VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:06 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Default A few suggestions

I've been having some thoughts about the sites and came up with a few features that might be interesting to implement.

Exclude re-prints from search results

Sometimes when you search you're just looking for the info from the parent album, so I was thinking that maybe you could add another checkbox in the filter box to the top right area. This could also be nice if you want to check how many albums you've got listed from one series of albums on VGMdb (for example Final Fantasy).

Improve the scan browser

I'm giving another shot on trying to improve the browser that is used when you've clicked on a scan. Since the suggestion I last made (http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3753) apparently seems to have been denied. All that really needs to be done is have the browser to stop at the location where the user last clicked on a scan. Having to browse 5-10 chapters to get to the next scan is just ridiculous. If this is not possible, then maybe "next" and "previous" buttons would do?

List of how many types of "x" you've got in your collection

How about adding a little list of how many doujins, promos etc. you've got in your collection?

Edit:
Total amount of tracks in the bottom of tracklists

Since we have total length of all the tracks, I figured it would be a nice idea to have a little text where it says how many tracks there are on the release in total.

Last edited by Nisto; Apr 4, 2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I haven't denied your idea about the scan browser; just putting it off for the moment. But here's what I'm thinking: remove the carousel entirely, and just have a retractable panel of thumbnails.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:45 AM
VGMdb Administrator

If you want to exclude the reprints from the search results, you can do that on the advanced search panel. In fact, there are quite a few different options for handling parent and child albums in those results. Simple search should remain as it is, to cover what most people want to see.

I like your stats idea; I'm a big fan of stats.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:58 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Oh! I did look in the advanced search before but I couldn't find it, but I see now where it's done.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 03:20 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I'm bumping this, because... Err, read my edit in the first post
Old Apr 4, 2010, 09:58 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Bumping this yet again, please read my last edit in the first post - I'd appreciate an answer!

Is there even any thoughts put into any of these suggestions (besides from the first two )?

Last edited by Nisto; Apr 4, 2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
Bumping this yet again, please read my last edit in the first post - I'd appreciate an answer!

Is there even any thoughts put into any of these suggestions (besides from the first two )?
You do realize there are numbers on the left-hand side of the tracklist, right?

One need only to shift their gaze to the left to see how many tracks there are on the disc. If there's more than one disc, they just need to add. It's not that hard to figure out.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Apr 4, 2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 03:40 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
List of how many types of "x" you've got in your collection

How about adding a little list of how many doujins, promos etc. you've got in your collection?
Certainly doable. I always like more stats.

Quote:
Total amount of tracks in the bottom of tracklists
You mean a sum total that totals all discs? I think that might only be useful for some of the larger multi-disc albums, and not needed in the general case.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 04:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
You mean a sum total that totals all discs? I think that might only be useful for some of the larger multi-disc albums.
Yes, exactly. Rather than taking up a calculator just to find out how many tracks there are in one release in total.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:18 AM

The total amount of tracks could be accompanied with the total length of all discs together, and to make it even more funky, the average track length. Maybe that could be put into the album stats box in the top right?