VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 9, 2010, 02:55 AM

kyubihanyou, how did you decide to use the quotation marks in the title of an album such as this? I see the quotation marks in only a couple choice places. The rest keep the exact same capitalization and just don't include the quotes (EDIT: even the Japanese title does not include Japanese quotation marks). As someone expressed a dislike for this in another thread (and I personally agree with it), shouldn't we just favor the way of writing it without the quotes in these cases, so it just alignes with the other Final Fantasy titles? Or is it that we should specifically honor front / side / obi title every time?

I know that if the quotes are present every time then obviously will use them, even though I still think it's kind of silly it's written that way, but it would still be the official title, and I do think we should write the official title. But this soundtrack has many occurances of the title without the quotes.

Last edited by Medina; Jun 9, 2010 at 03:00 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 03:19 AM
VGMdb Administrator

This is partially my fault, since I'd asked him to fix the capitalization on the FF albums. I think that titles have proven to be problematic at times, subject to opinion. We argued for months in the submission guidelines thread for titles, and the end result was that certain aspects of the title formatting were still going to be considered on an album by album basis.

Here's a quote that's relevant, and might support removing the quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
What if we use this guideline: Use the title verbatim if it's printed in clearly discernable Latin font (anywhere on the package, priority going to the cover and the obi); if it's a stylized font or logo graphic, use what's closest to an "official" transcription. Even if the album version of the product title differs from the official transcription, we'll still have the product field to compensate for it.

My earlier stance might have given a bit too much emphasis to the product trademark -- after some consideration, I'm now of the view that the album title field is for the album rather than the associated product, so if the album publisher chooses to print the title differently, we'll just go along with it (within the bounds of common sense).

(Just to clarify; the above pertains to albums that don't already have official transcriptions provided by the album publisher)
Old Jun 9, 2010, 06:01 AM

Indeed I am the devil's advocate :}

I actually thought this was a good idea and here's why:

1. The quotes appeared throughout the VII-XI (except X and X-2 for some reason) range; nothing of the sort was really present prior or following this. The use of quotes was clearly a trend of the new SSCX and reprint SQEX albums at the time of release, and if you look closely there are some quote/nonquote differences within a single game (IX comes to mind), which makes capitalizing these and adding quotation marks all the more distinguishing and therefore necessary.

2. The use of quotes more often than not put the real OSTs (the ones people really look for) on top of the list. For this game series, it would normally take a lot of time searching through the 306 here for a particular OST or arrange album (assuming they don't use Ctrl+F at all or specify the game). Search by game, and the OST is still on top, waiting to be looked at. Now that they're on top, they won't have to look nearly as much. The quotation marks are like a distinguishing insignia that not only shows what the originals are, but puts them on top to reflect their superiority.

3. Chronological differences are now clearly present in the albums of older games (namely from IV-VI), as they previously either had the title in proper case (at least III and IV) or were in complete capitals and were therefore void to this (IV-VI)

4. I, II, IV, V, VI, IX, X, and XI will always be a pain to search for. This at least addresses IX and XI to some degree.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jun 9, 2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 01:03 PM

Okay, thanks for explaining it. I wasn't really trying to say "Hey, you're wrong for doing this," just wondering why you did it on certain albums.

I will throw in an argument or two here though. I still dislike the idea of adding quotes to soundtracks with titles that have more instances with non-quotes, especially when one of those instances is the Japanese title. I'd day that if the Japanese title added the quotes, like so:

「ファイナルファンタジータクティクス」 オリジナルサウンドトラック

then their intentions were clear. But even the Japanese title reads without the quotes. Even the discs read without the quotes. And of course the logo does too.

I think there needs to be some point where we can say "Okay, they were just stylizing or something." Did they really intend for this to be THE title, or were they just emphasizing "FINAL FANTASY TACTICS" as the title? It's sort of like adding every single descriptor to track titles: did they intend for that to be part of the song's title? I don't think the quotes are used consistently enough in this case. And then again, there is the case of it screwing up some of the order of collections (not everyone wants a billion folders in order to keep everything arranged). But if everyone still wants to add quotes to situations like these, I'll try to add them when I come across an entry without them.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 01:04 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The quotes seem intentional as SQ made a bunch of albums with them, but at the same time the English title in the spines never(?) use quotes. Since it changes the expected search ordering for such high profile albums, for now if nobody objects I'll delete the quotes in the display title but add as an alternate. This way everybody is happy! (?)

Btw, you can search with quotes ("fantasy ii") to find full strings.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 03:24 PM

Does anyone have any info about the special edition of this?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 07:51 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

"Espionage" is an arrangement of Sakimoto's "Shinmachi (Night)" from Hourai Gakuen no Bouken. It's much different sounding, but the melody is there. Though, I remember listening to the PSF rip, which had an alternate version of Espionage that sounded more closely like Shinmachi (Night).

The original version is much cooler though. ;}

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Mar 10, 2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:19 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
"Espionage" is an arrangement of Sakimoto's "Shinmachi (Night)" from Hourai Gakuen no Bouken. It's much different sounding, but the melody is there. Though, I remember listening to the PSF rip, which had an alternate version of Espionage that sounded more closely like Shinmachi (Night).

The original version is much cooler though. ;}
Agreed, that's a great tune from an amazing soundtrack. Hourai High School is pretty easily my favorite work by Sakimoto.

You'd think I'd have noticed that Espionage connection by now. :[
Old Mar 10, 2011, 09:05 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
This way everybody is happy! (?)
To make things worse, the disc titles actually spells soundtrack without a space. Probably means we need to add an alternative for that, too?

Hahah...
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:30 AM

Ah yes, Sakimoto did this a lot back in the day. I remember listening to Shinmachi (Night) and thinking, "Clever bastard..."

In addition, Airplane from Hourai Gakuen previously appeared on his score to Back to the Future 2.

And of course, there's the unreleased choral track from Radiant Silvergun being used in Attic of the Great Cathedral in Vagrant Story.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
To make things worse, the disc titles actually spells soundtrack without a space. Probably means we need to add an alternative for that, too?

Hahah...
This bothered me for a long time - so much so that I finally got a really big box down from a high-up place in my garage and got my physical copy out. The discs in my copy have the space, reading "Sound Track". I checked back to the scans here, and the discs are clearly the SQEX print - you can read it right on the label. Unfortunately, I can't provide a scan of the real thing, but I think someone should move the scans over to their appropriate place (or maybe the reprint already has scans). But, it's consistent at least in the spacing on this print.
Old May 2, 2011, 12:55 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Well, the scans we have for this entry is a little better, so I'm transferring them to the SQEX reprint. I wonder why no one else has noticed this before... Good catch, Medina.
Old May 2, 2011, 03:16 PM

Yeah, I feel really silly for not noticing it earlier... I looked at this a few times even.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:32 PM

Doubtful Atmosphere reads odd, would Dubious or Suspicious be better? Also Descent might be better as Advent?

Last edited by Fearin; Jul 13, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:41 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Also, "Algas" should be "Encounter with Algus" and 1.38 lacks "theme".

(btw the sound test uses different track names than this in both the JP and the US PSP versions)
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:16 AM

English Changes
Disc 1
M.10 Officer Cadet -> Military Cadet
M.16 Algas -> Encounter With Algus
M.27 Doubtful Atmosphere -> Suspicious Atmosphere
M.38 Zalbag, the Holy Knight -> Holy Knight Zalbag's Theme
Disc 2
M.02 Dicedarg's Theme -> Dycedarg's Theme
M.08 Descent -> Advent

Reasoning
M.10 Odd read, used something closer to the localization.
M.16 As Dag pointed out it is more than just a character name.
M.27 Doubtful Atmosphere was an odd read Dubious and Suspicious were better, Suspicious was chosen because it is more vague and well known as a word.
M.38 Added the word theme as Dag mentioned, but also made it in line with the other themes.

M.02 Was a typo
M.08 Advent seems better since it is both religious and means the beginning or onset of something.

Kept the newer translations of names and places from War of the lions out.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 05:55 AM

Did any first pressings of this come with a Moogle card AND a Ramza card? I occasionally see such sets for sale but I suspect the Ramza card came with copies of the game rather than the soundtrack, and has just been bundled with the latter by the seller.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student41269 View Post
Did any first pressings of this come with a Moogle card AND a Ramza card? I occasionally see such sets for sale but I suspect the Ramza card came with copies of the game rather than the soundtrack, and has just been bundled with the latter by the seller.
I've bought the OST and the game multiple times and I've only ever seen the OST/Moogle and game/Ramza pairs so your suspicions are probably correct.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 02:30 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The composer comments from the sound test have been translated: http://shmuplations.com/fftmusic/

They're mostly pretty silly, though, so don't expect deep musicological insights or anything haha
Old Jul 29, 2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
The composer comments from the sound test have been translated: http://shmuplations.com/fftmusic/

They're mostly pretty silly, though, so don't expect deep musicological insights or anything haha
wow, TIL about the Sound Novels/unused tracks. Would have been really neat if they referenced the Hourai Gakuen no Bouken connection but either way this is great. Thanks for posting, CHz
Old Jul 29, 2020, 06:20 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Translator left out most of the sound test track names. Lame, the world deserves to know about SMPL1.JPG. Here they are:
Spoiler:
01 Daimyo Procession Commoner Kill-Right
02 Matasaburo of the Wind
03 A More Mature
04 SMPL1.JPG
05 Church Attack
06 Enter Mr. Bear
07 Patriot Banzai
08 Oh! Japanesque
09 Stars Be falling
10 Zun Zun
11 The Melancholy of Ramza-kun
12 Assault Sergeant
13 Laughing Mr. Bear
14 Ceremony Time
15 Run, Silver
16 Rolling Sobat
17 Hell Dance
18 Ms. Ajora Big Rolling
19 Heartless Demon Lord
26 Border Guards
27 Morning Milk
28 Honest Accounting
29 Employment Service Center
30 Mr. Bear to Fur Shop
31 Henshin Faces
32 Arzalam's Room
33 How's it Goin'?
34 Gonna Be Long to Talk About
36 Battle Report
37 The Queen's Hair
38 Eebalice Cola
40 Earth's Blessing
41 Right Before Coma
42 Rice Field Paths March
43 It Be Victory Roll
44 Look at the Real Me
50 Impossible, Man
51 Praying Mr. Bear
52 Mr. Bear During Meal
53 Dancing Evildoers
54 Hymn of Love
55 My Heart Is Cold
56 After Harvest
57 Harvest Dance of the Ra Tribe
58 SMoto-kun's Requiem
59 Fresh Morning
60 B♥heading Time
61 Happy Mr. Bear
63 Evildoers Confused
64 Music Room Waves
65 The Forest Mr. Bear in He♥t
66 The Queen's Shoes
67 Little Sister's Socks
68 Friend's Sweat
70 Howling Old Man
71 Sal Bag
72 About Cid
73 Mr. Bear Is Sad
74 Ms. Ajora Grinning
75 Ms. Ajora In Action
76 Bondage
77 Gold Leaf
78 Soy Milk from the Nose
79 And I

(skipped tracks that were translated)

Also missing some (all?) of Iwata's extended dumb comments (PS1 only and not on PSP, or the other way around I think).
Tactics Ogre has a similarly weird sound test, btw, and don't forget Treasure Hunter G. Iwata and Sakimoto sure had fun back then.

Last edited by Dag; Jul 30, 2020 at 05:44 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:26 AM

Some of the track titles made me laugh so hard! I mean, "Soy Milk from the Nose" ... really? "Little Sister's Socks" ... uhmm yeah! This sounds totally Final Fantasy-ish lol.

This should get an award for worst tracklist translation in a video game. Even if it's ony the sound test.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 03:52 PM

If I ever own this soundtrack, I'm naming the files that way cause that's just hilarious. Also they'd be way easier to remember.