VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Sep 7, 2013, 08:21 PM
VGMdb Administrator

So, I listened to the tracks on Bandcamp, and compared them to the tracks on SSCX-10105, and I found no evidence of sampling.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
... the remix classification is used for a specific type of arrangement that samples the original sound and plays it back modified.
Well, that's exactly what's happening here. Plus, what about the sampled beats, and the drops. We're talking about dubstep here! It's not called "Tales of EDM" for the sake of being trendy.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 04:45 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't know much about EDM, but I think from our perspective, we are interested in whether the original PS2 or GC music was sampled, and I don't hear that here.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 06:01 AM

What difference does it make? It's the same soundtrack between the two consoles. But seriously, what are you hearing then? I can understand if you don't know much about electronic music, but it's truly not impossible to hear the original source used here.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 06:43 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Which sampled beat ? I can't hear anything from the original source on "Beat the Angel". Maybe the bells are the closest thing they used, but they'r not original either.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 09:57 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I think our use of the term "remix" is to indicate that they sampled the music from the original game (or from another product like an anime or film), not that they use samples. There is a lot of music on here that uses samples, probably entire genres. (Genre is another classifier that we don't have, but may have someday.)
Old Sep 8, 2013, 12:12 PM

Look, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but you yourself stated that you "don't know much about EDM", therefore, I think you're missing the point here - a remix isn't a genre. I didn't decide to prance about this place changing classifications to "remix" just for giggles, much less, if I can be honest, to have to carry these type of trite and idle conversations.

This album carries the original music, the original source, and is playing it modified, altered, using electronic samples and beats, grooves and drops for the purposes of creating a remix, in this case an EDM, or in proper terms, an electronic dance music track. The genre this album epitomizes is dubstep, which in turn is also running a complextro form that's basically woven with glitchy sounds that are, in the simplest of terms, sampled from the very source. When it comes to it, transforming an already existing piece of music into EDM usually makes it a remix due to the abundance of modifications and sampled processes that occur, usually for the sake of adapting whatever that audio is for club playback, plus other variants.

I reckon electronic music isn't for everyone, and that it's hard for some to comprehend, especially dubstep; but whether you can hear it or not, this album is comprised of remixes.

With that said, this will be my final post regarding this matter; I really don't have the time and energy to continue doing this. If you still disagree, then feel free to change the classification back to its original state, all I'm trying to do is make these entries a little bit more accurate. I guarantee I'll keep my hands tied and stick with album submissions whenever possible.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 08:24 PM

Remix implies samples. If not syntactically (and, according to Wikipedia), then by vgmdb's categorization and nomenclature. If I understand it correctly, the dividing line between an arrangement and a remix is whether sound clips/performances are used that are not created by the person(s) releasing the album.