VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 26, 2015, 04:46 PM

Default Calling VGM fans - trying to find a (sad) VGM tune from childhood...

Hi all,

I am searching for a piece of music that was used in a particular show that was part of my childhood. As I have already searched some anime and film soundtracks and did not find it at all, I am resorting to here to see if it is a VGM tune.

The supposed VGM sounds like it came from a JRPG; it is reminiscent of "Be Absentminded" from "Tales of Phantasia" as well as some music from "Xenoblade Chronicles" where the melodies are very strong. The time frame is somewhere in-between the 16-bit and 32-bit eras (1987~1997 in my case as the show first aired near the end of 1997). It's very likely that it's Red Book audo from a game CD or an original/arrangement CD soundtrack, so game systems that come to mind are Neo Geo CD, Sega Saturn and PS1. The VGM however does sound like a SNES chiptune. It also sounds a bit like new age music (e.g. Himekami, S.E.N.S.) and some works from Michiaki Watanabe.

I know that this is a search for a pin in the needle sack, but if anyone has a suggestion that fits what I have described, please feel welcome to post below. I don't mind listening to new VGMs so if you really want to post VGM suggestions for a different emotion, feel free to do that also.

Thanks in advance,
iPod_demon
Old Mar 27, 2015, 09:38 AM

You need to give more pointers regarding the music itself where possible. How long is it? What is its development? Which instruments are used? etc.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 03:29 PM

Hi Datschge,

thanks for replying, I've seen the show once only when it aired and it was released in very limited numbers on VHS; it's practically not obtainable now because it was a "warehoused" series meaning that it didn't have replays or air on prime time after production. I'm trying to be as helpful as I can but I'm not a musical person so that's all the information I have about the VGM.

The melody is lead by flute with acoustic guitar backing.

Currently I'm listening to works composed by Falcom Team j.d.k.

"Be Absentminded" actually reminded me of the VGM that I'm looking for so I'd assume that it sounds very similar to it.

Tags
music, vgm