VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 14, 2015, 12:55 PM

Default CDGM-10029: Nekketsu High School Sound Club SFC Compilation

Here's what I've managed to dig out.

Shodai: Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun
Composer: Akira Inoue, Taku Urabe, Michiya Hirasawa

Kunio-kun no Dodgeball da yo: Zenin Shuugou!
Composer: Kazuo Sawa, Chiaki Iizuka, Reiko Uehara, Kiyomi Kataoka

Downtown Nekketsu Baseball Monogatari: Yakyuu de Shoubu da! Kunio-kun
Composer: CUBE, Chiaki Iizuka, Kiyomi Kataoka, Reiko Uehara

Shin Nekketsu Kouha: Kunio-tachi no Banka
Composer: Kazunaka Yamane

Kunio no Oden
Composer: Kiyomi Kataoka, Reiko Uehara, Chiaki Iizuka, Taku Urabe

Feel free to correct any mistakes.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 04:41 AM

Is the character "編" really translated correctly here? I am very confused by the use of that character on this site. It seems to have different translations depending on the album in question:
Edition, compilation, part, edition, compilation, version, episode, and sometimes it is just left as the Japanese pronunciation.

I agree that a character can have different meanings depending on where or together with what it is written, but if the only difference between two titles are the console name, the meaning of "編" should be the same. Google translate says "ファミコン編" means "Famicom Edition", while saying that "編" means compilation on its own. My dictionary also agrees on the compilation meaning.

If "ファミコン編" is translated as "Famicom Edition" on this site, I don't understand the reasoning behind translating "メガドライブ編" and "SFC編" into "MegaDrive Compilation" and "SFC Compilation", since they are identical uses of the same character. I understand that everyone translates things differently, but perhaps it's time to use the same standard for the same thing throughout the site.

Going back to the title of the album again, isn't the meaning of "サウンド部" something like "sound club", most likely a reference to Kunio's dodgeball club. And should the title then be "Nekketsu High School Sound Club", or should the other album be "Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball-bu Soccer Edition"? Neither of them seem to have any English title.

These are the things that keep me up at night. :<
Old Jun 29, 2015, 05:58 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Having consistent translations for the character across all albums would be hard, since each title has its own nuance. Granted, it would be nice to be consistent across very similar titles like the console-specific ones you mentioned.

I do agree with the translation of サウンド部 as "sound club" though.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 03:28 PM

I'm working on translations of the tracks since I am reviewing this album, so I'll post them here when I am finished with them.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 01:07 PM

Shin Nekketsu Koha: Kunio-tachi no Banka is being ported to the Switch in late 2021 as "River City Girls Zero"