VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 27, 2008, 09:43 AM
VGMdb Staff

I would much appreciate it if someone could help me translate tracks 8~13 on this album. Since they are from a game which deals with Chinese history, and most of the tracks titles seem to be location names, I've had little luck doing it myself.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 02:35 PM
VGMdb Staff

And here is a photo showing the tracklist in its entirety. I've had little luck finding it typed out anywhere on the net, unfortunately. This is a problem we've got with most of the old G.S.M. releases as most (perhaps all) have this type of tracklist, with medleys rather than separate tracks for each piece...
Old Jul 8, 2008, 09:18 PM

Apparently the titles of the tracks are simply the names of the stages and some of the boss character, which are romanized into Wades Giles in the English version of the game (Dynasty Wars).

09) Da Xing Shan
10) Tie Men Sha, Tong Men Gu
11) Fan Shui Guan, Hu Shou Guan
12) Luo Yang, Nong Gang Chang, Tsu Hong Chang
13) Theme of Shadow Warrior Thung Lin, Theme of Thung Chok
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:55 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Note that the characters below are written in Japanese kanji and differ from the original Chinese script. I'm romanizing using standard hanyu pinyin, with translations in brackets.

大興山 Da Xing Shan (Daxing Hills)
汜水関 Si Shui Guan (Sishui Pass)
鉄門峡 Tie Men Xia (Tiemen Valley)
竜門谷 Long Men Gu (Longmen Canyon)
虎牢関 Hu Lao Guan (Hulao Gate)
洛陽 Luo Yang (Luoyang)
滎陽城 Xing Yang Cheng (Xingyang City)
郿塢城 Mei Wu Cheng (Meiwu City)
董旻 Dong Min
董卓 Dong Zhuo

So:

09. Daxing Hills
10. Sishui Pass ~ Tiemen Valley
11. Longmen Canyon ~ Hulao Gate
12. Luoyang ~ Xingyang City ~ Meiwu City
13. Theme of Shadow Warrior Dong Min ~ Theme of Dong Zhuo

(4th sub-track of track 11 is "Theme of Lu Bu", by the way)

Additional info: Here's the names in simplified chinese script (which will yield more results in google):

大兴山
汜水关
铁门峡
龙门谷
虎牢关
洛阳
荥阳城
郿坞城
董旻
董卓
Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:30 AM
VGMdb Staff

Thanks a lot for your help, it's good to finally have this one translated =)
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:17 AM
VGMdb Staff

hey guys I've found this non pictured cover disc. Is it a reprint or a different press?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 03:28 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
hey guys I've found this non pictured cover disc. Is it a reprint or a different press?
wow, that's an interesting find. The catalog number on the obi matches this release so perhaps the picture disc version was only a first-print/limited edition (possibly with the same kind of lopsided limited/regular availability as the FFXII OST). Should this be true it could well apply to D28B-0011 as well.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 06:35 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
Interesting yes, looks like it's a classic scitron disc (like the PCCB catalog), and like the Super Mario Bros. 3 disc.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 07:15 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Just to point out, there are some amusing "composer seals" in booklet 05 (bottom):

SUPER RHYTHM NORIDER - HARUMI
the best EI-TEL player - CHANCHAKORIN MANAMI
moonlit music creator - TAMAYO
GON! GON! GON! - GONDAMIN

Since "Chanchakorin" is used here, anybody knows (kyubi?) where the "chanchacorin" and "chanchacolin" romanizations come from?

ANSWER TO THE FUTURE: ok, you win this round.

Last edited by Dag; Apr 7, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Just to point out, there are some amusing "composer seals" in booklet 05 (bottom):

SUPER RHYTHM NORIDER - HARUMI
the best EI-TEL player - CHANCHAKORIN MANAMI
moonlit music creator - TAMAYO
GON! GON! GON! - GONDAMIN

Since "Chanchakorin" is used here, anybody knows (kyubi?) where the "chanchacorin" and "chanchacolin" romanizations come from?
Good ol' Mega Man 1 has 'corin.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6izj_VHl2YM#t=6m06s

By the way, Rockman & Forte was released in 1998.
Naoshi Mizuta was involved with that game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr-MAVWxtSE#t=5m20s)
Vampire Savior (and its OST) was released in 1997.

I think you know where I'm going with this one.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Apr 7, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 09:59 PM

Hmm, it appears I have the second print.

What should I upload? The disc is obviously different and the back of the booklet looks slightly different, but everything else looks the same.
Old May 1, 2018, 09:58 PM

I think at one point we will need to have 2 entries, this is very confusing for these "D25B" releases that have a 1st/2nd print.

I GUESS the disc content is 100.00% the same (but is it, really?), but the differences are just so major that those scans are all messy with discs and inserts all mixed up.

2nd print should be a child marked as, well, reprint/2nd print? We have some separate entries for special samples that look different, so these reprints need to be separate too.
Old May 2, 2018, 03:33 AM

Would this apply to any release that had clearly distinguishable first and second pressings? What comes to mind for me are the old Falcom albums (like the Ys and Sorcerian Perfect Collections) where the first pressing had picture discs, and later pressings did not.
Old May 2, 2018, 06:32 AM

In my opinion yes, they should have a separate entry. It's just too confusing to keep all those scans together, and it seems they can't be ordered properly too, which adds to the confusion. It's OK for those who know the whole 1st/2nd print thing, but for the others it isn't. If you split them in two entries and explain the differences in the notes, it will be clear for everybody, and again VGMdb will be miles ahead in terms of being the best and most accurate VGM database. Only problem is, we will need to have complete scans at one point, to know exactly what has changed (esp. the booklet stuff, which is rarely seen in auctions). But this will come with time and contributors.

Hopefully there aren't hundreds of cases like this, so it's not much work to do. Happy to help if needed.

Road Rash 3D needs this too.

Extreme-G has already been split properly: promo release and magazine release. Thanks to Philishave yeah.

Imagine a guy has a 1st print and he doesn't know, he comes looking for information on the album, and for some reason the page only has 2nd print scans, or the guy misses the scans that say "1st print", then the primary function of the website will have failed and the guy will leave more confused than he came, or he will think he has some other albums, or a pirate, or who knows.

What shouldn't have a separate entry is minor changes or corrections, well I'm a bit Konami-centred so the only example I have is the "Castlebania/Castlevania Chronicles" fix. I also think the "typical" sample versions don't need a separate entry because they are just normal releases with a sticker and a print on the disc ring. But when it's a special sample like Power Drift then it certainly warrants its own entry. I think there's no clear rule, it depends on "how different" it is, whether it's the disc print, the back insert or the booklet, or any combination of these elements.

Last edited by LuxKiller65; May 2, 2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old May 4, 2018, 02:13 PM

Valid reasons. Though I don't think that Extreme-G is the perfect example. On another note, imagine a sitiation where someone mixes/matches artwork from one print with another. Come to think of it...

Oh well, if the staff ever decides to split it, I can upload all the scans I have of my copy.

This message brought to you by Philishave.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:57 PM

That will need to be confirmed by people saving pics of multiple auctions/photos so we can be sure what matches what in each print.
But the chances of having someone who bought both and then somehow ended up mixing the content seem to be very very low. And in most cases it seems to follow this pattern:
- cd is different
- front cover/booklet is the same
- back cover missing on 1st print / existing in 2nd print
- bonus stuff should be the same? (stickers etc)
- tray is transparent in 1st print / black in 2nd print

What I can imagine is that the 1st print originally had a sticker on the seal? Otherwise this whole "image disc" thing is the worst case of marketing I've seen, seems like the publisher did not want anybody to know

Last edited by LuxKiller65; May 4, 2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
Otherwise this whole "image disc" thing is the worst case of marketing I've seen, seems like the publisher did not want anybody to know
Well, it did have a nipple on it. Were there any other Scitron releases with these kind of reprints?
Old May 26, 2018, 08:06 PM

I've got to make a list, yes

konami vol 1 vinyl sample also uses a different vinyl sticker, will be adding that one soon