VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 13, 2009, 06:40 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Is the front album art supposed to be rotated like this?
Old May 13, 2009, 06:55 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm not a fan of rotating the booklet cover sideways like that, unless it really is a case shot (complete with Obi.)
Old May 13, 2009, 11:52 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Agreed. A physical CD case can be instantaneously rotated, so I assume they figured they could get away with printing it however they wanted and still have it readable. I assume they didn't actually intend it to be read sideways, especially when the art lines up with the text.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:23 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I reoriented the front scan on the original release and the reprint. The reprint still has an alternative scan with the old horizontal orientation.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:43 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Shouldn't the display title say "Final Fantasy & Final Fantasy II" like it does on the front cover? I mean, it clearly doesn't say "Final Fantasy I".

I read it says "I・II" in Japanese on the Obi among one of few places, but that doesn't mean it should say "Final Fantasy I" on English, just because of that, does it?

Last edited by Nisto; Mar 3, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 06:11 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I think the front title is a better choice for this one, so good catch on this old error.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 06:29 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Also, I've edited "Final Fantasy I, II" to "Final Fantasy Origins" in "Products represented" field, since this album is the original soundtrack of this collection.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:20 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I see Johann Strauss II and Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky are credited. Which exact tracks did they compose?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:53 PM

I believe 2-20 "Waltz" is Johann Strauss II's "Emperor Waltz" and 2-21 "Temptation of the Princess" is Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake". However I won't add this to the notes until someone can confirm.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:58 PM
VGMdb Advisor

You're right, Muzza. This issue was discussed here. I think someone copied the credit information from All Sounds of Final Fantasy I • II album, but forgot to add the note about this detail.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:44 AM

I have questions about a couple of the booklet's credits for this album. The first one reads:
Quote:
Original phrase on track 26.27 (Disc2) written by Nobuo Uematsu
Are they only bothering to say this as some sort of indication that these were more or less composed by Tsuyoshi Sekito, and that they just contain the phrase from the original battle theme? These are the Battle Scene A and B tracks and I don't think they're present in the original game (soundtrack release here).

The next credit reads:
Quote:
Music & Arrangement on track31 (Disc2) : Tsuyoshi Sekito
Does anybody have any idea what track this is really referring to? There is no track 31 on disc 2, and I can't really narrow down which one Tsuyoshi Sekito may have written himself.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:20 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm not sure, but the reprint words it all a little differently, perhaps an errata:

http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=16389

Original phrase by Nobuo Uematsu. It could be based on a musical theme or sentence that was further arranged by Sekito.

http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=135935

Seems to have been corrected from Track 31 to Track 26&7
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:18 PM

Oh, okay. That's interesting. I guess later I'll do some scans and add something in the notes about the credits since they differ from the reprint. But I guess this means Tsuyoshi Sekito should be listed as a composer in these entries?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoc View Post
Also, I've edited "Final Fantasy I, II" to "Final Fantasy Origins" in "Products represented" field, since this album is the original soundtrack of this collection.
actually, it's not totally exact
this album is the ost for Final Fantasy (PS), Final Fantasy II (PS) and their Premium Package (PS) released one week before the games are out

Final Fantasy Origins is just the translation of both games
if the games had never been translated, so you couldn't use it as products represented
Old May 10, 2013, 11:37 PM

I'm not sure if you're supposed to post about this kind of thing, but I changed "Deep Place" to "To a Deep Place". The へ in 深き場所へ indicates direction and seems to have just been omitted, so I added it into the translation.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 04:28 PM

Soundtrack really packs a punch in the beginning basically from track 4 The Prelude to track 10 Town. Fantastic music. If you are going to listen to anything, definitely go for Opening Theme, Main Theme, Chaos Temple and Town. Main Theme is so energetic and fun and full of adventure! Chaos Temple I find to be very unique with a great melody mixed in with that memorable backing in which I can't find the words for, although overall it is definitely not chaotic.

FFII portion is slightly inferior. I really liked Temptation of the Princess on that side.

Overall pretty good. Nice beginning to the franchise's awesome music coming from Nobuo!

Last edited by BahamutZ; Sep 24, 2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:57 PM

Replying to Hellacia's and Secret Squirrel's ages-old posts. Sekito's work on Final Fantasy II was actually brought over and rearranged from the Wonderswan version which he also did. Here's a bit of a musical analysis of what he worked on:

Tracks newly added by Sekito to FF2:
  • 2.01 "Opening Movie" and 2.02 "Opening Movie + SE" (Quotes "Rebel Army Theme" repeatedly. Added for the FMV which obviously wasn't in the Famicom and Wonderswan versions.)
  • 2.03 "Opening" (Quotes "Prelude" at the end. Added for the in-game opening cutscene which the Famicom version didn't have. The Wonderswan version had it, though.)
  • 2.25 "Inn" (Arranged from FF1's "Save Music". Added for sleeping at an inn which had no jingle in the Famicom version. The Wonderswan version also has this.)
  • 2.26 "Battle Scene A" (Quotes "Battle Scene 1", the regular battle theme, sort of at the beginning. The Wonderswan version also has this. This is the new boss battle theme for the second half of the game, with "Battle Scene 2" being saved for the final battle.)
  • 2.27 "Battle Scene B" (I can't hear which phrase by Uematsu this is supposed to use. I could imagine it very loosely quoting "Battle Scene 2", but it's a stretch. The Wonderswan version also has this. This is the new boss battle theme for the first half of the game. I really don't like it to the point of thinking I stopped playing the game because of it.)

Tracks expanded by Sekito for FF2:
  • 2.06 "Revivification" (Added an introduction without a bassline that is exclusive to the PlayStation version, the Wonderswan version doesn't have it.)
  • 2.08 "Rebel Army Theme" (Added the guitar part at the end that is exclusive to the PlayStation version, the Wonderswan version doesn't have it.)
  • 2.10 "Main Theme" (Added the breathtakingly beautiful second half of the piece with the key change and the guitar. The Wonderswan version also has it.)
  • 2.12 "Imperial Army Theme" (Doubled the length with new instrumentation in the second part. The Wonderswan version also has this.)
  • 2.15 "Run!" (Added the second part which might be quoting "Imperial Army Theme". The Wonderswan version also has it.)
  • 2.16 "Ancient Castle" (Added the second part with the strings and the third part with the percussion. Both exclusive to the PlayStation version, the Wonderswan version doesn't have them.)
  • 2.18 "The Emperor Revives" (Doubled the length with a new loop end. The Wonderswan version also has this.)
  • 2.21 "Temptation of the Princess" (Added the second part which is also lifted from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. The Wonderswan version has it too.)
  • 2.29 "Finale" (Added repeated and new parts starting from 2:45, again quoting "Prelude" at the end. The Wonderswan version also has them.)

And a comparison of the boss "Battle Scene" music used in the Famicom / PlayStation (and pretty much all remake) versions of FF2. It really changes the game's atmosphere a lot!

Spoiler:
Sergeant: 1 / B
Adamantoise: 1 / B
Borghen: 1 / B
Shrieker/Red Soul: 1 / B
Chimera: 1 / B (A in Pixel Remaster)
Lamia Queen: 1 / A
Behemoth: 2 / B
Gottos: 1 / B
Gigan Rhino/Big Horn: 1 / B
Barrel Worm/Roundworm: 1 / B
Fire Gigas: 1 / A
Ice Gigas: 1 / A
Thunder Gigas: 1 / A
White Dragon: 2 / A
Green Dragon: 2 / A
Royal Guard: 1 / A
Emperor, Royal Guard, Wood Golem: 1 / B
King Behemoth: 2 / A
Blue Dragon: 2 / A
Red Dragon: 2 / A
Zombie Borghen: 1 / A
Tiamat: 2 / A
Astaroth: 2 / A
Beelzebub: 2 / A
Emperor: 2 / 2

Oh, the "All Sounds of Final Fantasy I & II" album also has a never used and never arranged "Battle Scene 3" by Uematsu for the Famicom version. I would have preferred an arrangement of this as the regular boss battle theme for the remake versions... Given that there's a second FF2 "Dungeon" theme which Uematsu kept in stock for six years and rearranged as "The Magic House" for FF6! And two more unused compositions ("Shop" and "Airship") that were neither included in any version of FF2 nor arranged.

Now, here's what got me wondering about the Wonderswan and PlayStation versions of FF1. It's sort of cryptic with its arranger credits. Comparing the Wonderswan credits of FF1...

Spoiler:
ORIGINAL STAFF

ORIGINAL DEVELOPMENT

HIRONOBU SAKAGUCHI
HIROMICHI TANAKA

AKITOSHI KAWAZU
KOUICHI ISHII
KIYOSHI YOSHII

KEN NARITA
KAZUKO SHIBUYA
NOBUO UEMATSU

REMAKE STAFF

MUSIC SUPERVISOR
NOBUO UEMATSU

TRANSLATION
TOSE CO., LTD.

SPECIAL THANKS
SQUARE ALL STAFF

...to the Wonderswan credits of FF2...

Spoiler:
ORIGINAL STAFF

MUSIC COMPOSE
NOBUO UEMATSU

REMAKE STAFF

SOUND PROGRAMMER
[SQUARE SOUNDS Co.,LTD.]
MINORU AKAO

MUSIC COMPOSER
[SQUARE SOUNDS Co.,LTD.]
TSUYOSHI SEKITO

SOUND EDITOR
[SQUARE SOUNDS Co.,LTD.]
YUJI ISOGAWA
MAKOTO ISE
KENICHI MIKOSHIBA

MUSIC SUPERVISOR
[SQUARE SOUNDS Co.,LTD.]
NOBUO UEMATSU

TRANSLATION
KAN NAVI Corp.

SPECIALTHANKS
TOSHIAKI NAITOU
YASUHIKO KYO

SQUARE ALL STAFF

...we can see that Nobuo Uematsu is music supervisor for both the Wonderswan versions of FF1 and FF2. I find it unlikely Uematsu had to supervise FF1's music when he did the arrangements himself. Also note how FF2 credits Tsuyoshi Sekito as music composer and how the porting company changed from Tose to Kan Navi from FF1 to FF2. Could it be that one or several composers from Tose did the Wonderswan arrangements for FF1? Not a single staff member from Tose is listed by name in the credits.

This album's booklet credits Sekito for the FF2 arrangements of the PlayStation version, but fails to specifically credit any arranger for FF1.

The Wonderswan version of FF1 is almost a direct arrangement of the Famicom music. There are no newly added sections like in FF2, and the first few notes of "Dead Music" and "Ending Theme" were cut, as was the real, non-looping ending of "Ending Theme". Other than that, only the tempo and the instrumentation of the music is slightly changed, with "Dungeon" gaining that snazzy percussion, for example. Newly composed tracks for the Wonderswan version are:
  • 1.03 "Opening Demo" (Quotes "Prelude" at the end. The Famicom version didn't have this cutscene.)
  • 1.23 "Church" (Quotes "Opening Theme" and "Prelude". Played where you can revive party members. The Famicom version just played "Shop".)
  • 1.25 "Lute" (Basically "Prelude" with different instrumentation. The Famicom version just played "Getting an Important Item".)
  • 1.26 "Bridge Building" (An arrangement of "Cornelia Castle". Played when the northern bridge is built and when playing the secret sliding puzzle on the ship. The Famicom version didn't have the cutscene and played "Opening Theme" during the sliding puzzle instead.)
  • 1.27 "Deep Place" (An original composition. Played when traveling to the Sunken Shrine. The Famicom version didn't have this cutscene.)
  • 1.28 "Fanfare" (The beginning of "Victory" with slightly different instrumentation. Played when the king of Cornelia announces that the northern bridge will be built. The Famicom version just played "Getting an Important Item".)
  • 1.32 "Mid-Boss Battle" (Quotes "Battle Scene". Regular boss battle theme. The Famicom version just played "Battle Scene".)
  • 1.33 "Boss Battle A" (Quotes "Battle Scene". Lich and Kraken boss battle theme. The Famicom version just played "Battle Scene".)
  • 1.34 "Boss Battle B" (Quotes "Battle Scene" and "Prelude". Marilith and Tiamat boss battle theme. The Famicom version just played "Battle Scene".)
  • 1.35 "Last Battle" (Quotes "Battle Scene" and sounds a suspicious lot like "The Extreme" from FF8. Chaos boss battle theme. The Famicom version just played "Battle Scene".)

The bulk of FF1's arrangement work really only started with the PlayStation version. In addition to including the Wonderswan compositions, it also added some new tracks:
  • 1.01 "Opening Movie" and 1.02 "Opening Movie + SE" (Quotes "Prelude" and the battle part reminds me a bit of "Liberi Fatali" from FF8 and "Battle 1" from FF9. Previous versions didn't have this FMV.)
  • 1.24 "Ruined Castle" (An arrangement of "Cornelia Castle". Previous versions just played "Cornelia Castle".)
  • 1.29 "Crystal Revival" (An arrangement of "Prelude". Played when touching a crystal after beating an elemental fiend. The Famicom version didn't have these cutscenes, the Wonderswan version didn't play any music.)
  • 1.31 "Inn" (Basically "Shop" with different instrumentation. Previous versions just played "Shop".)

Tracks expanded and changed by the arranger(s) for the PlayStation version of FF1:
  • 1.03 "Opening Demo" (Slightly expanded and arranged. It sounds very different in places.)
  • 1.05 "Opening Theme" (The previous versions had an A-B-A-B... loop. The PlayStation version is A1-A2-B-A3-A1..., where the A part is arranged with more and more pomp each time.)
  • 1.06 "Cornelia Castle" (Thrice as long as previous versions. Also does the A1-A2-A3 thing with more pomp on each repetition.)
  • 1.07 "Main Theme" (Almost thrice as long. An intro was added. The main part is repeated with more pomp once, then the intro is repeated twice with a slight arrangement as an interlude.)
  • 1.08 "Chaos Temple" (More than twice as long. An intro and an interlude before the loop was added.)
  • 1.09 "Matoya's Cave" (More than twice as long. The second half of the song is arranged to be a bit quieter and sounds like an interlude at first.)
  • 1.10 "Town" (More than twice as long. An intro was added and the second half of the song has more elaborate instrumentation. You can tell they wanted the guitar to sound like a live performance.)
  • 1.13 "Underwater Temple" (Almost twice as long. An intro was added that is also played in the loop.)
  • 1.14 "Dungeon" (Slightly expanded with an interlude. The snazzy percussion from the Wonderswan version returns. Other than that, the song feels completely different from the Famicom version, but it's less annoying and rather more enjoyable now.)
  • 1.15 "Airship" (Doubled the length with slightly different instrumentation in the second half.)
  • 1.17 "Gurgu Volcano" (More than twice as long. Added an intro and an interlude, both of which are played in the loop.)
  • 1.18 "Floating Castle" (More than twice as long. Added an intro and a second half with percussion.)
  • 1.23 "Church" (The key is changed and the second half is completely different. The PlayStation version also gets rid of the "Prelude" quote, probably to avoid overusing it.)
  • 1.27 "Deep Place" (Some water bubble sound effects were added.)
  • 1.28 "Fanfare" (Instrumentation changed more to set it apart from the beginning of "Victory".)
  • 1.33 "Boss Battle A" (An intro was added and another, very fitting "Battle Scene" quote was woven into the melody before the Wonderswan version's sets in.)
  • 1.36 "Ending Theme" (Technically, this is about twice as long because a second half in the loop with more pomp was added. Still, the original Famicom piece is more than 4 minutes long despite containing 6 loops of which only the sixth is unique with an ending. The Wonderswan and PlayStation arranger(s) probably worked from the "All Sounds of Final Fantasy I & II" album as that version also lacks the first few notes and the true ending from the Famicom version, recording only 2 complete loops.)

So, who did the PlayStation version of FF1? Comparing its credits...

Spoiler:
ORIGINAL STAFF

ORIGINAL DEVELOPMENT

HIRONOBU SAKAGUCHI
HIROMICHI TANAKA

AKITOSHI KAWAZU
KOUICHI ISHII
KIYOSHI YOSHII

KEN NARITA
KAZUKO SHIBUYA
NOBUO UEMATSU

REMAKE STAFF

ORIGINAL MUSIC COMPOSED BY
NOBUO UEMATSU

PORTING
TOSE CO., LTD.

...to FF2's PlayStation credits...

Spoiler:
ORIGINAL STAFF

ORIGINAL DEVELOPMENT
HIRONOBU SAKAGUCHI
HIROMICHI TANAKA
AKITOSHI KAWAZU
KOUICHI ISHII
KATSUHISA HIGUCHI
KAZUKO SHIBUYA
NOBUO UEMATSU

REMAKE STAFF

SOUND PROGRAMMER
MINORU AKAO

MUSIC
TSUYOSHI SEKITO

SOUND EDITOR
MASATAKA SAITO
TOMOHIRO KAMIYA

MUSIC SUPERVISOR
NOBUO UEMATSU

PORTING
KAN NAVI Corp

...we can see that they bothered enough to change Sekito's FF2 remake credit from "music composer" to just "music" (probably because he arranged more than he composed?) and Uematsu's FF1 remake credit from "music supervisor" to "original music composed by". Which could mean anything from Uematsu having composed only the original Famicom music to having composed and arranged new, original music for the PlayStation version (which, except for "Opening Movie", doesn't really apply as all the new music is either arranged or lifted from the Wonderswan version). And again, Tose involved with FF1's PlayStation version without any names listed. Maybe it was really arranged by Tose staff.

Some Tose composers are listed for the first time in the Game Boy Advance version credits of FF1 and FF2 (same music credits for both games):

Spoiler:
FINAL FANTASY I & II DAWN OF SOULS Staff

Music Supervisor
Nobuo Uematsu

Conversion
TOSE Co., Ltd.

Composers
Ryoue Takagi

Hiroshi Nakajima
Ayumu Murai
Shingo Kataoka
Mitsutoshi Kodama
Yosuke Ago
Hidenori Miyanaga

The fact that Sekito and Kan Navi are not mentioned probably means that Tose handled the Game Boy Advance versions and the composers listed programmed the music data. The music for both games generally follows the PlayStation versions, but not without some noticeable changes to tracks such as FF1's "Opening Demo" (shortened) and "Boss Battle A" (the additional "Battle Scene" quote was removed again because the sound hardware didn't allow for this many voices). No such changes were made to FF2, the music was just adjusted to the hardware, as far as I can hear. One new track was added to the Game Boy Advance compilation:
  • "Prelude" (A shorter arrangement probably closest to those from FF4 and FF5. Played at the FF1/FF2 title select screen after booting the game up.

The PlayStation Portable version of FF1 keeps the short version of "Opening Demo" from the Game Boy Advance version and the water bubble sounds in "Deep Place" were revised. Other than that, it is a port of the PlayStation version in terms of the arrangements, albeit with inferior sound quality. Although it is streamed audio, basses and heights are crippled and everything sounds more compressed than it should. Five arrangements were added to the game for the newly added boss battles:
  • "Battle 2" (From FF3. Cerberus, Echidna, Two-Headed Dragon and Ahriman boss battle theme.)
  • "Fight 2" (From FF4. Scarmiglione, Cagnazzo, Barbariccia and Rubicante boss battle theme.)
  • "Battle 2" (From FF5. Atomos, Omega and Shinryu boss battle theme.)
  • "Battle at the Big Bridge" (From FF5. Gilgamesh boss battle theme.)
  • "The Decisive Battle" (From FF6. Typhon, Orthros, Phantom Train and Death Gaze boss battle theme.)

The arrangements for FF2 didn't change at all (not counting the same sound quality downgrade as in FF1) and no new tracks were added. Just to make this complete, here's FF1's PlayStation Portable credits...

Spoiler:

MUSIC SUPERVISOR
NOBUO UEMATSU

TOSE CO., LTD.

COMPOSER
HIDENORI MIYANAGA
KENGO HAGIWARA
SHINGO KATAOKA

...and FF2's PlayStation Portable credits:

Spoiler:

MUSIC SUPERVISOR
NOBUO UEMATSU

TOSE CO., LTD.

COMPOSER
HIDENORI MIYANAGA
KENGO HAGIWARA

FINAL FANTASY II ORIGINAL DEVELOPMENT

NOBUO UEMATSU

The Pixel Remaster version includes Sekito's new tracks for FF2 (except for "Opening Movie") but its merry band of arrangers omitted many of his expanded sections in other tracks, doing their own thing. Sekito himself had to play the guitar this time around but not in the "Main Theme" as that part was booted too. Sheesh! Here's the credits for the Pixel Remaster version as there's no other place to stuff it yet (FF1-4 Pixel Remasters all have almost the same music credits with only the "Remote Recording" sections being different):

Spoiler:
MUSIC DIRECTOR
Hidenori Miyanaga

ORIGINAL COMPOSER & MUSIC SUPERVISOR
Nobuo Uematsu

ARRANGER/SOUND EDITORS
Ayumu Murai
Hirosato Noda

SOUND EDITORS
Eri Yha
Keisuke Morita
Daiki Okazaki

SOUND PROGRAMMERS
Yoshinori Tsuchida
Akihiro Minami
Yuichi Nishimatsu

GUITAR
Tsuyoshi Sekito

PROJECT MANAGERS
Masamu Kobayashi
Kazuki Hamamoto

ARRANGERS
Tomonori Adachi (Ivory Music)
Reo Uratani (Rei Music)
Shingo Kataoka (U-on Factory)
Yuko Komiyama (comymusic)
Daisuke Shiiba
Ryoue Takagi (Studio Chikkyousya)
Eri Tsunemoto (studio de musique)
Kento Hasegawa (SOUND18)
Masato Kouda (DesignWave Co.,Ltd.)
Masaya Tsunemoto (JT STUDIO akihabara)

ARTIST MANAGERS
Atsushi Mori (DesignWave Co.,Ltd.)
Hiroshi Okamoto (JT STUDIO akihabara)

Dog Ear Records Co., Ltd.

MUSIC PRODUCTION MANAGER
Hiroki Ogawa

ASSISTANT MANAGER
Takanori Uematsu

RECORDING SECTION

<Osaka>

CONDUCTOR
Shimpei Sasaki

ARTIST MANAGER
Seiji Watanabe

ORCHESTRA
Japan Century Symphony Orchestra

RECORDING DIRECTION SUPPORT
Keiji Ono (Myo-on-sha Inc.)

<Tokyo>

FLUTE
Junichiro Taku

OBOE
Kanami Araki

CLARINET
Hidehito Naka

BASSOON
Yohta Minakami

HORN
Tatsuo Nippashi

TRUMPET
Kenichi Tsujimoto

TROMBONE
Shinji Koga

TUBA
Shinpei Tsugita

PERCUSSION
Akihiro Oba

HARP
Kazuko Shinozaki

STRINGS
Koichiro Muroya Strings

RECORDING/MIXING ENGINEER
Takeshi Muramatsu (Octavia Records Inc.)

RECORDING COORDINATOR
Tsutomu Satomi (Shangri-la inc.)

<Remote Recording> (FF I)

GUITAR
Masashi Kuno

DRUM
YOYOKA

RECORDER/TIN WHISTLE/FIDDLE
Patri

RECORDER
Hidehiro Nakamura

<Remote Recording> (FF II)

GUITAR
Masashi Kuno

<Remote Recording> (FF III)

FLUTE
Naoko Yamamoto

OBOE/ENGLISH HORN
Takayuki Mogami

CLARINET
Marina Yamamoto

TRUMPET
Hiroto Uga

DRUMS
Genta Shirakawa
YOYOKA

Patri

SPECIAL THANKS
Yui Hada
Hisashi Yamagiwa

<Remote Recording> (FF IV)

TRUMPET
Hiroto Uga

LUTE
Masashi Kuno

DRUMS
Genta Shirakawa
YOYOKA

Patri

SPECIAL THANKS
Yui Hada
Hisashi Yamagiwa

Long story short, I think the PlayStation credits for FF1 can mean two things: Either Uematsu arranged the PlayStation version but the tracks added to the Wonderswan version were originally by Tose employees, or Tose employees did all composition and arrangements for the remake versions of FF1 (with the exception of Pixel Remaster). The stylistic similarities to Uematsu's earlier works would imply the former, but it could still be Tose employees mimicking his style or straight up lifting the passages in question from Uematsu's pieces.

Last edited by zierts; Sep 14, 2021 at 04:32 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 08:25 PM

"Last Battle" alone screams Uematsu to me, I would find it very hard to believe it's not his composition.

Unrelated, but has no one else ever noticed how extremely similar "Mid-Boss Battle" sounds to "Those Who Stand in the Way" from Terranigma?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj-Jk5zKQ4Y

A bit of George Harrison style cryptomnesia there, perhaps?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 09:40 AM

Square Enix Music didn't provide any meaningful credits for the PS Version soundtracks they recently shared with YouTube. Just 3 copies of "Nobuo Uematsu" (artist, composer, arranger):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mj3kiAT4T8k_WA
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertDankMemeHere View Post
"Last Battle" alone screams Uematsu to me, I would find it very hard to believe it's not his composition.

Unrelated, but has no one else ever noticed how extremely similar "Mid-Boss Battle" sounds to "Those Who Stand in the Way" from Terranigma?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj-Jk5zKQ4Y

A bit of George Harrison style cryptomnesia there, perhaps?
I never noticed the resemblance despite being well acquainted with both tracks. Had no idea there was a scientific term for the "accidental plagiarism" phenomenon either. I wonder how often this happens and if there's any way to differentiate deliberate from accidental plagiarism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yindesu View Post
Square Enix Music didn't provide any meaningful credits for the PS Version soundtracks they recently shared with YouTube. Just 3 copies of "Nobuo Uematsu" (artist, composer, arranger):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mj3kiAT4T8k_WA
Good find. Now we have an early confirmation that the credits in the video descriptions of Square Enix Music's YouTube channel are unreliable. Sekito was confirmed as arranger for FF2 per this album's booklet credits and the game credits, as seen above.

I'll also leave an exemplary video description for archival purposes:
Quote:
Provided to YouTube by NexTone Inc.

オープニング・ムービー · Nobuo Uematsu · Nobuo Uematsu · Nobuo Uematsu

(PS Version) FINAL FANTASY II (Original Soundtrack)

Released on: 2004-09-23

Auto-generated by YouTube.
Note the licensing information mentioning NexTone and the "Auto-generated by YouTube". Who knows what poor database they dipped into for these.

And I think we should remove Uematsu as FF1 arranger from the album notes until we have confirmation who did it.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierts View Post
Good find. Now we have an early confirmation that the credits in the video descriptions of Square Enix Music's YouTube channel are unreliable.
It depends on the release. I think FF3 DS's credits are likely to be true - for example, the Prelude is consistent with SQEX-10740. (At least, VGMdb's current interpretation of the tray is likely wrong, as it assumes that Yasuhiro Yamanaka is muZik. It makes far more sense if Yamanaka actually arranged 3 in-game tracks; otherwise, the same section of the tray should have listed Kenichiro Fukui too.)

Last edited by yindesu; Mar 21, 2022 at 12:39 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yindesu View Post
It depends on the release. I think FF3 DS's credits are likely to be true - for example, the Prelude is consistent with SQEX-10740. (At least, VGMdb's current interpretation of the tray is likely wrong, as it assumes that Yasuhiro Yamanaka is muZik. It makes far more sense if Yamanaka actually arranged 3 in-game tracks; otherwise, the same section of the tray should have listed Kenichiro Fukui too.)
These credits in the video descriptions probably came from some kind of internal database in Square Enix that was prepared for licensing scenarios like this. The people who built it very likely used what they were given (the FF3 data for example might've been more specific and actually correct) but I doubt they put in any extra work beyond looking at the first online source that listed some composer or arranger for a game. They want to make money with their music first and foremost and a large portion of the "early-years" stuff was done by in-house musicians anyway, so they probably won't put in the legwork to give proper attribution for fringe cases like this.

But you're right, I should rephrase: The video description credits are unreliable if they're not cross-referenced with other sources that back them up. I maintain we should err on the side of caution with these.

I could even imagine the SQEX-10740 credits coming from the same source as the YouTube video descriptions, seeing how it also erroneously credits Uematsu for FF2's PlayStation version...
Old Jun 22, 2023, 08:09 AM

Had some thoughts on this because of the recent collection. I kind of wish they included this set as soundtrack options for FFI & 2 in the Pixel Remasters, I still think this is a great set of music.

I was kind of bummed out by the world map ("Main Theme") mix in FFII PR, I think Sekito nailed it with the sense of sadness on the PS1. I don't think the additional, new parts push that sadness any further.

However, I thought the changes to "The Imperial Army" in PR were great and made a keystone track better.

Was disappointed with "Tower of the Magi" tho.

Also, as far as the game goes, I thought FFII in the Pixel Remasters was the best version thus far - if you exclude the bonus mode in the GBA version.