VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:43 AM

I gotta say, I found it hilarious that the Western names were written Japanese-style. For example, "Sousa John Philip".

I corrected two of the credits. It said "Panzerlied" was written by someone named Adolf Hoffmann when Wikipedia says it was Oberleutnant Kurt Wiehle, and as far as I can tell William Steffe's name did not include a John anywhere. I noted the original crediting in brackets next to the proper names.

(Sorry for so many edits in such short order. After I submitted I kept noticing new things )

Last edited by _if; Feb 14, 2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:04 AM

makes me remember, note for nextday
http://girls-und-panzer.jp/chara_kachusya.html
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:35 AM
VGMdb Staff

Hmm, I'm not sure what's correct. The information seems to vary from source to source but here's what I have found so far:

For Panzerlied, I looked into it seems to me that Kurt Wiehle is credited for lyrics and Adolf Hoffmann is credited for arrangement but the composition is traditional.

For Steffe, there's some accounts of the song being composed by a William Steffe from Philadelphia, PA and other accounts of it being composed by a John William Steffe from Richmond, VA.

@Phono: Yeah, they actually have it in the original Russian in the booklet (Катю́ша).

Last edited by cal; Feb 14, 2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post

@Phono: Yeah, they actually have it in the original Russian in the booklet (Катю́ша).
I don't know why you tell me that, because I just pointed the fact the site use Kachusya and you edited for changing to some whatever romaji gone out from nowhere
and saying they put russian (with furigana you didn't mention) in the booklet has no interest since it's not a "latin" reading

I guess you didn't get why I posted, hoping you now are
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:13 AM
VGMdb Staff

Katyusha is a correct romanized form (of the original Cyrillic). It's a Russian variant of Catherine - Екатерина.
Being a foreign name variant, it should override furigana approximation given for Japanese audience.

Last edited by Efendija; Feb 14, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:16 AM
VGMdb Staff

I still don't get what you're trying to say. Are you trying to say that Kachusya is correct because it's on the website?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:59 AM

you see you understood
however I don't say Kachusya is more correct, just it's sorta official reading used for the anime
it's common to see bad readings or strange readings for foreign words (i.e. non-japanese)
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:08 AM
VGMdb Staff

Foreign name is still foreign, plus here Cyrillic original is present in the booklet to help things. Don't care about the sorta official website reading in this case.

Random example - name Slavek is スワベック for the Japanese. However, that doesn't mean it should become Suwabekku when returned to alphabet.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
For Panzerlied, I looked into it seems to me that Kurt Wiehle is credited for lyrics and Adolf Hoffmann is credited for arrangement but the composition is traditional.
Yeah, a note could be made about the tune being traditional. Google doesn't turn up much about Hoffman and the song, just that it seems he was credited for arrangement of it for its appearance in the film The Battle of the Bulge. However, the movie's composer was Benjamin Frankel, so it's likely enough that the arrangement predates its appearance there and maybe Hoffmann is the original arranger. Perhaps someone else can turn up something more.

Quote:
For Steffe, there's some accounts of the song being composed by a William Steffe from Philadelphia, PA and other accounts of it being composed by a John William Steffe from Richmond, VA.
There are a few John William Steffe attributions when you Google, but much more for just William Steffe, and Wikipedia seems pretty confident it's the latter, though I don't have the books on hand to check the sources. Calling it his is probably being rather generous anyway, since it was also based on a traditional song.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:47 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
There are a few John William Steffe attributions when you Google, but much more for just William Steffe, and Wikipedia seems pretty confident it's the latter, though I don't have the books on hand to check the sources. Calling it his is probably being rather generous anyway, since it was also based on a traditional song.
I looked on Google Books and there are actually only a few that reference John William Steffe, and they are all 20th century. There's many for William Steffe, though, both 19th and 20th century.

And yeah, the story goes that he was simply asked by a company to write verses. Not really a composition credit.