VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 15, 2014, 07:53 AM

This is the first time this happens. 0.o
For some reason the scans I uploaded were uploaded in double. And NO I did not uploaded them in double. I fetched the files, uploaded, and on my left side I have the pictures showing. I was making sure it was all named good. When I click save, I suddenly saw, when the submission page is complete, these unnamed fields for pictures. I got to edit the scans section and saw all those pics in double. I wrote "DELETE" on the ones that are doubled.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:54 AM

This is a film soundtrack. Why is it in game music? Do only animated films go into the other section? Rurouni Kenshin is chiefly an anime series.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:32 PM

oh, if you are going to have that question then.... you should see the Joe Hisaishi database here including TV dramas soundtracks or movie dramas not related to anime or game or anything else.
Ask about those first, and then come asking about a live action movie soundtrack related to an anime, with also game soundtracks.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:49 PM

In regards to the doubled-scans, sorry: it was my fault. When I viewed the album page, the only scan listed was the Front, so I've batch-uploaded the rest.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:52 PM

again, that old discussion
just add a "live-action" category (allowing drama to be added) and stop discussing that once and for all (not talking to anyone in particular, or to SS maybe)
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
In regards to the doubled-scans, sorry: it was my fault. When I viewed the album page, the only scan listed was the Front, so I've batch-uploaded the rest.
we wee doing at the same time. XD
What are the odds of that happening? xD
Old Sep 15, 2014, 01:01 PM

Oops, is this an old discussion? Sorry, I didn't know, but I guess that says something about the issue

Here's the thing though: we don't have a live action category. So, shouldn't live films based on game media go in game, and live films based on anime media go in anime? It just seems sensible. Rurouni Kenshin is an anime series. It has a couple games after the anime, but it was created as an anime and is chiefly thought of as an anime. I think the related films should be in the anime category.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 01:07 PM

Oh also kind of missed this post somehow, sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanticScent View Post
oh, if you are going to have that question then.... you should see the Joe Hisaishi database here including TV dramas soundtracks or movie dramas not related to anime or game or anything else.
That's a fair point to bring up, but I'm trying to avoid even addressing this dumbshit thing we do where if a composer is a "well-known" or "well-credited" composer we add every stupid thing he or she ever did. Some of that is just going to have no place whatsoever. Yeah, I'm sure a lot of that is not related to anything at all and it's just slapped into game music. I don't think that shit even belongs in the database. But then, I kind of think this doesn't belong in the database, so maybe my opinion of which section it should go in is moot

No offense to you RomanticScent, I just... don't think this belongs on VGMdb. It's not game or even anime. It's a distant cousin.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 01:09 PM

that discussion is like flu, it comes back every year
with that sempiternal excuse used: hisaishi drama stuff is in the db so why not other stuff

bleh, it could be added like animation was at its debut (little by little)
it's not like there are many more vgm stuff to add now (since SS had said he wanted to have a good deal of anime etc before drama, it's time or it could never be time)
Old Sep 15, 2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
No offense to you RomanticScent, I just... don't think this belongs on VGMdb. It's not game or even anime. It's a distant cousin.
It's related.... Unless the rules change.
No offense taken. But these discussions at this point make me laugh crazy.
No offense to you to, and I know what you mean and are you trying to get.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:21 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
This is a film soundtrack. Why is it in game music?
It is not classified in game music. Live-action movies based on video game or animation series (as well as completely original work albums that don't have any represented product) do not have a category, this isn't classified in either game or animation. Look at Sato's page, do you notice different color for this album? Yeah, dark blue ones have no category classification.

If a discussion is started for any of these that do not have a category, forum thread will be auto-created in vg section, it was always like this unless SS or Blah or someone else changes the default destination of these threads.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 05:09 PM

Ohhhhhhhh man that is so confusing but okay, on the page for this entry it just says Movie. This post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
just add a "live-action" category (allowing drama to be added) and stop discussing that once and for all (not talking to anyone in particular, or to SS maybe)
is really good.

(And seriously whyyyyyy do we include stuff like this it is excessive.)

EDIT: brb adding Come Clean to the database because it contains Blurry which was used in Ace Combat 5 so it's relevant content to the database. I mean, where does it stop

Last edited by Hellacia; Sep 15, 2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:18 PM

Is it really that bad for VGMdb to expand the "range" of material it covers, over time? I mean, if folks really have a problem with this, what should we say about the "Original Work" kind of albums? These seem to be featured here mainly because they're Anime/Video Game Music artists' works, but other than that, how are they tied to VGM?

Last edited by ilef; Sep 15, 2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:38 PM

the problem maybe comes from the fact that anime or vgm is "known" (dbz, ff, dq, etc)
drama, sentai, etc are quite obscure or not well "known"

personally, I don't mind checking those kind of releases
Old Sep 16, 2014, 01:57 AM

Quote:
how are they tied to VGM?
They're not

I guess I'm just the grumpy old coot that wants the database to be about something particular. I'm not saying because the site is named VGMdb it has to be only about game music. I like the inclusion of anime music. But adding Disney shit is lame. Adding random B-Boy park albums because they're on a certain record label (seriously, wtf?) is lame. Adding Nobuo Uematsu's CD of random-ass music just because he composed x amount of game music soundtracks is lame. Adding anything from Touhou is lame. It should have its own database, seriously. This page is an absolute joke - watch how long it takes your computer just to load it. I'm on a $1500 gaming computer and it took about 12 seconds to load it. Now look how much is orange. Now look how many people care about dumb Touhou doujins. Yeah, that shit should have its own database. Let people on a Touhou wiki somewhere care about that shit.

But whatever, it's not my database. I'm just exercising my right to express my stupid opinion.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 02:12 AM
Trusted Editor

Hellacia, are you saying that game music shouldn't be on VGMdb if it's Touhou? :P
Old Sep 16, 2014, 02:28 AM

One individual even grumpier could point out that "Anime" still is a shortened way to say Animation, and what makes Japanese Animation ok to stay here? The mere fact that it is Japanese? What standards. :P

If you include that stuff, there isn't really that much of an argument against the presence of Western-Animation-related albums, here.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia

I guess I'm just the grumpy old coot that wants the database to be about something particular. I'm not saying because the site is named VGMdb it has to be only about game music.
long ago, I found weird (I'm polite when I say that) that vgmdb had other stuff than vgm
I guess blah used a trick about that by using "visual arts", maybe vgmdb could mean "visual arts/game music database" now

Quote:
I like the inclusion of anime music. But adding Disney shit is lame. Adding random B-Boy park albums because they're on a certain record label (seriously, wtf?) is lame. Adding Nobuo Uematsu's CD of random-ass music just because he composed x amount of game music soundtracks is lame. Adding anything from Touhou is lame. It should have its own database, seriously.
personally, I had asked a differenciation for western animation like disney shit, because I don't care about that shit (want to filter)
about solo albums, I don't find it bothersome
as for touhou, my opinion about that is known but I can recall it, I filter it and I want product pages can filter that shit too

Quote:
This page is an absolute joke - watch how long it takes your computer just to load it. I'm on a $1500 gaming computer and it took about 12 seconds to load it. Now look how much is orange. Now look how many people care about dumb Touhou doujins. Yeah, that shit should have its own database. Let people on a Touhou wiki somewhere care about that shit.
I could be wrong but I think it's server-side, not client-side
you could have the fastest computer of the world, if the server takes time to generate the page so it'll be slow for everybody
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:45 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
I guess blah used a trick about that by using "visual arts", maybe vgmdb could mean "visual arts/game music database" now
Well, it is the logo subtitle vs. the earlier one
http://i.minus.com/ibwnfrn1pgakp2.gif
so that's not anything new now, is it?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:51 AM

I didn't know the original logo
Old Sep 16, 2014, 07:13 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I still hope the database will be split in half someday. It have been only evoked in the past, but the idea is great. One database dedicated to vgm, one for anime.

We got vgm, anime, demo-scene music, japanese hardcore whatever i don't even know music, pachi machines music, doujins, touhou, film related music...
Propably 50% of stuff i personally would like to exclude.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:13 AM

I think with all the extra stuff (live action, original work, etc) the place loses its identity. It's as if Burger King starts specializing in pizza and tacos on top of their main course - burgers. I say no to that. Don't confuse a customer, just give me a goddamn burger.

Quote:
EDIT: brb adding Come Clean to the database because it contains Blurry which was used in Ace Combat 5 so it's relevant content to the database. I mean, where does it stop
At some point there was an album submitted which was not vgm-related but it had 1 track used in a promo trailer for a game (think it was Xenosaga) so... the submission was declined, but frankly an album like that is as big of a stretch as any other Original Work album from demo scene, or any Original Work from Nobuo Uematsu if it's not vgm related.

Granted I myself submitted 1 or 2 original work albums in the past but in retrospect I don't think they belong here.

I support the idea of a split database for anime (AMdb or AniMdb or something), as for everything else like Live Action, Disney animation, Original Work, Demo Scene - I don't even know where to stick it, but it shouldn't be in vgmdb.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I could be wrong but I think it's server-side, not client-side
you could have the fastest computer of the world, if the server takes time to generate the page so it'll be slow for everybody
Oh okay, that sounds like it's probably the way it works, but it still takes way too long to load regardless of what's loading it. There's just too much junk on that page. Razakin, considering there pretty much aren't any original Touhou soundtracks (maybe a couple for the fighting games?) and it's all fan shit, yes, it would be better if Touhou just resided somewhere else.

Actually, I hadn't known that people had talked about splitting the database. That would be the most sensible move, though I have no idea how that's even possible at this point.

Quote:
One individual even grumpier could point out that "Anime" still is a shortened way to say Animation
And that individual wouldn't really have much of a point considering that anime refers to all Japanese animation. Can you imagine anyone watching Pocahontas, being asked what they're watching, and answering "anime"? Yeah, that's pretty absurd The fact is, nobody considers the word anime to apply to non-Japanese animation. Whether the term sounds like it means a certain thing is a bit moot. Pretty much anybody who uses the term will tell you that Western cartoons are not anime.

An important thing to know about words: there's a (sometimes antiquated) dictionary definition for a word, and then there's what it means in the everyday practice of a culture. That usage is the real meaning of the word, since it's how the word is... well, meant when people say it. That the word "anime" is a shortened pronunciation of the word "animation" doesn't really have any meaning when people use it to describe a particular thing.

But like it's already been said, it's the database of "visual arts" so what-everrrrrrrrrr
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLO View Post
At some point there was an album submitted which was not vgm-related but it had 1 track used in a promo trailer for a game (think it was Xenosaga) so... the submission was declined, but frankly an album like that is as big of a stretch as any other Original Work album from demo scene, or any Original Work from Nobuo Uematsu if it's not vgm related.
Agreed and that was kind of going to be my point of submitting that (I was really going to): it would probably be declined, and then this database would really just not know what it wants In fact it has MORE to do with VGM than a Nobuo Uematsu original CD; it actually has a song found in a game! It has REAL game music! Yet it would probably be declined. The current situation is a real mess.

Last edited by Hellacia; Sep 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 01:05 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Agreed and that was kind of going to be my point of submitting that (I was really going to): it would probably be declined, and then this database would really just not know what it wants In fact it has MORE to do with VGM than a Nobuo Uematsu original CD; it actually has a song found in a game! It has REAL game music! Yet it would probably be declined. The current situation is a real mess.
Actually, if it was just used in promo trailer, then I wouldn't call it game music at all.

And my few cents in subject, I'm fine with all the demo scene stuff, original works from well-known/profilic composers, and western anime stuff being on the database, and I really would hate to see a split in db. And to be honest, it would be silly, especially when nowadays composers on eastern side do jump between games and anime. Live action stuff is bit iffy, unless it's tied to a game/anime franchise. Even on those cases, there could be some case by case discussions going on.

Some ruling standards are good, but some cases should be open for discussion, like Hiroyuki Sawano's other works to be added or not for example.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
Actually, if it was just used in promo trailer, then I wouldn't call it game music at all.
I think the reference was not towards Xenosaga example but towards Ace Combat 5 example, which had a track actually used in game. "Blurry" was used in-game and on official soundtrack. (disc 4, last track)
Old Sep 16, 2014, 01:34 PM
Trusted Editor

Ah, I read it as the Xenosaga example. And on the case of Blurry, perhaps good middleground would be to add the single instead of the full Puddle of Mudd album.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 01:47 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Live action stuff is bit iffy, unless it's tied to a game/anime franchise. Even on those cases, there could be some case by case discussions going on.
The only clear cases of live-action movie adaptations are the ones that are based on game/animation as the original product (of the franchise), such as Prince of Persia, Resident Evil series etc. In Japan that thing is frequently quite impossible because the original product is often manga, but yeah, it's always up for discussion so some franchises are fine, some not.

Quote:
Some ruling standards are good, but some cases should be open for discussion, like Hiroyuki Sawano's other works to be added or not for example.
This too, yup, there's a sort of a ruling standard if the composer has most works in game/animation area (pure numerically speaking, so his/hers other works do not outnumber game/animation works), you can add anything else here but that thing is broken in Hisaishi's case where his (Ghibli) popularity had more influence... Sawano and other people could take the Hisaishi card one day.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 02:00 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
The only clear cases of live-action movie adaptations are the ones that are based on game/animation as the original product (of the franchise), such as Prince of Persia, Resident Evil series etc. In Japan that thing is frequently quite impossible because the original product is often manga, but yeah, it's always up for discussion so some franchises are fine, some not.
Yeah, forgot to mention those clear cases. I mean, if there's gonna be some for example My Little Pony game, with soundtrack, that wouldn't allow people to add soundtracks for the animation (if there is even something like that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
This too, yup, there's a sort of a ruling standard if the composer has most works in game/animation area (pure numerically speaking, so his/hers other works do not outnumber game/animation works), you can add anything else here but that thing is broken in Hisaishi's case where his (Ghibli) popularity had more influence... Sawano and other people could take the Hisaishi card one day.
Numbers-game is bit iffy for me, we should also check composers production for the last two or four years, if he/she has started doing more and more anime/game stuff, and perhaps some major stuff, then I think his/her original etc. works should be allowed.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 02:08 PM
VGMdb Staff

Also for Ace Combat, here's a Grand Theft Auto (San Andreas for example) analogy - let's add every album (or single) where the licensed songs were originally released years before the game. Because the licensed songs of GTA: SA are effectively the game's soundtrack. How about that hahahahahaha
Old Sep 16, 2014, 02:54 PM

Is it game music or is it not game music? It is game music? It is played in a game and is the soundtrack to the game? Okay then, let's add it to the database.

Or, better idea! Let's have some kind of filter as to when content just simply isn't appropriate for the database. If you think I really want Come Clean to be in the database, you're missing my point. I think that would be one of the dumbest additions to the database ever. But we're seriously going to rule that out and then still include fucking B-Boy Park 2000 albums because hurr hurr they're on a certain record label? Bullshit.

Movies are visual arts, are they not? I can't think of a better way to describe them. That's exactly what they are. Now let's add EVERY MOVIE SOUNDTRACK EVER and what does this database focus on anymore?

I accept I'm in a minority. There's my worthless opinion once again. Thanks for reading.