Theme
Title (Metroid)
The Great Cave Offensive
Fight 1 (Fire Emblem Gaiden)
Stage Select (Pikmin 2)
Xenoblade Chronicles Medley
Results Display Screen
… and more!

Old Oct 17, 2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbip15 View Post
Xenoblade Chronicles Medley
*heavy breathing*
Old Oct 23, 2014, 02:38 PM

full tracklist of the announced on the Nintendo direct will take screenshots of it

437 songs in the Wii U version?

Please excuse the High Quality of the Screenshots

Last edited by alexbip15; Oct 23, 2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 05:37 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Are those screenshots really the complete tracklists? They have 30 tracks for each disc but both say there's a total of 36.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:08 PM
Trusted Editor

The official site also gives the names of the artists who contributed new stuff for the Wii U version, if anybody was wondering.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:11 PM

those are what was in the direct nothing more nothing less

Edit: Difference between this and http://vgmdb.net/album/48589 ?

Last edited by alexbip15; Oct 23, 2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:19 PM
Trusted Editor

looks like a duplicate.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 04:58 PM

50 Facts video also indicated it will have 36 tracks per CD .. but that could change before its release.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:20 AM

I just hope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZYCBpxdRa0 is on the soundtrack :|
Old Nov 29, 2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1 View Post
Well, you could register for the games and sell them back for a small loss. (Would Japanese used buyers be upset over the loss of a register code?) The soundtrack would then be worth the small money you lost. The soundtrack isn't bundled with the game, so you're not devaluing a collector's edition on resale. It certainly has more requirements and a larger down payment to acquire this soundtrack though.
Club Nintendo code being present or not doesn't seem to affect the trade-in value of Japanese games in Japan.

I was planning to buy the Japanese Wii U game only (still not out - not until next Saturday), but I think I'll buy the 3DS version, get the code, and trade it in to get most of my money back. The CD's going to be worth more to me than the "loss" I'd take during the trade in.

Super excited from these track lists. I don't watch Nintendo Directs most of the time so I had missed what was even on these. Thanks to those who posted the info.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 04:40 AM

Codes redeemed and counting the days- yes yes. What was the most recent soundtrack made available through Club Nintendo America prior to this? Any way we can influence Nintendo to release more OSTs?

Retro Gamer's Top 100 Games of All Time voting now open!
http://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/...e-voting-open/

Last edited by waxattax; Dec 29, 2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxattax View Post
Codes redeemed and counting the days- yes yes. What was the most recent soundtrack made available through Club Nintendo America prior to this? Any way we can influence Nintendo to release more OSTs?
From Club Nintendo for the Americas I'm pretty sure it was the Majora's Mask Original Soundtrack last year, as one of the platinum status gifts to choose from. I'm not really sure what else could be done to encourage them, as I doubt most anything would work at all. I can just think of explicitly mentioning how you enjoy the music in the Club Nintendo surveys, and purchasing soundtracks for other Nintendo games when possible to show that you'd be interested in buying them.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 03:51 AM

Good advice. Something I'll be doing from here on out.

Also, I was thinking:
Until Operation Rainfall, Nintendo had absolutely no plans whatsoever to bring already localized versions of Xenoblade, The Last Story or Pandora's Tower over to America. Not only did the good folks at Oprainfall change the way we petition companies, they made Nintendo - notorious for residing within a bubble - sit up and take notice. Now, not only did we get all three in America (Oprainfall created a place holder pre order on Amazon.com to show Nintendo the demand for these games in a language all businesses understand: dollar$) Xenoblade's Shulk is in the new Smash Bros and has his own Amiibo on the way to boot. (For the purpose of this post please allow me to forego the arguments that Shulk in Smash 4 is akin to Marth in Melee- more relevant in Japan, his country of origin. He was added late to the roster and I personally believe this is an appeal to the core fans and a precursor to Xenoblade's rerelease on New 3DS; and that Amiibos exist largely as cash grabs.)

Speaking of cash Nintendo isn't currently enjoying anything remotely close to the financial success of the DS/Wii era. While they did save enough money during that period to report losses for years to come and still remain afloat, it seems to me that because of this and in light of recent "adaptations" made as a company this is the most open to suggestion they have ever been.

Adjustments may need to be made as there are differences: Most first-party OSTs are only available through Club Nintendo instead of being directly sold; Also, barring the potential for reprints none of these soundtracks officially already exist. Still, can anyone think of an Operation Rainfall-type approach to show Nintendo there is a big enough demand for their back (and forthcoming) catalog of music that regularly releasing it would be beneficial to everyone involved?

Retro Gamer's Top 100 Games of All Time voting now open!
http://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/...e-voting-open/

Last edited by waxattax; Jan 19, 2015 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Bubble Pop Deluxe: Didn't even mention what Oprainfall did or how. Closing was too presumptuous though the gratitude remains.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 04:40 PM

In all honesty, I'm not too sure something like that would even persuade Nintendo to release more OSTs, since they're especially not a big seller in terms of attempting to make a profit off of. Below is a quote giving a little explanation as to Nintendo's lack of proper OST releases (I took it from the DKCR OST thread, where it was posted by Blitz Lunar).

Cool to see the track listings were completed and added, though personally it seems really disappointing overall. Barely any original compositions/arrangements, and some of the songs that are on the soundtrack are just straight out of other games that already have OST releases (Xenoblade Chronicles, for example). I would've really liked to see tracks like "Final Destination", and maybe even the "Ticket Selection" themes as well, but instead they choose "How to Play" and "Trophy Rush". I suppose getting any sort of release is lucky considering Nintendo, so I shouldn't even say anything. I do really hope for a composer/arranger breakdown, though to an extent that can kinda be extrapolated from previous credits and the game itself.

On the topic of proper credits, I'd imagine for arrangers the person who'll be credited there would be who Nintendo called the "arrangement supervisor", though that doesn't exactly sound like they arranged it, just that they, well, supervised, which is kinda odd. And for composers, obviously the person who composed the initial piece(s) would be credited. I'm kinda curious, was it ever stated anywhere who composed the main theme? I think Torine did a lot of the arrangements, but I forget where I got that idea from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxattax View Post
Originally Posted by Mitsuaki Hagishima (Nintendo Dream)
- Why doesn't Nintendo release CDs?

We have never published a single CD.

Instead, record companies have suggested a CD release plan, and we have let them publish it under license. However, game soundtrack CDs didn't sell well, and you'd often hear news about poor sales of general CDs lately. It's just a few thousand, at best. It requires a lot of labor to make a CD, and even if we do, we think we still should utilize our musical assets for such promotion that you can enjoy games more. we'll try to help more people enjoy the sound of Nintendo, through enclosures like this issue of Nintendo Dream and the guide book of Chibi-Robo!, the rewards of Club Nintendo, or the launch of Nintendo Mobile. Game is what matters most to us, and we'll use game music as promotion.

Last edited by IJustDontKnowAnymore; Jan 26, 2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 05:05 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustDontKnowAnymore View Post
On the topic of proper credits, I'd imagine for arrangers the person who'll be credited there would be who Nintendo called the "Arrangement Supervisor", though that doesn't exactly sound like they arranged it, just that they, well, supervised, which is kinda odd.
For Brawl and Smash 4, sometimes they say "arrangement" and sometimes they say "arrangement supervisor." I don't really know what the reasoning is in differentiating those, but I think it's reasonably safe to assume it all means arrangement.

In Japanese they use 編曲者 ("arranger") for the former and 編曲担当 ("in charge of arrangement") for the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustDontKnowAnymore View Post
I'm kinda curious, was it ever stated anywhere who composed the main theme?
Keiki Kobayashi. "Battlefield" is credited with him as the "composition supervisor," not arrangement like every other system song.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
For Brawl and Smash 4, sometimes they say "arrangement" and sometimes they say "arrangement supervisor." I don't really know what the reasoning is in differentiating those, but I think it's reasonably safe to assume it all means arrangement.

In Japanese they use 編曲者 ("arranger") for the former and 編曲担当 ("in charge of arrangement") for the latter.
You're probably right, I was just curious if there was anything specific I had missed.
Quote:
Keiki Kobayashi. "Battlefield" is credited with him as the "composition supervisor," not arrangement like every other system song.
Ah, I see, thanks for that. I had been wondering for a while who had composed it.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 02:30 PM

Title changed and yes they stay as caps because "Wii" retains the lowercase.

Old Mar 1, 2015, 04:29 PM

Does anyone (who has already received it) want to scan the booklet for this album?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:19 PM

Shouldn't it be an alternate printing instead on a reprint?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 04:03 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Seriously, i appreciate the effort for scans breath20kfire.
But theses photos are too blurry it's..useless.

You are wasting both our time because i am not accepting this kind of pictures.
I am definitely going to strenghten the rules about scans.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 08:28 PM

I think I've had my fair share of scoldings, so hopefully i'll have them scanned to your liking Mrykul.