VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:41 AM

A really excellent orchestra, which I discovered recently. Yuzo Koshiro is one of the presidents, is that correct?

They held quite a number of concerts since a few years in Japan, however little known is about them in other countries, which is a shame.

There are two concerts on Youtube, which feature ingredible arrangements of some fan favorite's. Unlike others like the Symphonic series or Distant Worlds, they stick close to the original source material, however with a few very interesting twists here and here. Please check them out!

Symphonic · Gamers ~Investigation of the Adventure That Drives Us~
シンフォニック・ゲーマーズ ~僕らを駆り立てる冒険の調べ~

Date of Performance: October 23, 2016 at NHK Hall, Tokyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Ab4xv2n7k

0:00 Pokémon Red & Blue [~Opening~ / Theme of Pallet Town / Road to Viridian City - From Pallet / Cycling / Team Rocket Hideout / Victory Road / Last Battle (VS Rival)]
10:58 Monster Hunter [Proof of a Hero / Howl ~ Rathalos / Sparkling Blue Light ~ Zinogre / The Voracious Devil ~ Deviljho / Empress of Flame ~ Teostra & Lunastra / Red Afterglow Running in the Darkness ~ Nargacuga / Scorching Blade ~ Glavenus]
24:55 Chrono Trigger [Chrono Trigger / Guardia Millennial Fair / Wind Scene / Ocean Palace / Frog's Theme / Battle with Magus]
38:25 Mother 1+2 [Pollyanna / Bein' Friends / Eight Melodies / Saturn Valley / Fourside (Held in the Skyscraper) / Smiles and Tears]
52:27 Final Fantasy [Battle at the Big Bridge / Those Who Fight Further / Shuffle or Boogie / Sword of Fury / FINAL FANTASY~FFXII Main Theme]
1:07:20 Super Smash Bros. Melee [Menu / Fountain of Dreams / Green Greens / Jungle Garden / Peach Castle]
1:13:58 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Majora's Mask [Title / Hyrule Field Morning Theme / Forest Temple / Gerudo Valley / Kotake & Koume's Theme / Windmill Hut / Deku Palace / Middle Boss Battle / Overworld]

* Highlights are Pokémon (the last section from "Team Rocket's Hideout" is really driving), the whole Chrono Trigger suite (everyone should love this!), Final Fantasy (with its nice blend of bombastic battle themes and a really really cool Jazz arrangement of "Shuffle and Boogie") as well as the whole Zelda suite (who expected tracks like "Forest Temple", "Kotake & Koume's Theme", "Deku Palace" or "Middle Boss Battle" to be in an orchestral suite? I did not, and the result is simply breathtaking!)

Symphonic · Gamers 2 ~The Reviving Heroes
シンフォニック・ゲーマーズ2~よみがえる英雄たち~

Date of Performance: October 22, 2017 at NHK Hall, Tokyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtmB8Bz_2dQ
Final Fantasy [Eternal Wind / Rebel Army Theme / Chaos' Temple / Revealed Truth / The Decisive Battle]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGZtPht11pg
Donkey Kong Country 2 [K.Rool Returns / Welcome to Crocodile Isle / Jib Jig / Mining Melancholy / Stickerbrush Symphony / Haunted Chase]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zq-Qda-D3Y
Suikoden II [Opening BGM / Reminiscence / Those Who Don't Work Don't Eat / One Minute Showdown / The Even More Glorious, Beautiful Golden Capital / Confrontation with Monsters Again / Gothic Neclord]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESy_tQfGjaE
Mega Man 2 / Mega Man 3 [Title / Wood Man Stage / Gemini Man Stage / Snake Man Stage / Spark Man Stage / Dr. Wily Stage 1]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYpRvb5u3Ho
Nobunaga's Ambition: Chronicles of the Ascension / Ascension [Overture / Spirited Battlefield / Distant Field / Flowery Wind / Between Two People with no Equal / Focal Aim of Troubled Times / Roaring at the Earth / An Isolated Roar]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUQTID__NX4
Super Mario World / Super Mario 64 [Title / Ground BGM / Boss / Main Theme / Slider / Dire, Dire Docks / Bowser's Road / Staff Roll]

Suikoden II, Suikoden II, Suikoden II !!! I, like many fans before me, cried tears when seeing a fan favorite finally gets a musical treatment it deserves! The whole suite is breathtaking and should move every fan to tears, from the "Opening" through the piano-based "Reminiscence" to a really REALLY surprising and comical interlude with "One Minute Showdown" (you remember, the Cooking Contest Mini Game music) until it burst into dramatic with the concluding "Gothic Neclord", one of the best battle themes from the series. Awesome!

Donkey Kong Country 2's suite is also gorgeous, from the beginning to the end. Everyone should know the themes by heart and love this arrangement!

I may also highlight the Mario suite, which includes charming arrangements blended with some Jazz flair and also some neat surprises (Dire Dire Docks, Bowser's Road). Check it out!

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Feb 7, 2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 01:31 AM
VGMdb Staff

Koshiro is their honorary president along with Masanobu Endoh. Their actual president is a guy named Tadakaz Mishiya. He did an interview with Tokyo Otaku Mode three years ago: https://otakumode.com/news/538dd502f...adakaz-Mishiya.

Hopefully they can do this eventually:
Quote:
──Are performances overseas also on the horizon?
Yes. I would like to do concerts overseas. I think game music goes well with music from abroad. There’s already game music that incorporates electric guitars and symphonies, but I’d like to bring forth Japanese technical elements and take on something new where people will say, “You can’t find this anywhere else.”

──If you do begin to play overseas, in what countries would you like to play?
First would be countries in Europe. I’d also like to make it into something that would do well in America, and of course I’d like to do Asia. Basically, every country. [laughs] I’d like to circle the world and do performances! We’ll fly to anywhere we’re called!
And hopefully more of their music is released in some form. I'll take anything, whether it be a digital download or a TV broadcast.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
Koshiro is their honorary president along with Masanobu Endoh.
Sorry for that question, but what exactly does "honorary president" mean? I mean, what's his role/his involvement with this orchestra? Does he support it in some way?

Quote:
And hopefully more of their music is released in some form. I'll take anything, whether it be a digital download or a TV broadcast.
Absolutely!! Recently, there were three digital releases (Akumajo Dracula, Suikoden and Suikoden II) in forms of suites, however only available in Japan It's such a shame, we can only wait and hope that they gain some reputation outside Japan and release more music for other listeners.

Maybe someone could ask Koshiro about this situation? Someone, who is close to artists like him.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 02:39 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
Sorry for that question, but what exactly does "honorary president" mean? I mean, what's his role/his involvement with this orchestra? Does he support it in some way?
It's a Japanese term.

Basically, JAGMO was formed as a successor to the Japan BGM Philharmonic Orchestra. Yuzo Koshiro and Masanobu Endoh were the presidents of the JBPO, so when JAGMO was formed they inherited the title of honorary president.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 02:46 AM

I see. Thank you very much for that information.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:17 AM

Do we know where the footage on Youtube came from? Televised concert? DVD? I've been all over the JAGMO website and found nothing...
Old Sep 9, 2018, 01:50 AM

They are (ripped) footages from TV broacast of NHK (it's like BBC in UK, and PBS in the US).
NHK host a music festival week once a year, and it has been including a concert dedicated for video game music for a past few years. Here is the program of this year (Ocb 28, 2018, it is a free concert)
https://pid.nhk.or.jp/event/PPG03222...5110855886.pdf
Suites from Arc the Lad 2, Star Fox 64, Monster Hunter series, Shadow of the Colossus, UNDERTALE, Kirby Super Delux.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 02:30 AM

Amazing! Can't wait till the next one!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 08:04 AM
VGMdb Staff

I recorded their latest Symphonic Gamers concert: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ChEgo-8UHGBD_m

Arc the Lad II, Star Fox 64, Monster Hunter, Shadow of the Colossus, UNDERTALE, Kirby Super Star
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I recorded their latest Symphonic Gamers concert: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ChEgo-8UHGBD_m

Arc the Lad II, Star Fox 64, Monster Hunter, Shadow of the Colossus, UNDERTALE, Kirby Super Star
Wow, I just saw this. Awesome! I just love this organization! So talented young people. They really know what fans want. Hope they get a chance to play outside of Japan.

Thank you very much, nextday!
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:57 AM
VGMdb Staff

Once again, I've recorded the yearly Symphonic Gamers concert.

For those interested, here's the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rUZkd3FgkC77Oe

Sakura Wars, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, Ys II & III, Ōkami, Fire Emblem Awakening, Gradius, SkyKid, Super Bomberman, Mappy, TwinBee, The Tower of Druaga

JAGMO didn't perform this year but they were still in charge of the arrangements. Erika Fukasawa, as always, served as music director.

Last edited by cal; Dec 30, 2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 05:12 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Ooh, Ys II & III... Termination, Boys Got Wings, Valestine Castle, Strongest Foe: Awesome stuff!!
Bomberman & Mappy & Twinbee were handled with lots of fun