VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 5, 2016, 09:16 PM

Any major differences between this album and the original print?
Old Aug 3, 2020, 06:20 AM

I would also like to know the same thing now 4 years later Does anyone know if the sound quality is different than on the original print?
Old Jan 21, 2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinHarmony View Post
I would also like to know the same thing now 4 years later Does anyone know if the sound quality is different than on the original print?
The songs definitely sound more full. In that not only are the louder and more clean, but I can also tell that the new disc here definitely uses some different drum kits. It sounds less "rave", I think.

While this release is definitely louder, it sounds more "compressed" also. I think I might prefer the dynamics of the original.

EDIT: http://newyokohama.thefacebook.us/f-a.mp3

First track is the 1992 release, second is the 2014 release

Last edited by newyokohama; Jan 21, 2021 at 06:52 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 07:22 PM

Hey thanks, I can't believe I missed your reply. Is this a loudness thing, like we've seen happening in other recent re-releases/re-recordings? I have doubts this is really a re-recording, possibly just tweaked. Just saying, I'm not a sound expert.

I would also tend to agree that the old track sounds better. I also swear the new track is slower...?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 08:11 PM

The old release used master recording, like most of the namco era sampling masters' stuff, this is recorded directly from the pcb.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 01:18 PM

I'm not gonna go through every track to compare, but I just loaded up "RAVE WAR" from the old and new CDs to compare and the old version is indeed faster, covering the same music in 3:07.728 as the new CD does in about 3:15.758, for a difference of a little over 4%. The old version is only about 2 dB quieter and I would agree that the newer one sounds fuller. It makes sense to me that the difference is primarily between the tracks recorded from the arcade PCB for the new CD compared to the old CD being taken from the composers' PCs or whatever. But I like the way that the tracks flow together on the old CD.

Last edited by _if; Jul 24, 2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 09:24 PM

I'm shocked that the tempo is different. If they recorded from a PCB (if they say so), then the correct speed has got to be on the new release.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 11:46 PM

It's not a matter of what is or isn't "correct." One is the original master, one is the final version that was programmed onto the PCB. We're lucky to have both.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 11:55 PM

Sure, it's just that imagine your favourite movie from 1992 suddenly getting a re-release and you find out it runs a tad slower and it's missing some shots or the colours have been tuned, and it doesn't say anything on the box. I'm fine with it, it's just so obscure and secret. also, unless it says so somewhere, i think the "original master" vs. "pcb recording" is just an assumption

That is, unless it's all explained in the booklet in Japanese. But somehow all there seems to be is a tracklist and some comments.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 12:47 AM

It's not really an assumption. We know the newer ones are PCB recordings because they sound identical to the in-game audio. The others are master recordings because they make use of uncompressed samples that wouldn't be recoverable from the PCB.

The SuperSweep albums also advertise on both their webpages and their obis that they're re-recordings of the original BGM. As for the older master recordings, Hosoe spelled out the process pretty clearly on page 27 of the massive 40-page liner notes from Namco Game Sound Express vol. 4. That's what I have on-hand but I wouldn't be surprised if it was mentioned elsewhere in that series. It wasn't uncommon to use original masters like that for soundtrack albums back then (Valken/Cybernator, Syvalion SNES, Wild Arms, Super Mario 64 just to name a few).

Last edited by Aifread; Jul 25, 2022 at 03:41 AM.