VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 22, 2014, 03:34 AM
Trusted Editor

Default Super Smash Bros 3DS musician list

The musician list for the upcoming SSB (specifically the 3DS version, but I'm sure the same people also worked on the Wii U version) has just been added to the main site.

Pretty nice list! Seems like the original music for the game was written by the Namco sound team (as expected, really)

Last edited by dissident93; Aug 27, 2014 at 01:59 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:38 AM

Wow, I'm surprised to see some of those people. Kumi Tanioka is still an employee of Square Enix, right? Hamauzu, Koda, ACE were very pleasant surprises as well. My only disappointment is the lack of Hirokazu Ando and Shogo Sakai. Well, that and I would have liked them to invite even more great composers. For instance, I think Hitoshi Sakimoto could do a mean Zelda arrangement if given the chance.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:29 AM

For me it's interesting to see that Keiki Kobayashi is mentioned first among the Bandai Namco staff (all other musicians are listed in alphabetical order), I guess this means this is his last big work at Bandai Namco before he went freelance this month.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:01 PM
VGMdb Administrator

My takeaway was that Saki Kasuga is part of Bandai Namco now, think I might be the only person who cares D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
Kumi Tanioka is still an employee of Square Enix, right?
Went freelance in 2009 according to her site. She's affiliated with Kenji Nakajo's production company ATTIC these days: http://www.attic-inc.co.jp/artists/kumi/.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 02:14 PM
VGMdb Staff

Pretty nice lineup. Echo about being disappointed by the lack of Ando and Sakai. Thought for sure those two would be there!

By the way, does Kouda prefer for his name to be spelled as Coda, like it is on this list? He has spelled that way on his Facebook too. Wondering if that should be default on his artist page.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Went freelance in 2009 according to her site.
Eh, I'm only a little bit behind. 2009 was, like, just a little while ago, wasn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
By the way, does Kouda prefer for his name to be spelled as Coda, like it is on this list? He has spelled that way on his Facebook too. Wondering if that should be default on his artist page.
And it's more than just his Facebook, it's also his Twitter (and it's in the URL of his personal profile site). Maybe someone who knows Japanese could ask him through one of those how he'd prefer we write it?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 03:43 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
And it's more than just his Facebook, it's also his Twitter (and it's in the URL of his personal profile site). Maybe someone who knows Japanese could ask him through one of those how he'd prefer we write it?
I think we go with what the artist himself goes by. I recently changed Yu Miyake to Yuu because that's how he goes on social media.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:15 PM

But I thought of this more as something he did because it's like, "Heh, I can make a pun out of my name and a music term," rather than, "My surname is Coda." I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:13 PM
Trusted Editor

Even if that's true, it would still be pronounced the same as "Kohda" right? So it seems more like an official romanization than just a punny alias, but can still be both. Would anybody object to his profile being renamed?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 01:52 AM
VGMdb Administrator

They posted four new samples: Kirby's Dream Land, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Mega Man 2, and Nintendogs.

I think this set is a lot stronger than the first one, Kouda covering Nintendogs with vox is legendary and Hamauzu does good things sometimes (is this based on his LEGENDS arrangement, I've never been able to hear that).
Old Aug 28, 2014, 02:19 AM

Quote:
My only disappointment is the lack of Hirokazu Ando and Shogo Sakai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
Echo about being disappointed by the lack of Ando and Sakai.
Not unsurprisingly I think so too. I guess HAL no longer has any involvement in the Smash franchise. Here's hoping Rainbow Curse will have Ishikawa, Ando and Sakai working on it. I will melt.

Are we even sure what music Shogo Sakai wrote for Brawl anyway? I mean I could guess it's most of the original music but it isn't clear (*groan*)

Anyway, I'm sure the games will have some great new arrangements. The original music in the Smash games is often overlooked anyway.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
For me it's interesting to see that Keiki Kobayashi is mentioned first among the Bandai Namco staff (all other musicians are listed in alphabetical order), I guess this means this is his last big work at Bandai Namco before he went freelance this month.
Haha, when did the official site add the "* Currently works freelance." note?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 07:20 PM

Yusuke Takahama
Old Sep 11, 2014, 08:53 PM
Trusted Editor

The original music was written by Junichi Nakatsuru, Keiki Kobayashi, Hiroki Hashimoto, Hiroyuki Kawada, Eriko "Torine" Sakurai, Akihiko "LindaAI-CUE" Ishikawa, and Yoshinori Hirai. (via staff roll)