VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 2, 2012, 01:12 AM

Default Nintendo ost Facebook petition

Let's start a Facebook petition for all game companies, (mainly Nintendo) Japanese or not, to show we have interest in buying soundtracks for these games if they existed! It worked for bringing games over ( The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles) so why not soundtracks? I know internet petitions very rarely get results, but like I said it worked with The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles. So write on Nintendo's and other developers Facebook and write letters to their Japanese offices, I tried to write to Nintendo of Japan regarding osts for Brawl and Wario Land: Shake It! but they forwarded my letter to NoA because it has to be written in Kanji. So if you don't know the language, take the time to learn it!!! You'll be glad you did. It will make all the difference for these osts to get released! But if everybody writes to them then they will know that we are interested and might give us what we want! It might even work for reprints of older osts like Yoshi's Island! Also someone needs to come up with a name for the petition, it should have Operation in the name, maybe something having to do with Japan or video games, perhaps?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 01:59 AM

a label should release nintendo soundtracks, and not nintendo directly
a bit like that pokemon label that releases pokemon music

maybe pony canyon or media factory could make the thing
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:44 AM

I'd buy a Smash Bros. Brawl soundtrack. But I wonder if there was a reason for there not being a release?

There were so many composers & arrangers that I can imagine paying credit to all of them was the killing point.

But still, I'd sign that petition.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:02 AM

Brawl's soundtrack is gargantuan. Hypothetically it could be released, but it'd cost more than the game itself.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:42 AM

I've also written to Nintendo before about the soundtracks and nothing happened. I wanted a petition on this website and the community was split on it.

The facebook petition sounds like it would work out a lot better. You can link the page on Nintendo's official facebook page and get tons of potential signature signers. Perhaps we can even create a video of all the games that have come out with music accompanying that visual. Hell, maybe a poll could be done on what unreleased soundtrack gamers want the most (probably Twilight Princess).

Do you have a list of all the soundtracks Nintendo hasn't released?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:32 AM

Hmm. It's better to try than do nothing. Maybe someone could make a logo or banner for the page?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
I'd buy a Smash Bros. Brawl soundtrack. But I wonder if there was a reason for there not being a release?

There were so many composers & arrangers that I can imagine paying credit to all of them was the killing point.

But still, I'd sign that petition.
Video game composers very rarely own the rights to their work. It's usually owned by the company that made the game. Still, there are some licensed tracks from Sega and Konami that would either have to be cut or paid for. Also, like Blitz said, it's just far too long. It would be over a dozen discs.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Do you have a list of all the soundtracks Nintendo hasn't released?
Here's a few that I can remember off the top of my head. Maybe a list could be kept in the first post?

Super Mario Kart
Pilotwings
Sim City
Super Mario All-stars
Super Mario Sunshine
Mario Kart: Double Dash !!
Luigi's Mansion
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Super Mario Land 2
Kaeru no Tameni
F-Zero X Expansion Kit
Mario Kart DS
Mario Artist
Excitebike World Rally
... meh I give up

Might be better to just go down a list of all Nintendo EAD titles and check off the ones without soundtracks.
There's many more if you include Retro/HAL/Intelligent Systems too. ('A`)
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:19 AM

They won't do it because there's no money in it.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:49 AM

Conceptually, I do like the idea of Nintendo getting some more soundtracks for its games out there--and I'd be over-the-moon if I could lay my mitts on some out of print Nintendo OSTs. Lamentably, though, I do have to confess that much of Nintendo's recent musical output has left me cold--which dampens my enthusiasm for releases of OSTs for contemporary Nintendo games, as I would be somewhat reluctant to support them myself.

Truth be told, though, I'm still all for whatever enterprise is engineered to compel Nintendo to get some more soundtrack CDs out there--and if I can lend a boon to such a movement I will be very glad to make it.

Last edited by Uppa; Mar 19, 2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 09:26 AM

Wow really shocked at some of the comments in this thread....

I'm pretty sure Nintendo could make money off this, as there is a huge fan base. All these composers likely sold the rights to their music to Nintendo so they could do whatever the heck they want with it. Digital sales are booming for music, so as much as I'd love to see physical CD's, I don't understand why they couldn't throw this up on iTunes/Amazone etc...

There are a lot of publishers that probably have that same mentality that the game itself comes first, music is not a priority. There are people active in the video game music industry trying to remove this stigma (ie. Tommy Tallirico and VGL). So what I've been pondering these past few months and have discussed with others. Is that the video game music fan base is fractured and all over the place. There needs to be a huge body. I know there is OCR but all they do is remix, the artists are somewhat represented, but in the end you fall under the great OCR umbrella. More attention needs to be drawn to the publishers that there is a huge community and that they want to buy their music.

I'm all for petitions, but why not look at it on a grander scale, maybe we should formulate which companies don't have soundtracks and try getting something bigger moving?

I run a video game music radio station, with that core mindset. I'm trying to get proper liscencing/blessing for all the music I play and it's not easy. I could use help not only with that, but this idea of getting VGM more recognized with publishers is something that should be pushed.

Anyone in this thread really want to get something going? Cause I'm willing to help in some aspects, but need the support and passion to do it!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 04:39 PM
Trusted Editor

I'd definitely sign the petition, but I dunno how else I could help.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:14 AM

Have you guys heard of GL Front?

They are a group like operation rainfall, except they are trying to get Valkyria Chronicles 3 localized to North America. http://www.facebook.com/GLFront

Now if I had clones of myself I'd love to get something on that scale going with a issue like this. I think starting with Facebook is good and getting an online petition to go with it. With a subject like this I would also like to promote it through the radio station, either by playing soundtracks ripped from the games.

I saw there is a thread with all the games with soundtracks, so maybe if we got a list of all the publishers that don't put out soundtracks?

Any other suggestions? Comments?