VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 24, 2018, 03:28 PM

Default What's up with the composer credits from the Nintendo Wikia?

Many of the composer profile pages from the Nintendo Wikia contain oddly specific credits. Many of us have perused them, but they are never cited. How did they arrive at these conclusions?

I figure that someone here must have some insight.
Old May 25, 2018, 02:03 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
How did they arrive at these conclusions?
By making them up. That's the whole story, same with all those wikis. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Word of mouth about the Nintendo Wiki specifically, from an editor: https://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?p=78581
Old May 25, 2018, 02:25 AM

That's to be expected from wikis with no sources cited for the claims. It's mostly guesswork being passed as fact. And so, the spread of misinformation throughout the Internet continues...

Then again, this is not helped by the fact Nintendo rarely credits composers on a track-by-track basis in soundtrack releases, if they release them at all.

Edit: At least, editors of the Mario Wiki added [citation needed] tags to those unverified claims. Take this page, for example, where Kondo's work on Super Mario Sunshine is mainly guesswork save for the tracks that are confirmed as his such as Delfino Plaza, Bianco Hills, Ricco Harbor and Gelato Beach.

Last edited by Frostwraith; May 25, 2018 at 02:33 AM.
Old May 25, 2018, 05:15 AM

Yeah I'm really sorry for all of the misinformation that appears over there. I swear that I take my song edits from legit sources (mostly from soundtracks and the like that I gather on VGMdb), but there are a couple of users on the wikia that keep editing the composer pages back and forth, adding unsourced info and messing things up.

Personally I don't want to get bothered correcting them every single time (I don't run that site, I'm only there to help). Kinda makes me feel guilty since I started most of those pages and I've seen a few sites online use that wikia as reference...

Last edited by RBM95; May 25, 2018 at 05:20 AM.