VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:40 AM

Probably canceling my CE PS4 copy and buying this instead.

Arrangement disc! Aaaaa! So long overdue, even if it's only EP length. There's this beautiful medley they've been performing at New World FF shows for the HD Remaster; I'm hoping for more of the same, but better.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerG View Post
Arrangement disc! Aaaaa! So long overdue, even if it's only EP length. There's this beautiful medley they've been performing at New World FF shows for the HD Remaster; I'm hoping for more of the same, but better.
For the record, that medley ("Ivalice Landscapes") was originally commissioned by Wayô Records specifically for Hitoshi Sakimoto's tribute concert in Paris, "Vagrantes Mélodies", in October 2013. It was arranged by Tsutomu Narita. Then, a shortened version (the original was over 10-minute long) was prepared for the very first A New World concert in Paris, since Wayô was organizing it and Sakimoto was a guest, and Arnie Roth has been using it at other ANW concerts ever since. The point is: this medley is not an official piece by Square Enix, so I don't really think it's the direction they're taking with this arranged album (but who knows).
Old Apr 15, 2017, 01:44 AM

How much this music is being arranged is somewhat unclear to me. Samples indicate there's still a great deal of synth in use (especially for the brass). The string section sounds real in some pieces and not in others.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
For the record, that medley ("Ivalice Landscapes") was originally commissioned by Wayô Records specifically for Hitoshi Sakimoto's tribute concert in Paris, "Vagrantes Mélodies", in October 2013. It was arranged by Tsutomu Narita. Then, a shortened version (the original was over 10-minute long) was prepared for the very first A New World concert in Paris, since Wayô was organizing it and Sakimoto was a guest, and Arnie Roth has been using it at other ANW concerts ever since. The point is: this medley is not an official piece by Square Enix, so I don't really think it's the direction they're taking with this arranged album (but who knows).
Thanks for the clarification. I suppose I could have just asked Roth himself about it, but I didn't for whatever reason. I like Sakimoto and his regular collaborators' works, but I don't necessarily keep up with it the way I do with say, Hamauzu. That's really neat though.

I sorta miss the days of OST + Piano Collection + Arrange Record. Since XII only got its two singles originally and then later a PC for the 25th anniversary, it's nice we're getting more FFXII music years later.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 05:13 AM

I'm considering a purchase again, but also wondering how to put the files on my mp3 player. I don't have a Blu-ray ripper. RPG Fan says "The disk will also include MP3 files, so you can listen on the go" refering to the one that will come with the LE, but still...
I love this OST that much and I have the original LE
Old Apr 20, 2017, 04:30 AM
Trusted Editor

Buy a BD drive, they are cheap as dirt these days.
Old May 2, 2017, 04:25 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The tracklist is online:

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/s.../ff12/tza_ost/

There's an extra track that will be revealed later.
As expected, there are 8 new tracks. Also, "Kiss Me Goodbye" is missing (maybe related to the extra track, who knows).
Old May 2, 2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzito View Post
I'm considering a purchase again, but also wondering how to put the files on my mp3 player. I don't have a Blu-ray ripper.
You can also use a PS3 or PS4 to copy the mp3 files from the bluray disc to PC.
Old May 2, 2017, 02:29 PM

That Dalmasca Estersand sample is a noted improvement over the original, for sure.
Old May 3, 2017, 01:48 AM

Quote:
There's an extra track that will be revealed later.
It'd be great if this turns out to be Hope in full, or newly orchestrated.

Quote:
Also, "Kiss Me Goodbye" is missing
Yay! Of course the ending pop song is common practice, but I always found this track particularly unfitting and unwelcome in FFXII.
Old May 3, 2017, 02:43 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by student41269 View Post
Yay! Of course the ending pop song is common practice, but I always found this track particularly unfitting and unwelcome in FFXII.
To think it was supposed to be in the Final Fantasy movie (Spirits Within)...
Old May 3, 2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
To think it was supposed to be in the Final Fantasy movie (Spirits Within)...
Was it really?
Old May 3, 2017, 10:06 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
Was it really?
Yes, the anecdote was shared by Uematsu recently. He originally wrote the song for Spirits Within, and he asked translator Alex O. Smith to deliver it to Sakaguchi, but Smith actually totally forgot to do it, and so it never happened. A few years later, when Uematsu was asked to write the theme song for FFXII, he wrote a first theme but wasn't satisfied with it, and so he decided to recycle that other song instead.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, the anecdote was shared by Uematsu recently. He originally wrote the song for Spirits Within, and he asked translator Alex O. Smith to deliver it to Sakaguchi, but Smith actually totally forgot to do it, and so it never happened. A few years later, when Uematsu was asked to write the theme song for FFXII, he wrote a first theme but wasn't satisfied with it, and so he decided to recycle that other song instead.
That's very interesting! Never knew "Kiss Me Goodbye" was written that long ago. I wonder how his first song sounded like... maybe FFXIV's "Answers" is the recycled version of THAT one
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1234 View Post
That Dalmasca Estersand sample is a noted improvement over the original, for sure.
I'm on the fence about this new one, though it's still better than that clumsy arrangement on Distant Worlds IV.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteLectro View Post
I'm on the fence about this new one, though it's still better than that clumsy arrangement on Distant Worlds IV.
I've heard most of the new tracks at this point. Some of them are disappointing, some of them are pretty great. My big complaint is that they chose not to hire a brass section and the samples they're using sound like they were taken from the original soundtrack when much better ones are available. They tend to clash with the live elements. Most of the battle tracks are afflicted in this way. The horns in particular sound constipated.

In contrast, the pieces that stick to the strings and woodwind soloists sound gorgeous. I just wish they had the budget to really go all out on this music.

(The percussion and chorus are also clearly sampled and sound similar to the original FFXII soundtrack.)
Old Jul 16, 2017, 02:37 PM

I feel what you're saying.

I've just finished listening to almost all of the samples. That's not enough to confidently make my mind up about the whole thing, so these are just my first impressions, but one thing is clear to me: I vastly prefer the 2006 versions, I didn't once feel that a new track was obviously better than its old counterpart.

It feels like the instruments don't quite blend together into a cohesive whole, some instruments stick out ("Look at me, it's my turn now!"), some fumble around ("I almost played all the notes!"), the balances are messed up, in many tracks the instruments that used to provide the main melody in the original tracks are now largely smothered by other instruments that should be more in the background; it sounds like the mixing is not finished. As if Sakimoto was eager to make some kind of statement and lost much of the subtlety along the way. In contrast, the 2006 tracks feel like they were refined to near-perfection.

I like some of the brand new tracks, though.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 06:30 PM

Yeah, it feels like a rush job. I think if there was more time (and money, I'm betting), they could have really refined these performances. As it is, I still prefer most of them because those live strings are always going to sound better than the sampled versions. But it could have been even better.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 06:15 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1234 View Post
I just wish they had the budget to really go all out on this music.
They did have the budget but they blew it all on an unnecessary 54-piece string ensemble in Boston. They could easily hired less strings and more brass/winds. They also could have saved money by recording domestically. Unfortunately they did neither of those things.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
They did have the budget but they blew it all on an unnecessary 54-piece string ensemble in Boston. They could easily hired less strings and more brass/winds. They also could have saved money by recording domestically. Unfortunately they did neither of those things.
On one hand, I like the thicker sound of the large string ensemble. But yeah, they could have cut it down to say, 40 and fattened up the other sections. And like Dante pointed out, a lot of the mixing sounds half-assed. A shame.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 04:58 PM

I've enjoyed most of what I've heard in-game so far (just finished Tomb of Raithwall). The soloists are a nice touch. Only a few tracks feel changed in the wrong way. The boss theme seems weaker. There's one part in Giza Plains which sounds like a wrong note (or bad mixing), and later there's a short trombone figure that has been slightly changed.

I love Barheim Passage. The piccolo is beautiful.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:00 PM

So by the looks of the scans there are no specific arranger or orchestrator credits?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 04:31 PM
VGMdb Staff

Sakimoto arranged everything except for the two tracks by Iwata (72, 86) and three by Matsuo (22, 44, 45 - uncredited). But yeah, no orchestration credits.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Sakimoto arranged everything except for the two tracks by Iwata (72, 86) and three by Matsuo (22, 44, 45 - uncredited). But yeah, no orchestration credits.
I was really hoping Matsuo would be directly involved. This project would have been a perfect fit for him. Missed opportunity!

Also, I'd like to comment how much the live trumpet adds to Sakimoto's work here. The brass samples he usually uses are way too... well, brassy. Brass players don't really play the way he sequences melodic lines.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Sakimoto arranged everything except for the two tracks by Iwata (72, 86) and three by Matsuo (22, 44, 45 - uncredited).
Please add that to the notes, it's useful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
The brass samples [Sakimoto] usually uses are way too... well, brassy. Brass players don't really play the way he sequences melodic lines.
Part of his signature style.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks nextday.

Matsuo was uncredited for his tracks in Tactics Ogre as well for some reason. Very sad he does not make a return to XII.

Matsuo was arranger and orchestrator for the Opening and Ending Themes (I read in an interview that he composed segments of both of these tracks as well) and both these tracks sound like the original performances from the previous soundtrack. Matsuo composed 22, 44, 45, 62, 81, 82 based on the previous ost's credits.

Original performers for the Opening and Ending are listed as:

Piano: Masato Matsuda
Percussion: Midori Takada, Tomoko Kusakari, Marie Oishi
Trumpet: Kazuya Honma Group
Trombone: Osamu Matsumoto Group
Horn: Hiroyuki Minami Group
Tuba: Kiyoshi Sato
Flute: Takashi Asahi, Yoshio Kizu
Oboe: Satoshi Shoji, Keiko Narita
Clarinet: Tadashi Hoshino, Satoshi Kobayashi
Faggoto: Josuke Ohata
Strings: Masatsugu Shinozaki Group
Harp: Tomoyuki Asakawa
Conductor: Koji Haishima

If they are still relevant to this performance.

Last edited by Argentis; Feb 28, 2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentis View Post

Matsuo was arranger and orchestrator for the Opening and Ending Themes (I read in an interview that he composed segments of both of these tracks as well)
Wait, he composed part of the ending theme too? I just knew about the middle of the opening theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteLectro View Post
Part of his signature style.
Ha, yeah, I suppose it is. But it only started when he got samples that sounded that way! It was around the time of BoFV.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Iwata (72, 86) and three by Matsuo (22, 44, 45 - uncredited)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentis View Post
Matsuo composed 22, 44, 55, 62, 81, 82 based on the previous ost's credits.
Argentis, I think you made a mistake here and in the notes: you credited Matsuo with 55 "Jahara - Land of the Garif" (actually Sakimoto) instead of 45 "Defying the Empire".
I've edited the notes.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:30 AM

I wonder how much "The Mystery of Giruvegan" (Giruvegan 'ramps') and "To Walk Amongst Gods" (Giruvegan crystal labyrinth theme) were arranged for this release, as the original ones sound (to me) perfect the way they are, just like some other tracks without drums here and there IMO.

I hope they included the correct "pitch" for "Ozmone Plain" on this one too, as in the original LE I had to use a music editor in order to achieve the American version "pitch".

Last edited by franzito; Jul 22, 2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Wait, he composed part of the ending theme too? I just knew about the middle of the opening theme.
Here's the interview section:
"The opening and ending themes of Final Fantasy XII were meticulously composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto. He brought the scores to me in a form that were very close to those eventually performed. The only things I had to do were make sure the orchestrations were playable and synched to the picture. In the latter role, I probably had the most creative influence, since I received the opportunity to compose a new section for the opening theme."

So it is just the opening theme.