VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:56 AM
VGMdb Staff

Default DuckTales the unknown composer, a new solution?

Well, I decide to make some research to solve the mistery of DuckTales composition.
Looking on some japanese sites, it could be plausible (but not a final proof) that Hiroshige "Pero" Tonomura composed the music for the game. Links here & here.
I've find also this quote on twitter
Quote:
The music of DuckTales sounds very similar to "Pro Yakyuu? Satsujin Jiken!", which was composed by Hiroshige Tonomura...
Tonomura moved to Taito from Capcom in 1990, while Duck Tales was developed on 1989, it could be one of his final works for capcom.
Does anyone have linked DuckTales to Tonomura before?

Last edited by depa; Aug 22, 2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:51 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The first site you linked lists DuckTales in red, and I've never been able to figure out what that site uses red text to mean. My suspicion is that it indicates guesses, as opposed to games that are listed because they meet whatever that guy's burden of proof is. The second site just straight up puts a question mark after Tonomura's name. So I'd just treat that as pure speculation for now.

It's certainly possible that Tonomura composed DuckTales, I guess. I haven't heard that theory until now. I can't say I'm familiar with anything he did at Capcom, and at Taito his roles were usually production, direction, etc., so I can't make any comparisons.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:18 PM

Meeps, that's who I thought it was, based on the music from Destiny of an Emperor. Good to know someone else does, though I now feel foolish for not having brought it up sooner. Every once in a while I'd put that name and "ducktales" into google and this is the first time anything has come up!

http://youtu.be/05tH30ZxQTg the regular general battle theme I consider somewhat incriminating, though it was the
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK5uVZOcsPs#t=2m05s cave tune that caught my attention for a reason I cannot recall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMEDr7Wo9vE#t=39m24s The city music starts in the same manner as the Transylvania music but it is otherwise dissimilar.
-----------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnCzVUK4Eqw I wrote all that right before I went to sleep, after humming to myself rather than having any good listens. I think truly the proper "boss" fight music sounds similar in both games; they both have a similar effect I have decided to describe as "antagonistic high note duo" in them. I may be thinking about this too much.

Last edited by Garnobium; Nov 1, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:24 PM
Trusted Editor

In case you missed it in the Yoshihiro Sakaguchi thread, I've confirmed that Hiroshige Tonomura was indeed the composer of Duck Tales. Nice work depa!