VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:50 PM

Default What to add or not to add?

I've been searching, but I didn't see anything that answers about album types. I know well that this website is meant for video game music and anime music. However, there are albums that are unrelated to that. Some of those are allowed/kept, some are deleted.
I would really like a good explanation for why that's the case. Things like M3-28 I have no idea what that even is. There are albums here with that, and some are deleted for that reason alone.
Wouldn't there be an alternate database that keeps those albums?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:25 PM

The music has to be related to games or anime as of now.

However there are debates on what are considered animation, like disney or pixar in some people's opinions don't count and in others they do.

Doujins are unofficial music but still in relation to the games or anime like for the touhou series.

The M3-28 if in album info I am assuming it means Music 3-28

Using the Silent Hill 3d revelation movie, it is part of the franchise of silent hill, but also it holds older music from earlier silent hill games and so it is allowed.

Even sometimes audio dramas or Manga released CDs
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:30 PM
VGMdb Staff

Original work. No game/ anime connection. Artists involved have no previous official game/ anime work. They're not even doujin arists who did some fan arrangements of game/ anime compositions. Sure it gets deleted.

M3 is an event (Music Media-Mix Market) where most of the stuff released has no game or anime connection. We will keep those albums if they have notable artists involved (meaning if they have some official or fan work related to game/ anime music in the past).

Last edited by Efendija; Nov 10, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:43 PM
VGMdb Staff

If a live action movie is based on a video game or anime, soundtracks for those movies are allowed no matter who are the artists involved.

Most obviously almost any original work by a well known game or anime artist (most of the time composers) is allowed.

Also true for doujin artists which do release some original work albums - if they previously had a decent number of fan arrangement albums of game/ anime music, we'll keep their original work albums too.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:00 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We do have albums in the database that don't connect so cleanly to games or anime. Most of them come from the doujin scene. We'll often accept those submissions if they come from a good editor.

On the other hand, if even the submitter has no clue what the album is, and doesn't have the skills to make a thorough and accurate entry, then it's going to get rejected. I don't want to commit staff time to fixing it up albums that don't have a direct relation to our focus since really their time is overbooked.

That is the source of the inconsistency.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:25 AM

so what about another place that keeps albums not accepted here? is there anything like that? I've heard of vocaloid and doujn databases. But that still leaves out alot of the others that aren't as popular.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 01:17 PM
Trusted Editor

I was about to submit Kenji Kawai Cinema Anthology CD-box but had a doubt. So I PM'ed Illidan and he sent me here

If some of you never heard about this release before, well, it basically covers some Kenji Kawai soundtracks from Mamoru Oshii live-action movies + some other works.

So yes, it is mostly material from live-action movies and not from anime nor game (although one track is related to Patlabor and another one is from the arcade game "Battle Tryst").

Can this be added to the database or not?

Thanks for your input.