VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 8, 2015, 06:31 PM
VGMdb Staff

@Hellacia
From the New World is in the logo
http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/shinsekaiy...fade_logo2.png
and the logo is on the discs (the picture here is small, true, so you couldn't have noticed it).

Last edited by Efendija; Jan 8, 2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 08:17 PM

Cool, but then "from" is lowercased. Good catch though.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:27 PM
VGMdb Administrator

A lot of shows have an official English title, so unless you own the thing (or have a really complete scan set) it's better to always assume that they are going to have the official English title printed somewhere.

For Oregairu it's in the disc tray (and probably in the booklet): http://auction.thumbnail.image.rakut...0465649130.jpg

Granted, this is kind of an edge case since the entry should only concern the enclosed disc and not the rest of the package, but here we're talking about an official English title, not a localized one that comes from whoever licensed the show (and might even change across different licensors).

Last edited by Illidan; Jan 8, 2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:01 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Cool, but then "from" is lowercased.
To continue nitpicking, no, not necessarily lowercased, it could be just the style of the font (what, that middle part eh... strikethrough? It can still be uppercase, random example font "Eraser Dust" does this slightly to its version of F).

More importantly, you also have Facebook & Google+ official JP anime pages (both links are on TV asahi's site too) that give "From the New World".

Why not simply leave it as how it was originally entered...
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:00 AM

Because I see a lowercase f. Compare.

F
f

The lowercase f curls up at the end and the slash through the middle extends through both sides of the stem. I have just exactly described the f this title was written with as well. That's why I changed it, because everything about it tells me that it's a lowercase f and we honor capitalization exactly the way it is on this website and this would just be one in a million cases where the Japanese applied random wacky capitalization to a title. But if we're going to branch out to Facebook pages and every other crazy-ass thing that isn't the material we have right in front of us, cool, change it back man. Whatever.

Illidan: Okay, cool. I personally always thought that any entire thing that an enclosure comes with is grounds for relationship to the entry's information since it is the total packaging. I personally would add a scan of the full package's cover rather than just having a picture of the disc (unless it comes in a smaller package with a cover of its own) so I'm not at all opposed to using stuff it came in to help determine the name. This is definitely the reason I like having scans though. Even if somebody just did 200 DPI not fixed up scans, it would be fine. I think everyone thinks they have to do professional scans and it will be a big deal but I digress
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:29 AM
VGMdb Staff

What about the f type that has its lower part "falling down"? At least I can rule that one out from this, yeah...

I don't know the name of this exact font (to be honest I don't care), I can't find it and compare its upper & lower case style so it's not the end of the world to keep it as the original submitter did. But sure, whatever either way.

Also, we definitely do not always honor exact capitalization, especially for non-Japanese albums because if we did, everything would be at least 50% more in all caps (practically a double standard but all caps don't look nice for most people).

Last edited by Efendija; Jan 9, 2015 at 12:34 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:43 AM

I know we don't honor it a lot, but to me that just seems like another inconsistency that confuses people because we say that we do it. There are a LOT of albums, even albums submitted very recently, that honor all caps. Here's one that was added in the last 24 hours that does it. It's still a thing we do. It's just that there is such a high volume of albums that haven't honored it that it's nearly impossible to go back and clean them all up, so yeah sure, we "don't always do it", but only because we lack the resources to fix all the albums that don't.

So yeah, I was just trying to do the VGMdb proper title thing. I really don't care if you have reasons to change it back. A part of me thinks the whole "honor stylization oops I mean capitalization" thing is dumb anyway.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:56 AM
VGMdb Staff

It was actually some two years ago when I asked about this duality (perhaps it's less apparent now) - respecting exact capitalization more for JP albums and not so much for non-Japanese. And it didn't really get me anywhere so I stopped caring about that one.

Personally, I don't like all-caps /meaningless info

...and time to stop with the off-topic anyway.

Last edited by Efendija; Jan 9, 2015 at 01:35 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 01:05 AM
Trusted Editor

It's uppercase 'f', otherwise it would be same size as the 't' on the word 'the'. And some fonts actually do have a slash through even if letter is capitalized.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 04:18 AM
VGMdb Administrator

If it's not clear from the logo (and clearly it isn't here), it's absolutely ok to use other references such as social network pages or even stuff they print on merchandise.

About the all caps, I usually follow it if the thing is pretty clearly printed in all caps. If it's a strange font or whatever, I usually don't. It's really easy to miss it when someone who's not aware of the guideline uploads the front scan, so some albums are bound to slip by unnoticed.

Last edited by Illidan; Jan 9, 2015 at 04:21 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 06:18 PM

First i thought "dispair" in track #10 was a spelling error from the entry editor. I wonder if Shigeo wrote the name of the track on purpose because it has a meaning for him or he just made a mistake lol