VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 1, 2020, 03:33 PM

Default [REQUEST] Add markers to Search Results for "Already in Collection / Wishlist"

Hi, I was hoping to request a feature be added to this site, I see that the "Changelog" thread has been quite lively lately, so maybe there's hope that this could be added since someone's already rolled up their sleeves.

So what do I mean by my title, simple, when you perform a search you get a big list, my request is to just add a marker/column/highlight/a little star/whatever to shown results that are either already in your collection and/or your wishlist.

So something like this, colors are probably not good because there are so many already, but a Star symbol or similar could work as well.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:49 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I wouldn't change the row colors, but we could maybe add a small icon like in your example, maybe next to the reprint one would look better.

In the meantime, you can perform these searches from the Advanced Search, by using the "Collection Options" and excluding albums already in your wishlist/collection.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 09:48 AM

Thanks for considering! Yeah, don't go by my (bad and quick paint job) image, it was just an example and sometimes easier than words to get the point across, point was just to have a marker of some way shown to the things already owned/wishlisted, these returned search lists can get pretty big with so many "variations" it's hard to keep track.

I like the idea of having a little "c" or "w" next to the "r", nice and clean. But I'm no web designer.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 06:08 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I've secretly been hoping for a feature like this too!

It's especially useful when you're searching for albums of a particular composer/artist and want to know which of their albums you already own.

Sometimes I'll buy soundtracks and it will feature composers I'm not familiar with at the time. But after a while, I may discover a new album of theirs and really dig it so I'll want to find more of their work. Then sometimes I'll rediscover that old album I bought but didn't realize it was this same composer. For artists with huge discographies (Elements Garden, Takeshi Abo, etc.), it can be difficult to browse through that huge list looking for something you might own. An indicator like the OP suggested would be very helpful!
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:03 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Just an heads up that part of this was implemented with today's update.

I'd also like to add it to discographies, but there were come concerns about having it always on for everyone, so we're going to add an option for it first, hopefully soon.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 03:27 PM

Works perfectly! I'm very pleased by this change, and it makes search results so much clearer to understand.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 04:01 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan View Post
Just an heads up that part of this was implemented with today's update.

I'd also like to add it to discographies, but there were come concerns about having it always on for everyone, so we're going to add an option for it first, hopefully soon.
I love having that disc symbol there. Very helpful!

If you could implement this feature when looking at an artist's discography, the feature would be perfect for me. So yeah, if you can make that an option we can select, that would be awesome. Thank you!
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:49 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Added the option, you can find it by clicking the gear icon on the top right of the page:

The other icons are also now hidden unless the option is enabled.

Requires a refresh to take effect.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 12:47 PM

Since you added them to artist and product discographies already, could we also get them added to labels and organizations too? An example page;

https://vgmdb.net/org/2280
Old Jul 22, 2020, 01:07 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Sure, done
Old Jul 26, 2020, 01:27 AM

Thank you for implementing this feature, it helps a lot with organising one's collection and finding new albums.

My only complain would be that it's not that easy to distinguish the normal CD icon from the CD icon with the little hand at the bottom. If I look closely I can see the difference but not on a quick glance which makes this feature a lot less useful than it could be, especially with a large wishlist.

Is it possible to change the wishlist icon to something more distinct? Something like a list or a little heart could perhaps work well.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 02:49 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff80c38 View Post
Thank you for implementing this feature, it helps a lot with organising one's collection and finding new albums.

My only complain would be that it's not that easy to distinguish the normal CD icon from the CD icon with the little hand at the bottom. If I look closely I can see the difference but not on a quick glance which makes this feature a lot less useful than it could be, especially with a large wishlist.

Is it possible to change the wishlist icon to something more distinct? Something like a list or a little heart could perhaps work well.
I was going to make the same comment. I was thinking even just changing the hue of the current wishlist icon would be enough to easily distinguish between them at a glance.

Thank you for this great new feature. I love it!
Old Jul 26, 2020, 09:07 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Added a new icon by nextday, should stick out a lot more now.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 02:18 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Added a new icon by nextday, should stick out a lot more now.
Very nice! That works well. Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2020, 10:24 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Added an option to enable the collection/wishlist icons. They will now also show up in artists, products and organizations discographies when enabled.
Would it be possible to include the icon with child albums in collection too? I have several reprints on vinyl but they don't show up on an artist page although I basically have that release in my collection already.

Also sometimes the collection icon uses the same column as the reprint icon, sometimes not. Is there a reason? (I'm in favor every icon gets it's own column)

Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:49 AM
VGMdb Administrator

@suicider: Moved your post here so all feedback about this feature is in the same thread.

Using the same column wasn't intended and should be fixed, although they don't really work as columns in order to take as little space as possible.

I'll look into getting the icon to show on discographies even if you own a reprint.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:01 PM
Trusted Editor

Okay, thanks a bunch!
Old Sep 18, 2020, 08:25 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
I'll look into getting the icon to show on discographies even if you own a reprint.
bump
Old Oct 3, 2020, 08:45 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Sorry about the delay on this. Can confirm this will get added next update, which should hopefully be sometime next week.

EDIT: actually, there's a performance concern with this on big artists so will have to take another look at it. Hopefully it will still be included in the next update.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:00 AM
Trusted Editor

nevermind, found it in preferences