VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:52 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I just made a big change set to the English tracklist of this album, but it was mostly just minor stuff: formatting of parenthesis and adjusting names to the spellings used in the English version of the games ("Ryosu" -> "Lios", etc.). The back scan and all Japanese tracklists of this game use capital Greek letters, but the tracklists at Chudah's and RPGFan have them as lowercase for no reason (δ instead of Δ, etc.), so that's fixed also.

There are a couple of Japanese names that substantially differ from the English ones, and instead of converting those to the official English names, I left them in Japanese. These are ウィルスバグ ("Virus Bug," English in-game is "Data Bug") and プチグソ ("Puchiguso," English in-game is "Grunty"). I don't really mind these being changed.

I didn't retranslate much, but I did fix an error. Track 11 was initially "stage04 (Common Wasteland Field ~ Battle)," but I'm not sure how you can get "wasteland" out of 腐葉土. Track 13's name could mean "wasteland" (荒野), but "wilderness" seems fine for that one too, so I left it as is. The bonus tracks all have 八百由旬ボーナストラック in the names, which was originally given as "800 Significant Seasons Bonus Track," but I changed them to "800 Yojana Bonus Track," where a yojana/由旬 is apparently some ancient Indian unit of length. The name still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Speaking of the bonus tracks, three of them (2.12, 2.28, and 2.37) reference the game Tail Concerto, made by the same developer. They could be from the game itself, but having never played it nor heard the music, I can't tell you for sure. Read more about the connections between Tail Concerto and .hack here.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 01:00 PM

"800 Yojana" could refer to the Ryu Book, aka Book of 1000. I know it's not the same number, or really even close, but in the Limited Edition there is a "800 Significant Seasons Open" track - the sound effect when opening what the game calls the Book of 1000 in the English version. Maybe "800 Yojana" has something to do with what the book is called in the Japanese version?

Interesting piece of information: there are 8 Ryu Books in the game.

Last edited by Hellacia; Feb 9, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:37 PM

By the way, shouldn't Tomoyo Mitani be added as a performer? After all, the liner notes say that she was who sang in the few tracks that had vocals in them (such as cathedral (Delta Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground), or aura1 (Aura's Theme)).
Old May 1, 2012, 10:21 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Anything in the notes or an interview clarifying the roles of Chikayo Fukuda, Norikatsu Fukuda, and Seizo Nakata? Based on roles in other games, I'm pretty sure that the music was all composed by Chikayo and that Norikatsu and Seizo had other roles, but all the staff page says here is "sound produced & performed."

Games 1 and 3 apparently credit Norikatsu as the sound programmer and Chikayo and Seizo with "sound" generically.
Old May 2, 2012, 09:16 AM
VGMdb Advisor

In the liner notes interview, Chikayo Fukuda mostly talks about the music (field, town, char themes, etc) and Norikatsu Fukuda about technical aspects, while Nakata just comments here or there.

Piros and Puchiguso and S.E. are specifically credited to Nakata though. My impression is that Chikayo did most tracks (she answers most music questions) and Norikatsu data/programming. It's hard to say for sure though.
Old May 2, 2012, 02:51 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for checking that out. I did a little more searching on Nakata and he's explicitly credited with BGM in Tail Concerto, so even though he does a lot of engineering stuff it does look like he's composed from time to time. I'll leave him linked as a composer because of those confirmed pieces from the liner notes, but I moved Norikatsu Fukuda to just programming for now.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
"800 Yojana" could refer to the Ryu Book, aka Book of 1000.
You might have been on the right trail with that seeing as the "Book of 1000" in the Japanese version of G.U. is written as "八百由旬ノ書."
However, I think the Ryu Books themselves are listed as "八百由旬の書" in IMOQ and "劉の書" in G.U.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 02:39 AM

Is the track length for 1.18 correct? It seems strange that it would be 2 minutes shorter than the one on the limited edition version of the soundtrack when every other track is apparently the same length or merely a second or two shorter.