VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:22 PM

I just posted this on my main blog, but here's my current ideas on YoRHa and this so-called "Accord Battle Theme" that's been floating around...

For those of you following the news of the secret track ripped from the game which was labeled as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js9Uz...s battle theme, here's some interesting food for thought for youー but please be warned of spoilers. I would recommend not reading any further in this post if you do not want to be spoiled on the story of DOD3.

First of all, Accord has no battle theme within the game. She is not a playable character. Although she technically *does* have a little bit of an action role, she has no such theme that could be categorized as her battle theme within the story of the game. Now, if they had initially planned for her to have such a role in the game and thusly needed to cut it, that would be entirely a different story, although I'm a bit skeptical on that front.

Secondly, the actual track is another vocal performance by YoRHa (ヨルハ) on their CD entitled "Normandy / Guadalcanal"*, which you can hear in a longer remix version here: https://soundcloud.com/syouyamashita/extend-overdub-rmx

According to YoRHa's official Web site, there is a specific story background for the singing/talent group. Here is my translation of the very sparse information on their Web site:

SToRY
======================================
西暦11939年 第十四次機械兵器戦争勃発
11,939AD Outbreak of the 14th Machine Armament War

機械生命体に地上を制圧された遠い未来。
In the distant future when the world is conquered by mechanical live.

衛星軌道上に逃れた人類は、増殖強化される機械生命体に対し決定的な打撃を与える事が出来ずに居た。
As the remaining humans fled to the moon (or artificial satellite), they were unable to deal the decisive blow to the mechanical life which found a way to fortify their propagation.

衛星軌道上からの降下艦隊は全て撃沈され、爆撃作戦も全て無効化。
The humans descended from orbit with a fleet of ships, firing all of their torpedos and bombs, but all attempts to destroy the machines were ineffective.

地表にたどり着いた僅かな友軍も、圧倒的な敵軍の前に為す術もなく全滅。
Although a few friendly forces arrived on the surface of the Earth, they were completely annihilated before the overwhelming enemy forces.

迫り来る冷たい敵を前に、人類は絶滅の淵に立たされようとしていた。
As their ice-cold enemies approached, the entire human race was forced to stand on the precipice of extinction.

【ヨルハ】YoRHa
対機械生命体用に開発された自動歩兵人形。
Automatic humanoid soldier androids developed to combat the mechanical life forms.

YoRHa No2: Healer (Re-Assessing)
YoRHa No4: Executer (Seriously Injured)
YoRHa No9: Scanner (Deported)

YoRHa No11: Defender (Deployed)
YoRHa No12: Sniper (Deployed)
YoRHa No13: Attacker (Deployed)

SCHeDuLe
2013.6.28 Akihabara Dearstage Reboot MTG #1
2013.3.8 Akihabara Dearstage Strategy MTG #4
2012.12.13 Akihabara Dearstage Strategy MTG #3
2012.9.27 Akihabara Dearstage Strategy MTG #2
2012.7.13 Akihabara Dearstage Strategy MTG #1
2012.5.27 Shibuya WWW First ACT

Now take this new information about this very distant future in which the world is conquered by robotic life forms...humans are nearly completely wiped out...and their only means of survival is to create other androids in which to combat the machines and reclaim the planet...

Is this a completely separate story from the world of DOD & Nier? Perhaps. It seems like YoRHa has been around at least for the past two years or so...but then again, this could also have been around the time when DOD3 was entering development (how long does it take to begin working on a game...?), so it all still could be the concoction of the DOD team. It's an interesting thought, but I am also skeptical on this because the group has their own performances in the fashion/indies music front in Akihabara, unattached or unaided by anything related to MONACA or the game series.

Could the overall view or the "Big Picture" of the DOD world actually be from the perspective of the real humans who were nearly exterminated and yet cannot defeat the machines... Their only chance at survival was to send androids into the past to find a way to stop the machines from coming to be in the first place??

Hmm, pretty far out there, but it's hard not to imagine the possible connections. It's still very unclear whether there is a firm connection between YoRHa & the story of DOD/Nier. If the track is a secret data file on the game itself, it could have been placed there as a nice shout-out to the group for participating on the soundtrack. Kinda sad if that's all it is...but...

What do you think?

----------------------------------------------------
* Read more on the Invasion of Normandy/D-Day and the Guadalcanal Campaign here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasio...on_of_Normandy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalc...canal_Campaign
----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Rekka Alexiel; Jan 28, 2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:41 AM

I think it's coincidental. YoRHa's band formation and DOD3 development might have happened around the same time, but it's not related. The band has a back story and a fictional universe to explain their style, but I don't think it's related to DOD/NieR lore in any way. It's just their image, style, you know, just to be cool.
Oh and by the way I haven't played DOD3 and don't know the plot or anything, so no idea if there are any robots threatening humans existence.
Not even sure if I should ask, would be major spoilers.

On YoRHa's website says birthday May 27, 2012, so that's a year and half ago, and DOD3 was revealed early in 2013 which was reportedly 60% complete at the time, so to guesstimate - it was probably in active development for 2 years or a little less. But any idea when YoRHa released their CD? Maybe Keiichi Okabe stumbled upon the CD and thought: "oh shit! this is good stuff, we gotta put this in the game!"
And so the girls were invites to work on the project...

Good catch about "Accord Battle" track. The fact that it was named MUSIC_BOSS_BXAA (pic) and there are 3 variations of it, just like the other Boss tracks, makes me think that it was already prepared and meant to be used in the game at some point. But for what ever reason the track was left unused. If it did get used, it would be like a licensed track from YoRHa's album. Just like other games have licensed tracks from various artists.
As the person who ripped the hidden track said on their blog - the track was hidden in textures archive. Any game usually has left over data, for example there are likely to be some unused textures in that same archive that you'll never see in the actual game.

Overall - would be cool if there was a connection, but I doubt there is.

A side note:
If there was no indication that the hidden track is present on YoRHa's album, then it wouldn't even be a licensed track, it could be just something made during production of the game, during their collaboration with Keiichi Okabe, but since the track is called "Normandy" on their Soundcloud and the name of the album is Normandy/Guadalcanal, then I guess it is directly related to the album.

Is there any more info on when exactly CD came out or what's on it?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLO View Post
I think it's coincidental. YoRHa's band formation and DOD3 development might have happened around the same time, but it's not related. The band has a back story and a fictional universe to explain their style, but I don't think it's related to DOD/NieR lore in any way. It's just their image, style, you know, just to be cool.
Oh and by the way I haven't played DOD3 and don't know the plot or anything, so no idea if there are any robots threatening humans existence.
Not even sure if I should ask, would be major spoilers.
There is no direct connection to the game, even given this back store with YoRHa. Don't worry.

Quote:
On YoRHa's website says birthday May 27, 2012, so that's a year and half ago, and DOD3 was revealed early in 2013 which was reportedly 60% complete at the time, so to guesstimate - it was probably in active development for 2 years or a little less. But any idea when YoRHa released their CD? Maybe Keiichi Okabe stumbled upon the CD and thought: "oh shit! this is good stuff, we gotta put this in the game!"
And so the girls were invites to work on the project... Is there any more info on when exactly CD came out or what's on it?
There's no date listed on the YoRHa Web site or e-store, but I ordered the CD yesterday, so I hope it will arrive soon, maybe early next week. The style sounds very similar to the other boss battles (except for the voice overs), but you're certainly right. This track could have been what introduced the MONACA guys to their sound, and initially got them interested in having them perform for the boss battle tracks.

Quote:
Overall - would be cool if there was a connection, but I doubt there is.
I am also of this thinking. I don't believe there is any story connection between the back story for YoRHa and DOD/Nier. There are simply too many factors that go against this theory. It was just interesting to see how easily this misunderstanding was taken at its full value without the slightest bit of doubt. :P
Old Jan 29, 2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekka Alexiel View Post
There's no date listed on the YoRHa Web site or e-store, but I ordered the CD yesterday, so I hope it will arrive soon, maybe early next week. The style sounds very similar to the other boss battles (except for the voice overs), but you're certainly right. This track could have been what introduced the MONACA guys to their sound, and initially got them interested in having them perform for the boss battle tracks.
Would be nice to find out more about the CD. Please post your impressions when it arrives. Maybe I'll order one too.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Would be nice to find out more about the CD. Please post your impressions when it arrives. Maybe I'll order one too.
Will do! In the meantime, I heard back from Okabe Keiichi on whether or not MONACA had its hand in the composition of YoRHa's album and this is what he said...

He basically said that they did indeed compose the music for them, but as to why that track would secretively make its way into the data of the game...? Maybe it was a programmer's mistake? lol
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:57 PM

I don't think it was a mistake, unless the programmer made the same mistake 3 times. Once again the pic of what the track looks like (in data files):
Spoiler:
It has 3 variations including a "SKIP" form, just like the other BOSS Battle themes, here's example pic:
Spoiler:
SKIP variant is when there's no voice in the beginning of the track, it just goes directly to music. That means that variant was edited before being coded in the same format as the rest of the tracks. So the track was worked on, and it wasn't a simple drag&drop mistake. It was probably in game's data because they were going to use it, but ended up not doing so. Who knows how many other tracks were composed but not included. Every game has cut content and left over data.
And now we know that MONACA did in fact collaborate on that particular track with YoRHa, so the track wasn't there just as "kudos" for the band.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
So the track was worked on, and it wasn't a simple drag&drop mistake. It was probably in game's data because they were going to use it, but ended up not doing so. Who knows how many other tracks were composed but not included. Every game has cut content and left over data.
And now we know that MONACA did in fact collaborate on that particular track with YoRHa, so the track wasn't there just as "kudos" for the band.
I know, it was just a joke. I wouldn't think programmers would put unnecessary data in the game data without a purpose, whether it later gets cut and remains unused or not. Simply, we don't know the purpose of this track. It shall remain a mystery...for now.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 07:40 AM

I just have a question is the music catchy and melodic since I've never heard a drag on dragoon OST before.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andvari View Post
I just have a question is the music catchy and melodic since I've never heard a drag on dragoon OST before.
The MONACA team are musical gods. There is no need to know anything about any soundtrack they've been accredited for. Just get it. As much as you can. It's all good. xD
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:19 AM

Default YoRHa - "Normandy"

I just got the YoRHa CD today...and there's something very, very interesting in these credits. Can you find what I'm referring to?

“Normandy”
Composed and Arranged by: Okabe Keiichi (MONACA)
Lyrics by: YoRHa HQ

Recording: Okabe Keiichi (MONACA) / Takahashi Kuniyuki (MONACA)
Mastering Engineer: Yanagi Eiichiro
Photographer: Yamagishi Daisuke
Design: Bozo
Label Staff: kussuu / Bozo / Ise Kaoru
Creative Director: Yoko Taro

“YoRHa” performed by: Tamaki / Eri / Yuna
Choreographer: Yumiko

Executive Producer: Mofuku-chan

Okay, I am thoroughly intrigued!!

I included the Japanese, Romaji, and English translation of the song on the page below.

http://drakengard-3.com/blog/2014/02...rmandy-lyrics/
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:30 PM

Well, I've managed to wrestle with my copyright demon stipulating that I should not a track that was purchased... but according to this page, I have done all the the points that say a copyrighted work could be used without infringing on the copyright holder:

√ Given credit to the copyright owner
√ Refrained from monetizing the infringing video
√ Noticed similar videos that appear on YouTube
√ Purchased the content on iTunes, a CD, or DVD
√ Recorded the content yourself from TV, a movie theater, or the radio
√ Stated that “no copyright infringement is intended”

http://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/...copyright.html

Sorry to go on about that but it's a huge "pet peeve" or "fear" that I have. Yes, a slight paranoia. It is what it is. :P

Anyway, with that said, I can now share with you the full tracks from the YoRHa CD. The video is simply an image of the front cover of the booklet (the CD is taped to the last page in the booklet). Enjoy!! My favorite of the two is Guadalcanal.

YoRHa - Normandy
http://youtu.be/wVOrxrm_9Fk

YoRHa - Guadalcanal
http://youtu.be/0fGH_2tF2uQ
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:29 PM

Thanks Rekka, and congrats on overcoming your demons. Though personally for me a verbal confirmation that the tracks are in DOD3 vein would be good enough, but being able to check them out in full length is definitely cool.

The price is a bit higher then normally should be for a two-track CD, but it's still a buy for me.

Think I like both tracks equally.

Oh and that other thing about the credits you were referring to is probably Yoko Taro. So he is a creative director for them... well that means that I have to put them on my shit list

Nah, it means they are now something to keep an eye on. Besides MONACA is involved. So yeah.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Oh and that other thing about the credits you were referring to is probably Yoko Taro. So he is a creative director for them... well that means that I have to put them on my shit list
Nah, it means they are now something to keep an eye on. Besides MONACA is involved. So yeah.
heehee, yip, that was it. I could see MONACA doing other projects outside of gaming, since they have actually done more work for anime than the other, but Yoko Taro!? I totally want to ask him about it now. xP
Old Feb 5, 2014, 08:05 AM
Trusted Editor

On disc 2, track 7, the arranger credit is missing. Is this intentionally (in sync with the booklet) or an error?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:03 PM

Track 7 is arranged by Kakeru Ishihama according to booklet, so I added a correction for that. Must have been previously overlooked.
Old May 6, 2014, 08:39 AM

The official English website now has track names. Many are not translations, so I guess it is worth keeping the translated titles as well?
Old May 8, 2014, 09:11 AM

is this a complete Soundtrack, or are some Songs not on the ost? beside this hidden track i mean.
Old May 8, 2014, 09:14 PM

The DLC tracks are not on this OST. Hopefully Square might release this in an additional album similar to the Nier Arrange Album.
Old May 8, 2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentis View Post
The DLC tracks are not on this OST. Hopefully Square might release this in an additional album similar to the Nier Arrange Album.
, i hope that too. and thx for the aswer.
Old May 23, 2014, 01:03 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvng View Post
The official English website now has track names. Many are not translations, so I guess it is worth keeping the translated titles as well?
I think the official tracklist is excellent and much closer to the original actually.
The original JP tracklist sticks two kanji/concepts to make new pseudo-words (most aren't "normal", translatable words) as titles.
The alt translations miss this I think, trying to make more sense of the names and often going astray, while the official English keeps this peculiar style of mixing two words and works much better IMO.
Old May 23, 2014, 01:19 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Wow, the official translation is inspiring.
Old May 23, 2014, 02:51 PM

So... Taro said in interviews that he asked for something different from NIER. And Okabe confirmed he was asked for something different than NIER.

IT SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE NIER.

God, why is this man's music praised so?
Old May 24, 2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
I think the official tracklist is excellent and much closer to the original actually.
The original JP tracklist sticks two kanji/concepts to make new pseudo-words (most aren't "normal", translatable words) as titles.
The alt translations miss this I think, trying to make more sense of the names and often going astray, while the official English keeps this peculiar style of mixing two words and works much better IMO.
I was thinking the same thing as well. I don't even think we need 2 alternate translations, since they aren't very useful now that the official track list has been released.

Also, looking at Rekka's website I noticed that a Piano Score book will be released.
http://drakengard-3.com/blog/2014/04...k-piano-score/
Could this mean that they will follow up with a CD like they did with NiER?
Old May 24, 2014, 01:30 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
IT SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE NIER.
I don't think it sounds like Nier. In Drakengard 3, disc 1 is just uninspired fast-paced synthetic orchestral music with some quiet tracks. Disc 2 is like one big, never-ending electro/rock track, not so much more inspired, with two good songs at the end.

Nier had a lighter, more exotic and diverse soundtrack with some good ideas.
Old May 24, 2014, 07:03 PM

I like the two major sounds they went for, but agree it's too repetitive. Although I'm fairly satisfied with it, I also see why some would think the music lacks artistic substance.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xakdrek View Post
I was thinking the same thing as well. I don't even think we need 2 alternate translations, since they aren't very useful now that the official track list has been released.

Also, looking at Rekka's website I noticed that a Piano Score book will be released.
http://drakengard-3.com/blog/2014/04...k-piano-score/
Could this mean that they will follow up with a CD like they did with NiER?
The CD releases are released for "Piano Collections" (Intermediate to Advanced arrangements), which are different from these releases (Beginner to Intermediate). It is possible that a PC will be released for DOD3 but it has not been announced yet, and if so it will likely be after the DLC album (which will hopefully happen...).
Old Jul 5, 2014, 12:48 AM

I've posted about the official English track titles and the research I did on the prefixes and suffixes as you can see from the link below, but here's a brief recap.

http://drakengard-3.com/blog/2014/01...es-and-lyrics/

Personally, I didn't much care for the "official" titles. The original Japanese, although they are made-up words, it doesn't take much time or effort to understand the meaning. The official English titles are also made-up words which is very nice, but it takes much more time and research to ascertain any meaning to them, especially when they are splicing bits and pieces of words from multiple languages.

This is not the case with the Japanese. It is not as taxing to read and get the meaning because Kanji is easy once you have them memorized, even though one might not know how to pronounce it.

My second gripe with this is that I don't believe it was really necessary, like they were trying to be a little too ambitious at the expense of meaning.

Something else to note here is that there was *no* English equivalent to the original Japanese themes. Before the OST had been released in Japan, I had asked Okabe Keiichi via Twitter in the past if he knew whether or not it would be released along with corresponding English. He responded and said that as far as he could remember, there was no English in it. That being said, whatever titles were given to these tracks, they were not penned by the composers nor anyone related to the development of the game. This was purely a localization project.

But of course, there will always be people on both sides. It doesn't much matter in the end, really. The music should speak for itself.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 02:36 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I think the JP names seem mostly to be "cool" rather than having any deep meaning, so I was gladly surprised the US names followed suit.

I do agree without looking at the kanji some names are a bit hard to figure out but that's part of the charm I guess.

(btw, corroscience > from corrosion/侵蝕)
Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
(btw, corroscience > from corrosion/侵蝕)
Nice one! I think I'm just too impatient and want to understand what the freak it means NOW. Without research. haha
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:38 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The official English tracklist is pretty good ... but I got beef with the song title "Strumble."

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=strumble

"did you mean: stumble"?

EDIT

---
Irrelevant to above post, but didn't wanna dubble-post. I see there be no packaging scans. I rectify this now. DOUBLE-EDIT -- Done!

Last edited by Ramza; Aug 18, 2014 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Scan announcement.