VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 9, 2013, 09:46 AM

Post HELP NEEDED: Building the ultimate Spotify Video Game Playlist

I am new to the community and I am blown away by the level of commitment you guys have put into maintaining such a comprehensive database and community. As my first post to the forum, I wanted to share a playlist with you all that I have been building on Spotify. I am in the process of creating the definitive video game music playlist that contains any and every video game track available on Spotify. So far I have close to 7,000 tracks, but I know there are thousands more to be added. I've hit all the big name labels I can think of (EA, Sumthing, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Sony, etc.) and most big title games were easy to find. Feel free to listen to it, but what I'd love is if you guys/gals can help me add to it. I want this playlist to have literally every video game soundtrack that Spotify has available (indie games included), and I know there are much more out there. If you're on Spotify, you can find the playlist here: http://spoti.fi/12fBxWc

I've made the playlist collaborative, but you may have to follow it in order to contribute to it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to contribute.

EDIT: If you use the desktop spotify app, I find it helps to sort this playlist by album title or using the filter feature (Ctrl+F/Cmnd+F) to find a specific album you're looking for. On the web and mobile apps, no such sorting or filtering is available.

Last edited by travis_s; Jul 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:49 PM
Trusted Editor

wait, Spotify has VGM tracks? I've only seen one Mitsuda album, and the rest are the boring symphonic covers of Halo or Hollywood type stuff.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 03:29 PM

If by "Hollywood type stuff" you are referring to the cinematic scores like the Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty stuff, then you are correct there is plenty of that on Spotify. But I am finding a great deal of soundtracks on here that or from lesser known publishers and even some indie game soundtracks. There are some great VGM tracks on Spotify (games like FTL, Neotokyo, or even the classic Myst). If you are wondering about Japanese titles, I'm not so sure as that is not my preference.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 03:31 PM

However I would love someone more versed in foreign games to add any you can find on Spotify. As I said, I want this to be the definitive list of any and every VGM track on Spotify.

Last edited by travis_s; Jul 9, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:02 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I can't open the playlist :S

I remember there being some Motoi Sakuraba solo albums and Konami stuff (ex. Silent Hill)
Old Jul 11, 2013, 02:33 PM

Try searching "vgost" into the Spotify search bar. My playlist should be the only listing for that search term. Let me know if that works!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:45 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_s View Post
If by "Hollywood type stuff" you are referring to the cinematic scores like the Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty stuff, then you are correct there is plenty of that on Spotify.
AC scores with Kyd as the only composer weren't your typical cinematic stuff at all (in my opinion). Well, maybe a little with ACB (Track "Brotherhood Escapes" comes to mind but I love that one too). Was all about the atmosphere. And that was gone completely when Balfe took over in AC3. I'm very curious to see what will Tyler do for AC Black Flag though.

Anyways, it's all about personal preference as always. Welcome to VGMdb, travis_s!

Last edited by Efendija; Jul 11, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:58 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_s View Post
If by "Hollywood type stuff" you are referring to the cinematic scores like the Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty stuff, then you are correct there is plenty of that on Spotify.
That's exactly what I mean. :P

I'm way more of a fan for the Japanese stuff than the cinematic Hollywood stuff, but that's just my preference. I rarely use Spotify, but we can collaboratively add albums to the playlist?

PS, I can't find the playlist using spotify, the only way it shows up is the link you posted.

Last edited by dissident93; Jul 11, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 04:07 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I don't have access to spotify myself...
My question is, can we buy the albums you'r linking on "available at" ?
Ex for Portal 2 Soundtrack: Spotify link

If it's streaming only, then such links should not be posted on "available at".
Old Jul 12, 2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
If it's streaming only, then such links should not be posted on "available at".
You're correct, Spotify is streaming only. Where in a VGMdb entry should a streaming link be posted? I will go back and fix the entries where I've added Spotify links.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
AC scores with Kyd as the only composer weren't your typical cinematic stuff at all (in my opinion).
I agree with you here completely with regard to some of Kyd's work. His Hitman: Blood Money score was actually my introduction to video game music and to this day is still one of my all time favorite VGM albums, and that stuff is almost downtempo at times. But I do feel that some of his work for the AC franchise are pretty Hollywood, but I am also guilty of listening to only a handful of AC tracks and thus dismissing the rest of the album as being similar. I'm sure there are some great hidden gems somewhere in the 50+ tracks he's contributed to the game.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:23 AM
VGMdb Staff

Just to be precise, I think Kyd has 99 tracks (interesting number) for AC series on official scores (all AC1, AC2, ACB and part from ACR). Majority is ambience, then fighting tracks and the smallest number is for game cinematics so that's why I think he's built the AC atmosphere (untill AC3) in a very unique, effective way (in music sense of course). So many "magical moments" for me when playing the games - AC2: main character is on a random Venetian roof, night, moon, gondola passing below and track "Sanctuary" playing... Holy shit...........
If you can, I really recommend AC2 score in its entirety (it's the best AC score anyway imho) to get a better feel of Kyd's AC soundscape.

Now, about the Spotify links, it's unavailable for me too... However, being a commercial streaming only service I can't really say if it's desirable or not to leave Spotify links on VGMdb pages. (certainly not under 'available at' - that's reserved only for sites you can buy the album directly - if it's a digital release, available at link is where you buy it and download it, streaming only is out of question)

Secret Squirrel or Gigablah will probably give a definitive answer about it.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
If you can, I really recommend AC2 score in its entirety (it's the best AC score anyway imho) to get a better feel of Kyd's AC soundscape.
I will definitely check this out. Will have to look elsewhere for it as Spotify does not seem to have it.

Quote:
However, being a commercial streaming only service I can't really say if it's desirable or not to leave Spotify links on VGMdb pages.
I can agree with you guys on not listing it under "Available At" now that it has been explained to me that that section is strictly for sites offering the album for purchase. I guess Spotify is a bit of a grey area because it is a free service to the vast majority of users; I'm sure only a small fraction of Spotify users upgrade to the $9.99/month membership. So for now, I will take down the Spotify links for the few albums I've added them to until we hear a definitive answer from the users you mentioned. I do however feel that for those who are on Spotify, the information is useful for those wondering if the album is available for streaming via a completely legal and legitimate platform like Spotify.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:22 AM

So it would appear that i cannot remove links. Perhaps this is something junior member is restricted from doing, or I'm just not sure how to do it. Here is a list of the 3 albums I added Spotify links to:

Neotokyo
FTL
Ecstasy of Order

If any staff member feels it is necessary to remove them please do so.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:48 AM
VGMdb Advisor

AC1's Access the Animus is the best :3

I was able to load the playlist today (it wasn't showing before, maybe they are tweaking things?).

Can't think of much to contribute ATM save Sakuraba (What's Up, Gikyokuonsou) and Mitsuda (An Cinniuint, Hako no Niwa) stuff tho.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 06:57 AM

For those interested, I've been required to make a 2nd playlist as Spotify only allows 10,000 songs per playlist. Here's the link: click me

Tags
playlist, spotify