VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:52 AM

In charge of the music again for Mario Kart 7. Sweet.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interv...rio-kart-7/1/0
Old Dec 1, 2011, 04:11 PM
Trusted Editor

Awesome. He's my second favorite guy from the Nintendo Sound Team. (after Koji, of course)
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:15 AM

Looks like he headed New Super Mario Bros. 2 as well. I'm disappointed that they rehashed the main theme again. Haven't sat down to check out his Mario Kart 7 stuff yet.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 03:12 AM

... ... ... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. .. . . . .

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:09 PM
Trusted Editor

Basically anything that sounds like Rainbow Road, haha. You can also usually tell what song is Tanaka's by the bass and basslines she always seems to use (just compare this soundtrack with Super Mario Sunshine). I'd say this soundtrack was predominantly Tanaka's, with Nagata only really doing Rainbow Road, Bowser's Castle, Staff Roll, and the Menu theme.

I'm more interested in how many songs Nagata did for Mario Kart 7 (outside of Rainbow Road, Mario Circuit, Rock Rock Mountain, and Bowser's Castle).

Last edited by dissident93; Aug 24, 2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 04:17 AM

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist500 View Post
In regards to his music for Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, there are at least three tracks sound it was done by him: Luigi Circuit, Bowser's Castle and Rainbow Road. Someone told me that he wrote the Staff Roll theme. Can anyone shed some light on what tracks he was in charge of?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
Basically anything that sounds like Rainbow Road, haha. You can also usually tell what song is Tanaka's by the bass and basslines she always seems to use (just compare this soundtrack with Super Mario Sunshine). I'd say this soundtrack was predominantly Tanaka's, with Nagata only really doing Rainbow Road, Bowser's Castle, Staff Roll, and the Menu theme.

I'm more interested in how many songs Nagata did for Mario Kart 7 (outside of Rainbow Road, Mario Circuit, Rock Rock Mountain, and Bowser's Castle).
I agree with that analysis. I was playing Double Dash with my girlfriend over the last few weeks and we were discussing the composer roles together. I said to her that it sounded like most of the soundtrack was Tanaka (kind of fun/silly/childish sounding to my ears), but Rainbow Road and the Credits music are Nagata IMO. Luigi Circuit I would pin as Tanaka too - well, she likes using whistle patches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist500
Outside of those, Nagata's Mario Kart 7 work are Cheep Cheep Lagoon, Rosalina's Ice World, Wuhu Mountain Loop (arrange), Toad Circuit, Spectating Race, Menu, Staff, and Title Theme. I don't know about the fanfares though.

The soundtrack appears to be handled mostly by Satomi Terui. Gatta love her wacky, jazz chord progressions haha
Is there proof for this, just out of interest? Didn't listen to this soundtrack yet but I'm curious. And I wonder if Terui's chord vocab is as wacky as Soyo Oka's... how exciting
Old Sep 1, 2014, 05:25 PM

This guy...
THIS GUY...
is my favorite Nintendo composer.

SO COOL.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 04:54 AM

Old Feb 1, 2015, 06:37 AM

Mario Kart 64 is the only soundtrack of his that I can say I love, on other games it's just the odd song here and there that I enjoy (MKDD Rainbow Road and Credits for instance.) Not even sure about Phantom Hourglass compositional roles, it's probably about as good as Wind Waker but I didn't play it very far, so less familiar.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 01:25 AM
Trusted Editor

I think a lot of the same can be said about the rest of Nintendo, especially if you compare them with the sound teams of Sega, Bandai Namco, Falcom, etc
Old Feb 2, 2015, 03:12 AM

Old Feb 2, 2015, 08:08 AM

Yeah I already had Mercay Island as a guess and Ciela is just Outset Island v2 right?! Not so sure about Ocean though... though I guess I can't tell what's Minegishi about it. Also Beedle is Kondo unless I'm missing something ~ seems to have been carried over verbatim.

EDIT: also I'd add Sandtime Hours, Bellum Battle and Phantom Linebeck Battle as Minegishi guesses. but to be honest many of these songs I wouldn't like to say either way.

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; Feb 2, 2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:07 PM

Old Aug 11, 2017, 08:58 PM

Hi.. I hate to change topic, but why did Guitarist500's posts change into useless dots..? I really couldn't find the answer
Old Apr 22, 2020, 03:51 PM

Just found that Super Mario Run's Wikipedia page credits Kenta Nagata as a composer for the game (quick reminder : Super Mario Run, among some other mobile Nintendo games, doesn't have proper staff credits). So I looked into the revision history and the justification for this is "according to the metadata of Remix 10".
I also saw that he's credited as its sound director on his Nintendo Wiki page (according to the revision history, it seems it was added by RBM but I can't find any source).

Does anybody have more information on this ?

Also, I guess he did some of Mario Kart Tour's soundtrack : the music for Tokyo Blur sounds a lot like his previous works for the Mario Kart series (especially MK7).
Oh and he could very well be responsible for the composition of Lunar Colony from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe too judging by its style.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 04:16 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm not sure exactly what "metadata" is being referred to, but the music files for Super Mario Run are basically just Ogg Vorbis files and none of them have any tags that would indicate an author, just timing data for looping.

EDIT: Ah, an MP3 of the Remix 10 music on the website has Nagata tagged as the remixer: https://supermariorun.com/assets/sound/bgm.mp3

Last edited by CHz; Apr 22, 2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalo View Post
I also saw that he's credited as its sound director on his Nintendo Wiki page (according to the revision history, it seems it was added by RBM but I can't find any source).
I put that in there as Nagata's name appears in the Canadian Intellectual Property Office copyright listing for Super Mario Run. I went with "sound director" as that seems to be Nagata's main role as of recently, much like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, New Super Mario Bros. 2, or Mario Kart 8/Deluxe (I know it's probably not safe to infer roles that way, but the CIPO tends to list the "lead" or "directorial" staff on each title anyway). That doesn't exclude the possibility of there being other sound staff involved in the title as well though.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 07:54 AM

Oh ok, so Nagata was really involved with at least music in the game. Big thanks to both of you !