VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:39 AM

Is this for real? It's not listed on Wavemaster's page yet.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:36 AM

It's real. I've seen this happen many times. For some reason, certain online shops put up the product listing before it hits the publisher's official site. Amazon and CDJ both have it up for pre-order already.

So we're getting the Sonic 1+2 OST and now this. Sega, I really love you more than usual lately. Plus this is finally a reason for me to buy one of these "20th Anniversary Edition" things since Sonic CD never saw a proper soundtrack release until now.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:52 AM

... ih uhghmn e.fnjg *ineffable*
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:11 AM

Please be the Japanese version and not the American crappy ones.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_miker View Post
So we're getting the Sonic 1+2 OST and now this. Sega, I really love you more than usual lately. Plus this is finally a reason for me to buy one of these "20th Anniversary Edition" things since Sonic CD never saw a proper soundtrack release until now.
I agree! I love this soundtrack, or at least the japanese version of it - but I wouldn't mind if they bundle both into one package. Doubt that will happen, though. All these previous 20th Anniversary releases were single discs, so I just hope they don't screw this one up.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:27 PM

If its Japanese, the composers are Naofumi Hataya and Masafumi Ogata.

I am extremely knowledgable on ALL THINGS Ys and LUNAR. If you have a question about either series, ASK AWAY! I will answer it to the best of my ability!

Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:18 AM

^^^indeed, and one hopes that there's further clarification on that. i'd like to think the american songs would be included too.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 06:29 PM

I also hope they list who composed each track. That's been a mystery for quite a few years.

Last edited by KooshKoosh; Sep 29, 2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KooshKoosh View Post
I also hope they list who composed each track. That's been a mystery for quite a few years.
If you look here,

http://segaretro.org/index.php?title...ta&redirect=no

and

http://segaretro.org/Naofumi_Hataya

there is quite a detailed description of what each of the guys composed/arranged.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:38 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEATWART View Post
If you look here,

http://segaretro.org/index.php?title...ta&redirect=no

and

http://segaretro.org/Naofumi_Hataya

there is quite a detailed description of what each of the guys composed/arranged.
That breakdown was put together by a former member of these forums, and most of it is speculation.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:07 AM

oh he is actually posting those speculations as if they are facts now? glad he doesn't hang here anymore.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:17 AM

Seems like this is a great year to be a gamer
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
That breakdown was put together by a former member of these forums, and most of it is speculation.
Wasn't aware of that. Those credits seemed awfully detailed for speculation! Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully this CD release will include the true credits then.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:04 AM

Confirmed by Jun Senoue that this will be the JP/EU version of the soundtrack.

https://twitter.com/#!/crush40/statu...13995136954368

Also, he just tweeted that "you can find something interesting on this release" so I'm hoping that means a remix by him and/or a Crush 40 vocal.

https://twitter.com/#!/crush40/statu...12920765980674
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:40 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_miker
Also, he just tweeted that "you can find something interesting on this release" so I'm hoping that means a remix by him and/or a Crush 40 vocal.

https://twitter.com/#!/crush40/statu...12920765980674
Maybe it's this
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:15 PM

Ugh, keep Crush 40 out of my Ogata/Hataya electronic music please. I hope the surprise tracks are the "Sonic 6290 Mix" and "Sonic After-6290 Mix" tracks from those rare magazine CDs!
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:30 AM

Jun Senoue confirmed on Twitter that the bonus track is a Crush 40 vs. Cash Cash version of "Sonic Boom"
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:15 AM

The question is not how much music is Crush 40 gonna ruin, the question here is what are they gonna include of the OST, if they put the original recordings with the PCM tracks everything will be fine, but if they simply copy the CD tracks from the final version and those only, then the 20th anniversary will officially be a disaster.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:56 PM

Awesome that this is getting an official release, but I'm kinda bummed that it doesn't also include the music from the American release. Ah, well. Can't always have everything. Looks like I'll have another Sonic album to buy this year.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
Awesome that this is getting an official release, but I'm kinda bummed that it doesn't also include the music from the American release. Ah, well. Can't always have everything. Looks like I'll have another Sonic album to buy this year.
I think at some point, the US soundtrack was released ("Sonic Boom" if I recall correctly was its title.) I can't really blame SEGA for not releasing this stuff here. Video game soundtracks, sheet music, collectibles etc... just don't sell as well in the US as they do in Japan except in rare cases.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:26 AM

Honestly if anyone really wants the US soundtrack just buy the game. The CD has redbook audio. That's how I've been listening to it for years.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:28 AM

Ghaleon, the point is, the original redbook tracks are very flawed. Way too short, low volume, and could definitely use some remastering. I'm hoping they fix this with the soundtrack release. Also, good point made about the Past tracks. There are rips of them out there, but it would be nice to get clean versions. Possibly even at high quality how they were originally meant to sound. And knowing who actually composed what has been something that's been bugging me for YEARS. And no offense to Nielson or Crush, but I agree with Koosh that it should be strictly Hataya and Ogata-related only. Sonic Boom already received an official CD release and Crush's style seems like it would clash.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:02 AM

Apparently on the limited Sonic Boom CD the Sonic CD tracks were extended. O_O I'd love to hear the longer tracks myself but $40-70 for that disc is a bit much when I already have the music on the Sega CD. I'll definitely be buying this CD though to finally hear the original Japanese soundtrack.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 02:22 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I know we let this slide a lot, but we really need more information about the artists that were submitted:

1) What tracks are they credited for?
2) What is the source of this info (website, scans, VGMdb cross-checking)?

Failure to do this makes a lot more work for staff (particularly me) to try to verify the edits.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 04:37 PM

Naofumi Hataya composed every track with the exception of (possibly) "Sonic - You Can Do Anything", "Cosmic Eternity - Believe in Yourself", and the last few.

The rest are all Richard Jacques, except the last few which list the artists that remixed the songs. Sonic Retro's wiki, in addition to many others, confirm Hataya as working on the JP soundtrack, and Jacques composing the American version.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 04:59 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan422 View Post
Naofumi Hataya composed every track with the exception of (possibly) "Sonic - You Can Do Anything", "Cosmic Eternity - Believe in Yourself", and the last few.
I don't think this is true at all? The game specifically credits both Hataya and Masafumi Ogata as BGM composers and arrangers, and an old Radio DC page credits the good future version of Tidal Tempest to Ogata.

Also, end credits confirm "Sonic - You Can Do Anything" is Ogata's and "Cosmic Eternity - Believe in Yourself" is Hataya's.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan422 View Post

The rest are all Richard Jacques, except the last few which list the artists that remixed the songs. Sonic Retro's wiki, in addition to many others, confirm Hataya as working on the JP soundtrack, and Jacques composing the American version.
Wrong. Spencer Nilsen and David Young composed the American soundtrack.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:49 AM

i think the information should be removed until it can be verified. it's just confusing otherwise.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 07:22 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I've removed the artists. Maybe we should wait for the scans.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:26 PM

Ya, Richard Jacques didn't take over Sonic's tunes until 3D Blast on the Saturn. He did that and Sonic R but not CD.

Also, anyone else here wish that this CD was a 2 disc set with both the Japanese and the US soundtracks included together? Especially if the US CD had the extended tracks from that rare "Sonic Boom" album. You'd think by now that there would be some interest in Japan to hear our version.