VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 2, 2018, 05:26 AM

Default An Unofficial Soundtrack for Gunpey (PSP)

Gunpey on the PSP was an old underrated puzzle action game released back in 2006 by Q Entertainment, the same studio that released Lumines. It's one of my favorite games ever and I'm in love with the soundtrack. Fueled by nostalgia, I searched for an OST album I could listen to. Too bad an official soundtrack was never released for the game.

There is, however, a YouTube playlist I found made by some guy who recorded the music by recording each stage of the game with the sfx turned off. Unfortunately, it's kinda garbage. The audio quality is lame , they're way too long, and there are occasional glitches in some of the recordings.

So instead I decided to make my own unofficial soundtrack by using actual audio files from the game. With the help of QuickBMS, PSound, and a downloaded iso of the game, I was able to extract the game's audio files.

The game's BGMs where placed as chopped loops instead of full tracks because of how the game would loop a section of a track if you took too long to score some points. Unfortunately this meant I had to painstakingly arrange the loops end-to-end until I had the full tracks. But the game has 40+ tracks so it took me a long time.

But I persevered and I finally had all the full tracks ready to listen to and to share . I also decided to transition the tracks between each other to create a nonstop mix because why not? The game itself plays the tracks that way anyway.

You can listen to the finished Gunpey PSP BGM Nonstop Mix on my Youtube channel here: https://youtu.be/2_cpsTu2CdA

Download links to the MP3 album is in the video description.

I may make a separate Non-nonstop-mix version (Just the tracks, no transitions) in the future. Depends on if and when I want to do it.

Tags
psp. soundtrack