VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the change!

Scrollbars can be styled in newer browsers to fit in with the rest of the page style, and don't appear in touch based browsers to begin with. (If you need pointers for all the necessary CSS just let me know.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
and if, instead of a scrollbar, there could be a sort of... how to say (damn, me too headache to think)
I'm gonna give an example

composed by: artist, artist, artist, artist, artist, artist [...] or [more details] (could appear if 10+ artists or such)
->
composed by: artist, artist, artist, artist, artist, artist, artist, artist, artist, artist, artist, etc.

note that the [...] link could work one by one (if you click on compo's and then on arranger's so compo's returns to [...])
or manually where you click a second time to retract the complete listing
Eww, please not...
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:40 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija
It depends on your monitor resolution, font size, whether the browser window is fully maximized or not. So it will be different depending on user preferences.
Ah yes, I see your point. Wasn't thinking about other screen sizes for some reason. It seems the most common screen sizes are all close to 1280x720, so this change will probably be more noticeable than I thought.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:18 AM

Webkit (Safari, Chrome, most mobile and console browser nowadays) only. The overflowing div needs an ID, CSS can be dropped into e.g. vgmdb.css. (Screen width of this screenshot is 1024px btw.)

Code:
#test { /* move the style stuff of the div into the vgmdb.css file, #test is just the ID I put there, please adapt =P */
	max-height:300px;
	overflow:auto;
	-webkit-overflow-scrolling:touch; /* native scrolling momentum on touch pads */
}
#test::-webkit-scrollbar { /* width of the scrollbar */
	width: 10px;
}

#test::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb { /* look of the thumb */
	border-radius: 5px;
	background: #606978; 
}
For IE and Opera older MS-specific CSS properties could be used for coloring the scrollbar.

Last edited by Datschge; Nov 25, 2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:38 AM

Btw. an issue with the overflow is that with large sections the label may not be visible right away (above example much of the performer section can be seen but the label is beyond the visible area). Imo this should be fixed by changing the vertical alignment of the labels from middle to top (e.g. td{vertical-align:top;}).
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:41 AM
VGMdb Advisor

If it doesn't work cross-browser then it's not a good solution, and I'm sure most web designers would agree with me. I would suggest using buttons (like the "Filter" buttons at the top of user's submissions page) instead, at the top or bottom of the info box-- or tabs, like those we have on tracklists, whatever works best. In there we could finally list "Other works" as well (which would probably include SFX artists, engineers, etc.)

Last edited by Nisto; Nov 29, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:13 AM

As I said before I'd really appreciate that all text is findable using simple text searches. The above solutions are only related to visuals and the fallback (i.e. how it looks right now) works in all browsers. The javascript solution you hint at actively hides text in a way that makes it unsearchable at the start, making additional manual interaction necessary.

We could add a button to toggle the whole content to using overflow or not (i.e. showing it in the compact scrollable area or bumping down the tracklist to show it flat without scrollbar), that's easy to do in javascript and doesn't actively hide any text.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:51 AM

I said [...] or [more details], but it could be a button or an icon (maybe something near the size of those arrow icons where you have "added", "edited", etc.)
but my idea is only for compo/arr/perf/lyr without engulfing the cat/pub/date/etc.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:41 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I talked about this some with Blah, and he thinks that the variable-length information (artists) ultimately should be removed from the fixed-length container (the large infobit). We didn't come up with where they should go, though. We might need some page redesign to do this right. The eventual goal though is to have credits on each track.

Not sure what we will do for the medium term. I may stick with the scrollbar, though I can increase the max height so that it'll occur less frequently. The scrollbar style in Datschge's post is nice, but we have to remain cross-platform. Buttons and Tabs seem to be as contentious as the Scrollbar.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:57 PM

When you start planing a page redesign please keep in mind the interactions of fixed and variable sized parts. Atm the site has a fixed width header and footer while the content has variable width. As the latter is the most important part this behavior is actually mostly great as is, but it does lead to some odd behaviors like disappearing and then (even after scrolling horizontally) unreachable menu entries in the header menu if the screen width is less than it needs.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:15 AM

With the goal of credits on each track, has there been any thought into how it will be done? Like as a spread sheet allowing to attach each set of people to a column, or something a bit more in depth, like a back end work that allows all versions of the song to be linked up, and allowing for some or all of the artists to be pushed from the original on out? Also what about the parts where it is just general? Like an orchestra that may or may not play on the whole album with no way to know, do you just attach it to an unknown or mass role area?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:56 AM
VGMdb Advisor

When you do allow crediting composers to specific tracks, I imagine it would be done through the tracklist page, and not the general album edit/submit page (that's how I would've wanted it at least).