VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 19, 2018, 04:58 PM

Cool New VGM Soundtrack Additions: Red Book Audio

Hey gang!

New to forums in general so apologies if this idea has already been shot down XD.

What does everyone think about the inclusion of the actual games / product ids via the games themselves that contain a PC readable soundtrack?

For example, there are Sega CD and Saturn games that sometimes contain the full soundtrack on the disc when placing in your PC. These in essence are essentially retail release versions of the soundtrack as well as the game all in one.

Even if the game disc itself doesn't have all the tracks, it's essentially a "sound selections" soundtrack.

Not sure if this is adding too many categories, but this will add to the library some titles that never had an "official" release outside of being only on the game itself.

Thanks for reading!

NESSNESMASTER
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:54 AM

for redbooks and gamerips, it has already been discussed and refused
no idea if there are other stuff like those but it's to bet the answer would be the same
Old Dec 20, 2018, 05:13 AM

Can we get one thing clear?

The games didn't "include" the soundtrack on CD. CD Audio *is* the soundtrack, the format that it took, rather than any files on disc. There's a difference and it's a huge pet peeve that so many seem to think it's a bonus or something (there are games where there's a bonus, such as infamously SOTN)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 05:35 PM

I read ya.

I assume the same goes for games that include the tracklist and label it as a soundtrack too? Such as the Mega CD version of Might and Magic: 3 Isle of Terra?

It is the game disc, but when you open the manual it has a "soundtrack" section with the tracklist.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 05:36 PM

Thanks!

I figured as much, but you don't know unless you ask :P
Old Dec 20, 2018, 06:18 PM

Is there a site with a definitive list of what games use redbook audio?

I'm particularly interested in PlayStation / PC / games that didn't receive a proper soundtrack release otherwise.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 06:32 PM

I don't know of a particular site or list with all of them, but in my experience with PS1 games it's best to use a PC with a disc tray.

There have been a few times I tried using a laptop with an auto loader and the computer went nuts because it couldn't figure out what the ps1 disc was. Almost had to take the computer apart to remove the disc lol

Pretty sure there is no way this is all of them, but may be a good place to start!

https://www.giantbomb.com/redbook-au...15-6487/games/
Old Dec 20, 2018, 09:55 PM

Are those games in any particular order? I can't seem to find a way to sort them by name or console.

Edit: I forgot about Ys Book I & II! The music was totally different in that game, wasn't it?

Last edited by Jedi QuestMaster; Dec 20, 2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 05:15 AM

Beyond the SOTN example there are a few that have an actual soundtrack as bonus, for instance the Interplay 10th Year Anthology: https://vgmdb.net/album/2008

Also the 7th Guest had one (came with two discs, soundtrack on disc 2) but it doesn't seem to be on here.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 05:33 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
Edit: I forgot about Ys Book I & II! The music was totally different in that game, wasn't it?
Ys Book I & II for the Turbografx CD (PC Engine CD) has redbook audio for most of its tracks, but not all. The songs that are not using redbook audio just use the console's music chip.

The music on that game CD is unique to that CD, as no official Falcom soundtrack releases feature that music.

Most Turbografx CD games have redbook audio on them, but because the game CDs are rare these days, they are expensive. Ys I and II sells around $60 USD on eBay while Gate of Thunder is around $100 USD on eBay.

Last edited by Eriol; Dec 27, 2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:20 PM

You dont need to use a pc to play red book you can use a normal cd player. (Quickly skip the first track in case you get loading noise)
I have around 70 mega cd games and all have some red book audio. Mostly the hole soundtrack is their but some only 3/4 and the rest being chip tunes. (Like Snatcher)
Old Jan 1, 2019, 07:05 AM

My current CD player doesn't even play the noise track, he just skips this automatically no matter what I'm doing, which is great, as the disc plays exactly like a regular CD.

I think this Redbook Audio discs are a great and interesting thing, chance is that the games and their consoles are kind of forgotten (or you don't play the game because of lots of japanese screen text or whatnot) and when it's a PC-game there's also the usual compability problems of modern PC hardware - but even with all these issues, at least for game music fans these discs are kind of valuable because you can just put them on a regular CD player and enjoy the music.

Besides, thanks to the fact that in many cases almost the whole soundtrack is on the game disc anyway, that music never got "regular" soundtrack releases - there was no point. If you owned the game, why would you want to pay money for a regular CD with pretty much the same content again?
I'd say there are reasons why "Sonic CD" only had a Arrange CD back in the days or why the soundtrack for "Rondo of Blood" was released before the game came out, paired up with the soundtrack to "Bloodlines" and whatnot.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:28 PM

yeah there is nice if there is list of games has redbook audio system. like i just buyd quake 2 for PC and some extra campaing disc for same game and i know some thouse extra disc have redbook, but not all..

Tags
new category, red book audio, vgm, video game music